Tazewell Football

Gunz9

Nick Colobro started for the Bluefield Beavers on the 1967 and 1968 football teams. In those two years Bluefield did not lose a game (20-0). He scored 53 points as an end and scored a special teams TD in the 1967 state championship win over Stonewall Jackson of Charleston. He scored 489 points in three seasons on the Bluefield basketball team. He averaged 10.91 points per game as a Junior and even though knee injuries slowed him his senior season he still averaged 8.25.  Coach Colobro is one of many that came through the Gainer system at Big Creek and Bluefield that has gone on to accomplish great things. Wish him all the best at Tazewell and it will be interesting when Bluefield and Tazewell meet on the gridiron this fall.

Bluefield football 1967 and 1968

26-00  H  Elkins

13-06  A  Graham

33-13  H  Richlands

07-00  H  Big Creek

52-00  A  Gary

33-00  A  Welch

18-07  H  Woodrow Wilson Beckley

34-06  A  Jefferson, Sr. Roanoke

34-00  H  Patrick Henry Roanoke

55-00  A  Parkersburg South

27-07  N  Stonewall Jackson

32-00  H  Elkins

26-00  H  Graham

26-07  A  Richlands

13-06  A  Big Creek

20-13  H  Gary

34-00  H  Welch

35-00  A  Woodrow Wilson Beckley

34-00  H  Man

68-13  H  Parkersburg South

Nick=stability. Tazewell needs stability. This does two things quickly for the Bulldogs, it buys time for the development and should give the fan base and parents hope and trust. I'm not saying that he will win a state title, but we all know he can coach good enough to do that. If he gets interfered with or ran off then Tazewell should just quit playing football. Good luck Coach Colobro, you are going to need it.

With High Schools approaching the end of their useful life, if not already there, consolidation will come sooner than later.  Which would you rather do keep pouring money into buildings that are falling apart or build two new building that should last half a century?

With High Schools approaching the end of their useful life, if not already there, consolidation will come sooner than later. Which would you rather do keep pouring money into buildings that are falling apart or build two new building that should last half a century?

Graham reached the end of its useful life in the late 80s...

What year did the floor in the classroom(s) fall in?  I don't remember all of the particulars on it but I do recall it happening.  

"In the fall of 1989, a sinkhole developed under the High School.  A student was picking up trash outside the school when they fell into the sinkhole.  The school was evacuated and in order to keep disruption to a minimum while scientists and geologists studied the sinkhole, the high school students shared the same facility with the middle school students for several months.  A "split schedule" was instituted in which the high school students went to Graham Middle School in the early morning hours while the middle school students went to Graham Middle School in the afternoon.

After it was determined that it would be too costly to build a new facility and once the sinkhole was deemed stable, the sinkhole was filled in and standard school schedules were restored.  To this day, the site is monitored for structural changes."

http://www.ghsacademicfoundation.org/history.html

Graham won the state championship that year despite the disruption.

With High Schools approaching the end of their useful life, if not already there, consolidation will come sooner than later. Which would you rather do keep pouring money into buildings that are falling apart or build two new building that should last half a century?

No...No... it can't happen it won't be good for sports! haha

Woodard was using my response to his post about Colobro being announced, which was:

"I just hope the THS parents will let the man work and not meddle. If you can't win with Colobro, you aren't winning."

GMan and others can verify it.

Colobro led GC to be one of the elite programs in VA. He took Abingdon from being a dead dog loser to a consistent winner. If you can do it at Abingdon, you can do it anywhere. Even Tazewell. If the parents will be patient and let him. There's enough talent in the pipeline.

Gee, and here I thought AHS had one of the best QBs in 3A across the state. Wow. What was I thinking? It was Colobro the whole time. Did you see all the passes Colobro made? I can't believe all those tackles he made too. He also made some mad catches on go routes. That Colobro guy is a great football player.

Dead dog loser? You can do it anywhere? You voted for Hillary didn't you?

BigO, you yourself have been saying for years that Abingdon had the talent but not the coaching. Now a good coach has come and gone and youre saying its the talent. Pick an argument and stick with it.

Sturgill was a great QB but so was the kid they had before. The Falcons did nothing until Colobro was on staff, he was without a doubt integral to their recent success.

Gee, and here I thought AHS had one of the best QBs in 3A across the state. Wow. What was I thinking? It was Colobro the whole time. Did you see all the passes Colobro made? I can't believe all those tackles he made too. He also made some mad catches on go routes. That Colobro guy is a great football player.

