Tazewell Football

Gunz9

Like I said earlier, just a rumor, but he is interested. If he decides to apply and was to get it, would be a big surprise for several. Especially for his former school. It would blow their minds.

I can think of one...was a mistake to not keep him in the first place.

Well folks, I read in the newspaper yesterday that Tazewell football Head Coach Allen had been

Fired. The news did not surprise me, as rumors had been saying that changes were on the way. Well

Folks, for those that wanted change, you got it.

As many had said, when one door closes, another door opens. That is true in this case. Coach Allen

Will be missed by his players and friends that knew him best. I would think that he brought more

Positive influences to the program than negatives. Coach Allen legacy will be one of hard work and

Dedication to a program he loved, and to the players he worked so hard to help influence their

Lives in a positive way. Coach Allen can lift his head high today, knowing he gave it his all to

The young men and sport he loved. He will be missed by those who knew him as a friend, and did

Not count his success by win or losses, but by his character and desire in win for the kids he

Loved.

Folks, the revolving door in the Head Coaches office at THS has to stop at some point. Winning

Appears to be the main common denominator in all these Coaching changing, but what has been the

Results? A firm foundation was set by Coach Allen I presume, just like most Coaches. A foundation

That called for winning, but also for building character and self esteem in his young men that he

Coached.

Well, here we go again. The search is on for another Head Football Coach at Tazewell. Seems like

I have heard that phrase before. To the new Coach, I wish whoever it is The very best in producing a winning team in terms of wins and loses at Tazewell. If you don't, well That bus that Coach Allen was kicked under, well, you will probably find yourself under it too if You lose more games than you win.

May God Bless Coach Allen, and May God lead him in the right direction for the sport he loves.

I don't know Shane well but do know him through friends.  At some point, the situation becomes toxic and potential coaches with options aren't going to be willing to take a chance on a program that can't get out of it's own way.  At that point, potential coaches without other options is all Tazewell will be left to choose from.  And those coaches are generally out of other options for a reason!

Looking at the situation from afar, it would appear leadership struggles making personnel decisions causing them to waffle and shift directions rapidly.  Could this be the root issue?  I don't know but five coaching changes in nine years seems like a bit much.  

Best of luck in the search....again.  

I don't know Shane well but do know him through friends.  At some point, the situation becomes toxic and potential coaches with options aren't going to be willing to take a chance on a program that can't get out of it's own way.  At that point, potential coaches without other options is all Tazewell will be left to choose from.  And those coaches are generally out of other options for a reason!

Looking at the situation from afar, it would appear leadership struggles making personnel decisions causing them to waffle and shift directions rapidly.  Could this be the root issue?  I don't know but five coaching changes in nine years seems like a bit much.  

Best of luck in the search....again.  

4 head coaches in 4 years, followed by 4 principals, and 3 assistant principals in 4 years. That is a huge problem to have when trying to build a foundation.

4 head coaches in 4 years, followed by 4 principals, and 3 assistant principals in 4 years. That is a huge problem to have when trying to build a foundation.

If you look at a school as an organization, in terms of a typical business type structure, it appears to me school board and superintendent are ill equipped to make those decisions.  That many swings and misses in key positions shows a glaring weakness in upper administration being able to correctly evaluate talent, keep talent, and provide that talent with the best opportunity to succeed.

Again, outside perspective with the limited information given on this board but that much turnover says more about those who remain rather than those who have left.

I forgot to mention that there have been 4 Superintendents in the same time period.

By that argument, Graham and Richlands should be suffering as well academically/athletically. Both school are far from struggling in either department. 

Not quite... New superintendent came in 2013 and was bought out in 2014 (She was from Fairfax and did not mesh well). Ms. Kincer (sp?) took over once they bought the previous Super out as an interim base. George Brown is the current super and, for the most part, was always going to get the job. Ms. Kincer knew retirement was close when she took the interim based job so her time as super was a stepping stone for the permanent replacement. 

Tazewell's problem is Tazewell. Never really been a lot of discipline and it got out of hand. Their current admin seems to be steering the boat back on track. As for the football coach, I cannot blame him. Who wants to endure 5 seasons of losing. Future looks remotely bright but Tazewell will tazewell and somehow mess it up (parents). 

By that argument, Graham and Richlands should be suffering as well academically/athletically. Both school are far from struggling in either department.

Not quite... New superintendent came in 2013 and was bought out in 2014 (She was from Fairfax and did not mesh well). Ms. Kincer (sp?) took over once they bought the previous Super out as an interim base. George Brown is the current super and, for the most part, was always going to get the job. Ms. Kincer knew retirement was close when she took the interim based job so her time as super was a stepping stone for the permanent replacement.

Tazewell's problem is Tazewell. Never really been a lot of discipline and it got out of hand. Their current admin seems to be steering the boat back on track. As for the football coach, I cannot blame him. Who wants to endure 5 seasons of losing. Future looks remotely bright but Tazewell will tazewell and somehow mess it up (parents).

How much did the school board pay the outside firm to find the lady from fairfax?

