Riverheads @ Galax

SWVAgridiron

These two schools are without a doubt at the top of the list when it comes to smash mouth football. I watched these two at state last year and it had to be shortest football game I had ever been to.

Galax isn't at the level they were last season and Riverheads seems to be just as good this season as last IMO. Galax better resolve whatever off the field issues they have so that they will be focused on the Gladiators. I also think Riverheads will be the best defense Galax has faced this season and vice versa. Both teams play good fundamental football. Galax seems to turn it up a few notches when the playoffs are here.

I'm going with Maroon Tide 14-10. Not sure where this game will be played due to Galax seating

The last information I had was the game is at Galax. The local sports editor has been Tweeting out directions, restaurant recommendations and parking all day.

Galax hosted Lunenburg Central in the 2011 state semifinal.

As for internal issues, they have cropped up from time to time throughout the season and are very much enabled by administration. It's my understanding, Dixon isn't happy about it but it's out of his control.

All things being equal, Dixon is masterful at knowing the opponents offense better than the opponent. If he can do that again against Riverheads like he did last season, Galax wins. Otherwise, this has the potential of being a one sided semi.

I would also expect Casto to learn from the defensive sets Galax employed last year when Galax held a Casto offense to a career low in rushing yards.

This should be an exciting matchup.

Riverheads had better do some new/different things because Galax had them figured out last year and Galax better throw some new things at Riverheads because from everything I hear they have great coaching and will have a better gameplay this year.

Hate that I won't be able to make this game

Does that place sell various craft brews from many breweries or just their own stuff?

They keep 22 different craft beers on tap, updated every few days, along with hundreds more bottled.  

Let me know if you want directions.  It's only a few blocks from the high school behind CVS.

Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:30 pm

Tide's Dougie Peoples takes aim at 3,000 rushing yards By Troy Sarver Special to The Roanoke Times

5840bc1ad5a5e.image.jpg?resize=300%2C386

CRAIG WORRELL | Galax Gazette

Galax football Peoples

Galax running back Dougie Peoples (top) is nearing 3,000 rushing yards as Galax hosts Riverheads in the Group 1A semifinals Saturday

great state

Wow... I certainly didn't expect what I saw Saturday... seemed like before my seat was even warm, Riverheads was already in control 21-0.  I think the 1A title game will be decided well before halftime on Saturday.

Some comments made following the game left me with the impression these two coaches may respect each other but they certainly do not like each other.

Hope you found a good meal in Galax at least.  The game wasn't much to see.

Some comments made following the game left me with the impression these two coaches may respect each other but they certainly do not like each other.

Hope you found a good meal in Galax at least.  The game wasn't much to see.

I stopped at Creek Bottom but didn't have time to eat... just bought some beer to take home.  Seemed like a nice place to eat though.