Final Weekend / Playoffs

ghos88t

Not talking playoff run, but seeding. Compared to teams we're battling with, it doesn't look weak to me. Hurley is another story....

games won by opponents  for 2 bonus points, for 1 & total

22 20 42 - Grundy (38 per 9 games)
16 22 38 - Martinsville
24 10 34 - Glenvar
22 22 44 - Giles
21 12 33 - Marion

Like I said, we're on the road because of our D -  2 guys can't cover trips to one side. It REALLY doesn't take a math person to figure THAT one out.

Not talking math just stated that Grundy had a weak schedule. You don't need math to realize that just common sense.    Sounds like you need someone else calling Defense in Grundy.

In 2008, there was basically no chance a 4-5 Tunstall team would win at 6-2 Patrick Co.

Played 47.8 minutes, was down by a TD and PC was about to put the nail in the Halloween coffin.

Rem. what happened?

There's an upset or two on the last week every year, usually by a "top" team. I think this could be the game this year.

The kids playing today were in 1st-4th grade when that game happened, so I'm not sure of the bearing it has on today's matchup.

I hate the transitive property as much as anyone, but Dan River played Appomattox to a virtual draw, and Appomattox ran Altavista off the field. Absent some contagion or mass injury that we don't know about, Dan River should be very heavily favored.

I dunno - DR's got a good chance to lose vs Alta.

Not happening.

Grundy's weak schedule. ROTFLMAO.

They'll be on the road because the D got an F last Friday night.

Grundy can't defend the deep pass.  Didn't last year on Rose Ridge, didn't this year next to the 'Y'.

Grundy has a weak schedule other than Richlands and Hurley the rest of the teams are weak.

Exactly.  Ridgeview went through the gauntlet of the Mountain and had tough non conference games against Paintsville and Marion.  The difference showed on the field last week.

Not happening.

Grundy can't defend the deep pass. Didn't last year on Rose Ridge, didn't this year next to the 'Y'.

Exactly. Ridgeview went through the gauntlet of the Mountain and had tough non conference games against Paintsville and Marion. The difference showed on the field last week.

Just as it did when Grundy beat Wise.

Since my math skills and possible scenarios have been questioned? I'll post this for you to look at and do a little figuring.

VHSL Rankings Average (points)

#3 Richlands. 26.20000

#4 Union. 25.44444

#5 Dan River. 25.22222

Richlands can pick up possibly 8 bonus points

Union defeats John Battle 28 points + possible 8 bonus points

Dan River defeats Altavista 30 points + possible 8 to 12 bonus points

Wonder who might move up, or who might end as #5 among these 3

On VHSL Helper's point layout, let's look at this:

Grundy plays 6 2A schools and 4 1A schools

Martinsville plays 1 5A school, 2 4A, schools, 5 3A schools, and 2 2A (non-district)

If Lee passes Grundy, Grundy (weak schedule) goes to Martinsville (strong schedule) = Ugly Game

Ridgeview's win over Grundy last week was not an upset, it was a toss-up game. In our pool last week, that was our toss-up game (tie breaker). 9 out of 10 picked Ridgeview to win, the other guy picked Grundy for the upset. Said he would have won the tie-breaker if Grundy pulled the upset

Since my math skills and possible scenarios have been questioned? I'll post this for you to look at and do a little figuring.

VHSL Rankings Average (points)

#3 Richlands. 26.20000

#4 Union. 25.44444

#5 Dan River. 25.22222

Richlands can pick up possibly 8 bonus points

On VHSL Helper's point layout, let's look at this:

Grundy plays 6 2A schools and 4 1A schools

Martinsville plays 1 5A school, 2 4A, schools, 5 3A schools, and 2 2A (non-district)

If Lee passes Grundy, Grundy (weak schedule) goes to Martinsville (strong schedule) = Ugly Game

Ridgeview's win over Grundy last week was not an upset, it was a toss-up game. In our pool last week, that was our toss-up game (tie breaker). 9 out of 10 picked Ridgeview to win, the other guy picked Grundy for the upset. Said he would have won the tie-breaker if Grundy pulled the upset

Appomattox is gonna finish 3rd after they lose to Amherst, Dan River will pass Union, and Union will finish 5th. Graham will be the 1 seed, Richlands the 2, via drawing a name out of a hat. 