It wasn't an argument, it was a fact. He made reference to the leadership and I mentioned the superintendents. I know Tazewell's problems. I just wanted to throw the changes at the top out there because they do have an affect on a football program. Graham was struggling until this year and the athletes they have is a huge help in that regard. Richlands has had the same Football coach for how long now? Tazewell had 8 consecutive years with some kind of change at either head coach or principal. It is very difficult to hold discipline standards with that kind of change.

Academically, Tazewell is on par with the 2 other county schools in the last 2 years.

I can guarantee you Coach Allen did not want to leave Tazewell Football. Read the articles, he plainly states that the administration wanted to go in a different direction.

It wasn't an argument, it was a fact. He made reference to the leadership and I mentioned the superintendents. I know Tazewell's problems. I just wanted to throw the changes at the top out there because they do have an affect on a football program. Graham was struggling until this year and the athletes they have is a huge help in that regard. Richlands has had the same Football coach for how long now? Tazewell had 8 consecutive years with some kind of change at either head coach or principal. It is very difficult to hold discipline standards with that kind of change.

Academically, Tazewell is on par with the 2 other county schools in the last 2 years.

I can guarantee you Coach Allen did not want to leave Tazewell Football. Read the articles, he plainly states that the administration wanted to go in a different direction.

Sadly, name of the game is to win. Coaches are judged based on wins and losses just as teachers are judged on testing scores. Sad realization but it is the truth. 

Your argument is invalid regarding super's changing. Graham/Richlands have made a handful of post season pushes in sports OTHER than football... I know weird to think of sports exist here in SWVA. Last year graham went to state in Golf, basketball, and maybe wrestling? This year they won competitive cheer (impressive). Richlands made a deep run in football... unsure of other sports. 

Maybe the in house admin is a cause but bottom line is Allen has been there for 5 years. Sure Rome was not built in a day but in his 5 years what has he accomplished? Sure talent comes and goes but he has cycled through one round of talent thus far. 

Maybe the in house admin is a cause but bottom line is Allen has been there for 5 years. Sure Rome was not built in a day but in his 5 years what has he accomplished? Sure talent comes and goes but he has cycled through one round of talent thus far. 

Look, all i was saying is it's hard to have a lot of success with so much change. I see your point with the other schools in the county, but this is football and there needs to be stability and trust from top to bottom. Richlands hasn't had those changes. Graham has, but they have hired a coach that most of the community wanted in the first place. Plus, in Graham's case, all that talent on the field at once sure isn't hurting them at all HAHA

To me Allen had two problems that hurt the program.  One was discipline for sure.  Two years ago he had a fairly talented group of kids and he allowed them to run the show.  I believe they ended that season .500 and had the talent to be better than that.  Secondly, I don't think he accepted any input from his assistant coaches at all.  From what I understand Williams was like that at Graham.  When you're an outsider and come into a program that you know absolutely nothing about the kids humbling yourself just a little bit will go a long ways with the staff.  Right now Tazewell is going to put all their eggs in one basket with the upcoming middle school team.  When that team doesn't play in the state championship like the almighty '86 team they'll be looking for another coach.  I would like to see those kids get a taste of success but I don't see the administration, parents, or community having enough patience to allow it to happen.

I don't pretend to know the situation and I never considered the superintendent and school board serving Graham and Richlands as well.  My fault for speaking rectally rather than logically on that regard.

Something has to be the issue for Tazewell to have had that many coaching changes in such a short span of time.  It can't be completely on the coaches.  I also understand fan bases can be difficult at times but I would be more concerned if the community didn't care at all.  A healthy balance is key to a successful program.

As I said earlier, I don't know Shane but do know of him through mutual friends.  Something to note, Shane did spend a decade as an assistant under Tom Hale.  

I don't pretend to know the situation and I never considered the superintendent and school board serving Graham and Richlands as well.  My fault for speaking rectally rather than logically on that regard.

Something has to be the issue for Tazewell to have had that many coaching changes in such a short span of time.  It can't be completely on the coaches.  I also understand fan bases can be difficult at times but I would be more concerned if the community didn't care at all.  A healthy balance is key to a successful program.

As I said earlier, I don't know Shane but do know of him through mutual friends.  Something to note, Shane did spend a decade as an assistant under Tom Hale.  

No problem. Leadership probably does have some issue but Tazewell has faced this problem for some time and that is discipline. Tough to change an entire school's culture overnight. I really do not see this changing within the next 5 years. 

The coaching changes at Tazewell is overrated. One coach left after one season on his own. The other had to go for his extra curricular activities. You can say that they had 4 coaches in 4 years and it is true. You can also say that they have had 4 coaches in 13 years and it is true. And those are the same 4 coaches.  The parents at Tazewell are the main problem. 

BARRY JONES, former defencive coach at POWELL VALLEY during the championship years, now the coach at VOLUNTEER HIGH.He was POWELL VALLEY FOOTBALL,he coached the D and the line, it should be noted that old PHIL ROBBINS never won state without him.He also was at GATE CITY during their last STATE TITLE,he is just a supper nice guy and his players respond to him, he challenges them without degrading the kids, just super hard nosed without being a hard ass.THIS IS YOUR GUY IF,IF,IF YOU CAN GET HIM.