Old southwest district

THS6805

Thanks. I reading Lil bit on google search about old southwest district. It saying district split into 1A and 2A. Im assuming that when Patrick Henry and Gate City drop to 1A. But it not saying when. I will dig up the link and I let yall read and explain Lil further. It also mention George Wythe. Was they ever in southwest district?

1a and 2a had nothing to do with it. Not sure when PH dropped, but the rest were 2a after the split I believe.

I think PH dropped in 86? when the VHSL created the divisions and the SWD split into the SWD and the Highlands.

Many teams went 7-3 or 8-2 and didn't even make the playoffs. A far cry from now when 3-7, 4-6 & 5-5 will get you in! A lot of those trips were made before the four lanes were completed, several two plus hour road trips in those days. Man how things have changed.

I think PH dropped in 86? when the VHSL created the divisions and the SWD split into the SWD and the Highlands.

PH dropped in 1989.  They were essentially replaced by Lee.

The VHSL division shift was coincidental and didn't really have any direct bearing on the SWD split of 1986.  That process was driven almost exclusively by the inefficiencies (as well as some perceived inequalities) of the 11-team arrangement.

Those were the Glory Days of the SWD....and it was brutal!

You ain't kidding brother! The travel alone was brutal for other sports besides football, going to Grundy, Graham from GC for a weekday basketball or baseball game then getting back in the middle of the night was "fun".

In football you better not lose 2 games or the playoffs were out. I remember one year in the early 80's when GC was 8-2, lost to Abingdon, and Graham in close games and beat 9-0 Tazewell 7-2 in the 10th game. I think they all finished 9-1

You ain't kidding brother! The travel alone was brutal for other sports besides football, going to Grundy, Graham from GC for a weekday basketball or baseball game then getting back in the middle of the night was "fun".

In football you better not lose 2 games or the playoffs were out. I remember one year in the early 80's when GC was 8-2, lost to Abingdon, and Graham in close games and beat 9-0 Tazewell 7-2 in the 10th game. I think they all finished 9-1

well back then winning the district meant something, and everyone with a heartbeat didn't make the playoffs in any sport...the games were better and more fun to watch...the rivalry between any of those schools was strong...it was just a better time, even with the travel.

I totally agree with Quincy.  I would say that there would be 10 or so kids that wouldn't make it through a practice.  How many parents today would like to have a "talk" with Coach Carlock?

The district was tough week in and week out.  It was a totally different type of football then.  Tazewell had an awesome team in 86.  If I am not mistaken they had three or four D1 kids.  They had the likes of Davis, Reed, Viney, Colley, Hollowary, and Peery that graduated the year before.   Richlands had Mike Compton and Adam Lallande.   Grundy had Perkins.  These were all guys that played during that era.  Gate City had Rusty Pendleton even though they weren't in the SWD at the time.  Graham went on to win the state title in 1990 I believe. 

Perkins didn't show up until 1987 or so...he was a year behind me, grew up playing football with him and JK from 4th grade on...his dad was one of our coaches. Rough bunch though from 1980-1986 in Grundy, they didn't have the best record or even a lot of Wins to show for it, but the kids loved to hit...pretty much all of the schools back then were like that. People really don't know unless you played during that time or coached or went to the games just how violent it was...we all beat the living hell out of each other, literally. It was just a different time and a different game.

We were not allowed to hang out on the fence and talk to cheerleaders or people in the crowd, couldn't take your helmet off, water was a reward especially during two-a-days when it was 100+ degrees in the cow pasture we practiced in, most of practice was spent hitting each other not running plays, Monday = gut check, not everyone dressed out on Friday night even the good kids had to earn their jersey each week, if you missed a practice for any reason you didn't dress out that week, you didn't talk back to your coaches you just did what you were told and if you did it wrong god have mercy on your soul, weight room was not in any way an optional place to hang out when you felt like it, if you didn't win the long bus ride home was silent and you could hear a pin drop...things were just different than they are now.

Perkins didn't show up until 1987 or so...he was a year behind me, grew up playing football with him and JK from 4th grade on...his dad was one of our coaches. Rough bunch though from 1980-1986 in Grundy, they didn't have the best record or even a lot of Wins to show for it, but the kids loved to hit...pretty much all of the schools back then were like that. People really don't know unless you played during that time or coached or went to the games just how violent it was...we all beat the living hell out of each other, literally. It was just a different time and a different game.

We were not allowed to hang out on the fence and talk to cheerleaders or people in the crowd, couldn't take your helmet off, water was a reward especially during two-a-days when it was 100+ degrees in the cow pasture we practiced in, most of practice was spent hitting each other not running plays, Monday = gut check, not everyone dressed out on Friday night even the good kids had to earn their jersey each week, if you missed a practice for any reason you didn't dress out that week, you didn't talk back to your coaches you just did what you were told and if you did it wrong god have mercy on your soul, weight room was not in any way an optional place to hang out when you felt like it, if you didn't win the long bus ride home was silent and you could hear a pin drop...things were just different than they are now.

^^^This. I love hearing about these times (the good ole days) from our elder statesmen. I don't know if it was quite as tough, but even in the 90s it was more similar to the above description than today. I wonder what and when it changed.

As terrible as it sounds, those were the most fun times ever! LOL Kids today have no idea what we went through just to get to play on Friday nights. Heck, sometimes just to dress out! Times have definitely changed.

^^^This. I love hearing about these times (the good ole days) from our elder statesmen. I don't know if it was quite as tough, but even in the 90s it was more similar to the above description than today. I wonder what and when it changed.

I don't know, but the further back you go the harder it was...a lot of it had to do with the equipment too...our helmets in the 80s were not as good as the 90s...the 90s not as good as now...we didn't know anything about hydration and heat stroke or concussions...tape fixed everything back then...the guys in the 50s had leather helmets and no face masks, I can't even imagine that? You were issued a broken nose with your jersey I guess...artificial turf was just a pipe dream, something most colleges didn't even have. But it was football and we loved it.

in the 70's it was salt tablets........and you better not ask for water during 2 a days........lol,  I made that mistake once.......ONCE !