I love the BHC and really enjoyed Sacco, but this is an error that is so simply to solve... "backfield tandem of Ryan Marston and Kelby Ford has been potent. Marston has averaged 9.0 yards per carry en route to a total of 1,315 yards while Ford has powered to 470 yards while also excelling on defense. Marston will make a run for the SWD rushing title tonight behind his solid offensive line."

Marion is not in the SWD. 

Appomattox is gonna finish 3rd after they lose to Amherst, Dan River will pass Union, and Union will finish 5th. Graham will be the 1 seed, Richlands the 2, via drawing a name out of a hat.

For the record you've been very confident that Appomattox was going to win that game for the last 3 or so weeks lol

For the record you've been very confident that Appomattox was going to win that game for the last 3 or so weeks lol

Yep. I was. But something tells me that Amherst is gonna shock the world tonight. I'll probably be wrong, but it's fun talk about anyways. 

I have family that work near Appomattox and their fans say that Appo of last year wouldn't have trouble against Amherst this year but they don't feel that Appo of this year has the confidence to get past Amherst. I thought they returned a lot but from what they're saying, they lost many of their impact players.

My buddy from Coeburn was convinced that Apomattox was going to win the game too, even after me trying to convince him early in the season that Dan River and Amherst could potentially beat them.  Dan River came and went, and he still was on the Appomattox train until he read an article on Amherst this week and now he's turned a swift 180 and thinks Amherst will win now.

DR sits at 227 pts. They will get 32 pts with a win over Altavista. They will also get 4 pts for the Nelson/Gretna and Chatham/WC games regardless of the winner. That's 263 guaranteed pts.

Union sits at 229 pts. They will get 28 pts with a win over Battle. That's 257 guaranteed pts.

Union can get 6 more pts IF Burton, Ridgeview, and Lee all win. That will tie DR's minimum pt total. Regular season is over for Richlands, Eastside, GC, Letcher, Crockett, and Central.

DR can still get 2 pts for each MagnaVista/GW(toss-up), Bartlett Yancey/Graham, NC(toss-up), Tunstall/Bassett(likely), and Martinsville/Patrick Co(likely). They can also get 1 more pt for Appo/Amherst(toss-up).

Everything has to go right for Union just to tie DR. DR only needs 1 thing to go right to break that tie. The Bears aren't passing DR unless they lose to Altavista.

so you're saying Martinsville's schedule is strong because they play in a district with only schools in a bigger class?

And Grundy's is weak because they play one smaller opponent outside of the district?

DUH, yes??? They play GW-Danville 4A, Magna Vista 3A, Halifax Co. 5A, Dan River 2A. Does Grundy play any teams like this.

DR sits at 227 pts. They will get 32 pts with a win over Altavista. They will also get 4 pts for the Nelson/Gretna and Chatham/WC games regardless of the winner. That's 263 guaranteed pts.

Union sits at 229 pts. They will get 28 pts with a win over Battle. That's 257 guaranteed pts.

Union can get 6 more pts IF Burton, Ridgeview, and Lee all win. That will tie DR's minimum pt total. Regular season is over for Richlands, Eastside, GC, Letcher, Crockett, and Central.

DR can still get 2 pts for each MagnaVista/GW(toss-up), Bartlett Yancey/Graham, NC(toss-up), Tunstall/Bassett(likely), and Martinsville/Patrick Co(likely). They can also get 1 more pt for Appo/Amherst(toss-up).

Everything has to go right for Union just to tie DR. DR only needs 1 thing to go right to break that tie. The Bears aren't passing DR unless they lose to Altavista.

You never know, a few of these Bonus Points Games could go either way depending on who's hot or who's cold. I have Dan River (if they win tonight) with 267 pts. Union 265 pts., Richlands 244 pts. You know as well as I do that this a little bit of guess work. But if you stay at the #4 seed, your 2nd round game may be a rematch against Richlands.