Graham's Schedule

Golden_Tsunami

enrollment aside, I feel like Graham will fill its schedule ( that is not mandated by district) with quality level opponents. Who gives a crap how big or small they are. If Graham is going to have a good team (which they should) they will fill it with competition... not marshmallows. Graham returning to the SWD will add some more strength to its schedule since they have to play district teams once. 

Give us a break with the enrollment crap... no one gives a damn. Hurley is small, cool. Hurley was also a good team that played a cupcake schedule. No one cares that they are a small school and PM did not care when they came to the Cliff and took your beloved season away. Good teams play good schedules... bottom line. 

Graham played up to AA while having A numbers for 30 + years and somebody wants to complain about their strength of schedule for playing their district games in a district that they were forced to play in.   Graham has about 550 students each year.  We do realize that 2A is still single A by the old numbers.... t hey just split A, AA and AAA into 2 classifications each and now call it 1A & 2A for the old single A.....  Graham is still near the bottom of enrollment in 2A.  The 1A teams they played last year included Fort Chiswell, Galax and Narrows (All playoff teams and all better than a lot of 2A teams in this area).  I don't understand the criticism.  

On a side note, I'm glad to see Princeton and Marion back on the schedule.  I always enjoy watching Graham play these those two.  

Out of district schedule will include:  Giles, Bluefield, Princeton, Central and Marion....  I like it.  Will miss playing Galax however, they were always a very good ball club that was well coached.  I liked watching them play.

Oh yeah, Graham won 2 state titles in AA while playing schools 2 to 3 times their size. 

I thought Marion was back in SWD next year.

I think they are but not positive. Ultimately, districts mean absolutely nothing. Conferences are the meaningful standings now. Basically, Marion cannot hide in the Hogo and play teams half their size anymore. 

Anyone that knows anything about Graham High School football knows that the G-Men will try to play bigger schools than they are.  They've done it for 30+ years.  Remember when Bradshaw was there they played Greenville, TN (5A) twice, Beckley, WV (3A) twice, Patrick Henry, Roanoke (5A) twice, Mt. View, WV (3A) twice.  Yeah, Graham was 2A, but there were about 25 1A schools with more enrollment.  They've played Princeton, WV, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, but they all dropped Graham because they couldn't beat them.  Of course, when they played Salem they lost more times than they won, but those were some good games!

Today, it is necessary to play a more local schedule as transportation expenses are so much higher.  But, you can bet they'll play the best schedule they can, because it makes you play your best.  I live in Roanoke now, and people down here know about Graham football, but they don't know jack about any other schools west of Giles.

I would bet they know Richlands! Especially Salem, Hidden Valley, and Cave Spring!

(Tongue in cheek post. I was originally referring to Salem '92 to make light of the situation, but then my mind thought of multiple playoff battles both wins and losses since.)

Gate City will open next year as such:

Richlands 2a constant

Abingdon 3a

Sullivan South TN 5a

Daniel Boone TN 5a

Union 2a constant.

I love schedules like this.

For VHSL Points, South is 3A and Boone is 4A, but that's beside the point.

Just giving you a hard time. :) Another tough schedule for the Devils next year!

Anyone that knows anything about Graham High School football knows that the G-Men will try to play bigger schools than they are.  They've done it for 30+ years.  Remember when Bradshaw was there they played Greenville, TN (5A) twice, Beckley, WV (3A) twice, Patrick Henry, Roanoke (5A) twice, Mt. View, WV (3A) twice.  Yeah, Graham was 2A, but there were about 25 1A schools with more enrollment.  They've played Princeton, WV, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, but they all dropped Graham because they couldn't beat them.  Of course, when they played Salem they lost more times than they won, but those were some good games!

Today, it is necessary to play a more local schedule as transportation expenses are so much higher.  But, you can bet they'll play the best schedule they can, because it makes you play your best.  I live in Roanoke now, and people down here know about Graham football, but they don't know jack about any other schools west of Giles.

Blacksburg didn't drop Graham , we played in several sports, The start of the River Ridge ended this series. And Blacksburg won several of the games. Graham hasn't been the same since the original Coach Carlock retired. He was well respected here in Blacksburg