I think you missed the point, Big O.  Great coaches get the best out of their players year after year. Look at where some of the college programs are today because of great coaching in comparison to where they were before a significant coaching change.  Some had the talent to succeed, but the coaching was the weak spot.  The same applies in High School.  Consistency is prevalent in great HS programs just as it is in college, not just a few good seasons here and there to offset the bad. 

As a long time Abingdon fan I can say that Coach Colabro was a great addition to the staff the past few years and we here in Abingdon certainly appreciate all he contributed to our sons, program, and community.  There is no doubt about it.  But that being said, this senior class has been by far the most talented group as a whole for the past 10 years at AHS.  So yeah the argument can be made that its easy to coach with talent.  Colabro really didn't have to coach up lesser talent the past couple of years.  Many of the senior class dedicated to football from the time they were freshman.  redtiger sorry to say it bud but only part of your statement is true.  Sturgill was and still is a great QB.  But there is light years of difference between him and who he took over for.  Also it is a totally different system those two operated in.  You can't really compare them based on that.  Sturgill wins the eye test hands down.

Regardless of the latter AHS underwent a culture change the last few years and its been in-bedded it the younger players all the way down to youth league.  So just cause Coach Colabro left to be the head coach at Tazewell doesn't mean the wheels a falling off.  They are still weightlifting in droves this winter.  Many Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors are working out on their own.  Safe to say that AHS will be just fine.  The ground work and dedication from this graduating senior class will be felt for years to come. 

As a long time Abingdon fan I can say that Coach Colabro was a great addition to the staff the past few years and we here in Abingdon certainly appreciate all he contributed to our sons, program, and community.  There is no doubt about it.  But that being said, this senior class has been by far the most talented group as a whole for the past 10 years at AHS.  So yeah the argument can be made that its easy to coach with talent.  Colabro really didn't have to coach up lesser talent the past couple of years.  Many of the senior class dedicated to football from the time they were freshman.  redtiger sorry to say it bud but only part of your statement is true.  Sturgill was and still is a great QB.  But there is light years of difference between him and who he took over for.  Also it is a totally different system those two operated in.  You can't really compare them based on that.  Sturgill wins the eye test hands down.

Regardless of the latter AHS underwent a culture change the last few years and its been in-bedded it the younger players all the way down to youth league.  So just cause Coach Colabro left to be the head coach at Tazewell doesn't mean the wheels a falling off.  They are still weightlifting in droves this winter.  Many Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors are working out on their own.  Safe to say that AHS will be just fine.  The ground work and dedication from this graduating senior class will be felt for years to come. 

Richlands started the Big Blue Bash tournament around 5 years ago, give or take a year.  Abingdon has brought some of the best talent to this tournament consistently each year.  Not just in one age group either.  They have brought 2 or 3 age divisions each year since the beginning of this tournament.  As an outsider, I would put Abingdon's youth program right there with that of Richlands.  They seem to have a solid group of coaches that the kids enjoy playing for.  

Not only did you completely miss the point, you did so over a week after I posted, and you did so in a manner that shows that you've mentally processed little, if anything, in the years you've been a member of this site.

But let's chase this line of reasoning down the rabbit hole.

Abingdon's last playoff win before Colobro/Reed was in 1996, for a team that finished 7-5. Prior to that, Abingdon hadn't won 8+ games in a season since the George H.W. Bush administration. The seniors on that team were in high school when the Soviet Union fell. Southbound and Falconman were years away from being born and making a quite good mockery of Abingdon failure. Richlands won 2 state titles in that span, Graham 1, and even lowly Tazewell, who is/was itself a dead dog loser, made a state semifinal.

And you take exception with me accurately calling Abingdon a dead dog loser in football?

Congrats, you just made the dumbest post of the year, and in a year with all the catfights going on over on the Basketball Board, that is noteworthy indeed.

31uT8opGysL._SX342_.jpg

BigO, you yourself have been saying for years that Abingdon had the talent but not the coaching. Now a good coach ahs came and left and youre saying its the talent. Pick an argument and stick with it.

Sturgill was a great QB but so was the kid they had before. The Falcons did nothing until Colobro was on staff, he was without a doubt integral to their recent success.

And without Colobro coaching, Darren Reed will drive Abingdon straight into the mediocrity from which Colobro raised it. I'm fairly certain of that.

Reed crashed and burned at Wise but succeeded at Abingdon, those two communities/schools/programs have/had many similarities. The difference? Colobro.  

Maybe Reed has matured and developed as a HC while working with Colobro, maybe not. We will see. For the players at AHS I hope he has, they are by all accounts working hard and have built a solid foundation over the past few seasons.