Martinsville at Graham

Graham32

They are similar to Graham in that they have a some big play-makers.  The QB Aaron Martin has eclipsed the 1000 yard mark in passing with double digit touchdowns. TJ Pettaway is very dangerous at WR. The RB Zanthius Hairston is well over the 1000 yard rushing mark and around 20 touchdowns.  (Sorry I don't have specific numbers).  They have other playmakers as well, plenty of team speed.  Dasyne (sp?) Hairston is a sophomore and is a special teams threat to take it all the way on kickoffs and punt returns. (similar to Cam Allen)... he runs the ball some too.

They match up very well with Graham.  Should be a good game to watch.  Graham's defense has made tremendous strides throughout the season, but the competition level the past few games hasn't been stellar.  We will see just how good Graham's defense is on friday, because it will surely be tested.  I still like Graham by a couple of TD's.  I'll say something like 42-28.

Also, they like a little "trickery" now and then.  They have scored on a trick play some this season, so we gotta watch out for the halfback pass or the double reverse or the old flea flicker.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/sports/Grundy-at-Martinsville-400911241.html

Seen all 10 games and don't recall much trickery except maybe passing out of the wildcat formation. Mavahi has pretty good speed but i dont know if theyre a match for Graham. The Dogs have good size on the line but in the 3 games they lost big plays have killed them. They were dead even with Dan River but a 100 yd int return for a td turned that game around and the dogs lost 24-10. Also lost to Magna Vista 51-37 and GW-Danville 35-14. Former VT d-end Orion Martin is head coach and in 4 years has really done a great job in getting the program turned around. With all that being said i dont know if the Dogs will have enough to pull the upset this Friday. Hopefully we can make a good showing, have no injuries and get ready for bball (first scrimmage today down in Carolina with all backups, all starters still playing football) Looking forward to seeing the G-Men, according to the Grundy folks I talked to last night they are the real deal.

Seen all 10 games and don't recall much trickery except maybe passing out of the wildcat formation. Mavahi has pretty good speed but i dont know if theyre a match for Graham. The Dogs have good size on the line but in the 3 games they lost big plays have killed them. They were dead even with Dan River but a 100 yd int return for a td turned that game around and the dogs lost 24-10. Also lost to Magna Vista 51-37 and GW-Danville 35-14. Former VT d-end Orion Martin is head coach and in 4 years has really done a great job in getting the program turned around. With all that being said i dont know if the Dogs will have enough to pull the upset this Friday. Hopefully we can make a good showing, have no injuries and get ready for bball (first scrimmage today down in Carolina with all backups, all starters still playing football) Looking forward to seeing the G-Men, according to the Grundy folks I talked to last night they are the real deal.

I would love to see Graham spread it out and run the wildcat once in a while with Cousin or Cooke.

Grundy's offense had more sucess against Martinsville's defense than I expected they would and that's a "red flag" for Martinsville. Graham will run all over them with that speed and good blockers they have. I wouldn't sleep on Martinsville cause they do have some true talent but Graham fans your team will win this. Martinsville will not be able to match the G-Men.

Grundy had like 160 yards on offence against Martinsville with the majority of that coming late in the game. One of Grundy's tds came on a bad pitch on a option play that the Grundy player made a great play on to take it 60 yards for the td. Grundy played really hard, but they didn't move the ball all that great on Martinsville. Next week will be a different story, where Grundy had very little to no speed, Graham will be a different animal.

Grundy had like 160 yards on offence against Martinsville with the majority of that coming late in the game. One of Grundy's tds came on a bad pitch on a option play that the Grundy player made a great play on to take it 60 yards for the td. Grundy played really hard, but they didn't move the ball all that great on Martinsville. Next week will be a different story, where Grundy had very little to no speed, Graham will be a different animal.

This may be the fastest team that Graham has ever had.  I think it's the fastest.  Some think that 2001 had a little more speed.  I disagree.  How far Graham goes will depend on the lineplay.  They have done well against most, but struggled against Giles and Richlands (bigger, more physical lines)... That being said, their lineplay has improved tremendously, especially on defense.  They have a pretty good rotation going to keep them fresh, which may help against the bigger teams.  They have started getting pressure on the qb's starting around the Galax game and it has continued ever since, the competition hasn't been great since then, however.  

Graham-28, Mville-20.

GMen are legit.

I like that you are picking Graham, but I don't think that they can hold Graham to just 28....

I'm going with something like Graham 49.... Martinsville 28.  Definitely can't afford any turnovers or mistakes against the Dawgs, however... could mean the difference in a "w" and an "l".

I like that you are picking Graham, but I don't think that they can hold Graham to just 28....

I'm going with something like Graham 49.... Martinsville 28.  Definitely can't afford any turnovers or mistakes against the Dawgs, however... could mean the difference in a "w" and an "l".

In figure for Mville to have a shot, they'll have to shorten the gfame as much as possible and try and keep the G-Men offense okn the sideline.

GMen should win easy...MV has some good speed and size, but i wasn't that impressed with them....Grundy played pretty horrible again, they haven't been right in the head since the Hurley game I don't think...just my opinion.

the #4 and #24 kids from MV that run the ball are both fast if they get the corner, and will drag a pile a few yards up the middle...these are not the kind of RBs you can just try to cut or arm tackle...but, otherwise...not really much else there. They went to an unbalanced set or something at the end that reminded me of Giles and the single wing, not sure if it actually was or not but it looked similar at the least.

I haven't seen Graham this year but sounds like they have enough speed and talent to take care of business.

Was talking to some people at MV and they said the kids were ready to move on to basketball season? Said that's all they cared about now...lol. 

I'm thinking that the MHS QB threw only 4 passes Friday night.  that hasn't been their normal M.O. this year.  pretty sure the whole crowd just sort of glossed over this game and it showed.  but even while pretty much going through the motions for a lot of that game, it was still a 4 score game.  grundy had right at 100 yards of total offense until that late scamper.

it's fairly simple in my mind, if they come out flat and play uninspired like they did Friday, then they may very well get beaten by 35.  if they show up the way they have in the bigger games this season, graham still may win, but it certainly won't be a runaway --- and the dogs have all the tools to disappoint some swva folks.

and yes, it goes without saying that basketball is kind of a big deal here! 

we're already knee deep in it.  scrimmage again tomorrow at McMichael....JVs too.

but as for football, i've been hearing that the GMen are fast?  and I heard over on preps that there's higher elevation in bluefield, too. 

ha....like mile high stadium!

maybe the boosters will buy a hyperbaric chamber for practice this week??

It's almost exactly a half a mile high, and a crazy 1500' higher than Martinsville.  You should petition the VHSL to allow the team to wear oxygen masks.  

we're already knee deep in it.  scrimmage again tomorrow at McMichael....JVs too.

but as for football, i've been hearing that the GMen are fast?  and I heard over on preps that there's higher elevation in bluefield, too. 

bit of an understatement on both accounts.  Graham has a lot of speed and yes, Bluefield is around 2600 feet.

obviously I'm asking you to speculate here, but would you estimate that graham has as much overall team speed as someone like maybe magna vista or gw-danville? 

in other words, team speed all over the field, or just 3 or 4 real burners and just kind of normal everywhere else?