Richlands vs. Appomattox; 2A State Championship Game

V-Cats

I understand it was your opinion and respect it. Just felt i should comment on it and tell how i see it. However, saying the majority of his passes were lob passes is not an opinion but a false statement. As far as Sturgill goes i cant make the comparison. They are different QBs. But from the 5 or so times ive seen Sturgill he wasnt quite as accurate as JLA but of course, more mobile. Ive not watched high school ball for the last 20 years so ive not seen a lot. But hes the best true passer that ive seen. Just curious, who was the best qb youve seen?

I know what you're saying. Maybe I just haven't seen enough games from JLA but 2 qbs that really stand out to me would be Shawn Christian who led East Mont to state in 2010 and Luke Watson of Floyd who led them to state in 2009 I believe.

First, you gotta know Im a Sturgill fan....the kid commands (or commanded) the offense like nobody else in the area..IMO. The RPO they ran was top notch and he ran it well. Having said that, what impresses me about JLA is the fact the defense knows he's going to throw it every play...that's not even a question. Yet he still completes a ton of passes. He also has the benefit of really good WRs and that most definitely makes a QB look better. But I can't help but think that if they (Richlands) had any kind of run game then he would be even better. I'm not blaming the coaching staff, if you don't have a kid that can run then you go with what you have. And they've done that very well this year.

I know what you're saying. Maybe I just haven't seen enough games from JLA but 2 qbs that really stand out to me would be Shawn Christian who led East Mont to state in 2010 and Luke Watson of Floyd who led them to state in 2009 I believe.

Shawn Christian was an excellent leader but an absolute headcase.  I saw Jake Phillips play at Bath County several times as well as William & Mary.  Pound for pound, probably the best "local" QB I have seen.

I saw Brock Berlin and Drew Brees play several times each while in the military.  Nothing I have seen locally compares to that.  No offense intended to anyone, just sayin.

The THROW....The CATCH... perfection...(photo via print in Bristol Herald Courier)

5843810e6c064.image.jpg?resize=1031%2C76

Emily Ball | Richlands News Press

Richlands receiver Scottie Ball hauls in a touchdown pass over a pair of Stuarts Draft defenders with seconds remaining. The score set up a game-winning 2-point conversion, also caught by Ball.

Thanks. Will have to see if i can find some video on those guys.

For those of you who are more familiar with the drive, what time would i have to leave Cedar Bluff to get to Salem Stadium by 4:30? I know google maps says 2 hrs 18 mins. Was just wondering if that was accurate. Sadly i have to work and probably the earliest i would be done would be around 2. So it would be close.

For those of you who are more familiar with the drive, what time would i have to leave Cedar Bluff to get to Salem Stadium by 4:30? I know google maps says 2 hrs 18 mins. Was just wondering if that was accurate. Sadly i have to work and probably the earliest i would be done would be around 2. So it would be close.

I interned with the Salem Red Sox this summer. I made countless drives after a home stand back to Richlands. It never once took me longer than 2:20.

I interned with the Salem Red Sox this summer. I made countless drives after a home stand back to Richlands. It never once took me longer than 2:20.

Thanks. Never been to the stadium. Hows the parking? Good enough to find a spot and make it inside in 10-15 mins?

Quality place to watch a game, I will wish you good luck now and I'll do it again later in the week, maybe we can even throw up a prayer or two. Appomattox is as good as advertised and I hope everything that can go wrong for them does but then Richlands is going to have to be near perfect to win. Is Appo the best team in any class?

Quality place to watch a game, I will wish you good luck now and I'll do it again later in the week, maybe we can even throw up a prayer or two. Appomattox is as good as advertised and I hope everything that can go wrong for them does but then Richlands is going to have to be near perfect to win. Is Appo the best team in any class?

They're the best in 1A-3A. I'd probably favor Salem and Dinwiddie in 4A, but it would be a very competitive game. 5A and 6A is a whole different beast...