Richlands vs. Appomattox; 2A State Championship Game

V-Cats

Can someone give a physical address to the stadium (for GPS) and the name of the stadium (heard Victory Stadium ? ).

Victory Stadium used to be near Memorial Hospital in Roanoke but no longer exists.  It was a complete dump when they tore it down 10 years ago.  It had been condemned for a few years at that point as well, if memory serves.  The last game I attended there was Graham-PH Roanoke.  Ahmad Bradshaw had well over 300 yards rushing and several touchdowns.  That was an impressive team.  Several sections of the stands were roped off for safety concerns that night with the concrete chipping away like crazy.

The stadium in Salem is simply called Salem Stadium and sits beside the minor league baseball facility and the Salem Civic Center.

Salem looks like a really nice facility.  And as a wheelchair user, it looks very wheelchair friendly and the accessible seats are about halfway up the stands on each 30 yard line instead of down low like most high school football stadiums. 

Will be nice to watch a game without not being able to see because of the players on the sidelines, people standing in front of me, etc.  At 4' tall, it is hard to see over anybody!!! lol

Salem looks like a really nice facility. And as a wheelchair user, it looks very wheelchair friendly and the accessible seats are about halfway up the stands on each 30 yard line instead of down low like most high school football stadiums.

Will be nice to watch a game without not being able to see because of the players on the sidelines, people standing in front of me, etc. At 4' tall, it is hard to see over anybody!!! lol

Salem stadium is top notch. The NCAA D3 national championship game is held there. I think the stadium holds around 7 or 8 thousand. Like Mitchell, equal seating on both sides. Mac and Bob's in Salem is a great place for lunch before the game.

Good luck Blues.

Who would you say is the best youve seen?

IMO the kid at Abingdon(sturgill?) is a better QB than Asbury,,,but just my opinion

Best dual threat QB i've ever seen in high school....and it's not close Vic Hall....kid was amazing

Best traditional QB i've seen is the McSorley kid at Penn State now....saw him at Briar Woods against Christiansburg in title game

I will have to think on this to see if I am missing someone(which I probably am) I've watched a lot of High School football over the years

Does anyone know of an instance where an ejection was overturned by the VHSL?

Pretty sure there was an Appalachia player in 1993 ejected in half state and somehow got to play in the state game. Not sure the circumstances on how he was able to play though.

Why would Stuarts Draft have anything to do with it? I mean the VHSL would be the ones to deny it right?

Stuart's Draft denied it. For a successful appeal, both coaches and principals have to agree and then it's sent to the VHSL. If both principals agree, it's generally overturned. Someone has sour grapes. Oh well. We will put a gameplan in place and go play the game in front of us. I have faith in our coaches and kids.

IMO the kid at Abingdon(sturgill?) is a better QB than Asbury,,,but just my opinion

Best dual threat QB i've ever seen in high school....and it's not close Vic Hall....kid was amazing

Best traditional QB i've seen is the McSorley kid at Penn State now....saw him at Briar Woods against Christiansburg in title game

I will have to think on this to see if I am missing someone(which I probably am) I've watched a lot of High School football over the years

I remember that Mcsorley kid. Never watched him play but thats when BW was really good. Had that Carter kid too that went to Stanford i believe. I recall seeing Harrisonburg and BW as i was leaving the 3a title game in 2010. Harrisonburg had some huge kids and BW looked really small. Was thinking Harrisonburg would destroy them. Wasnt the case.

Stuart's Draft denied it. For a successful appeal, both coaches and principals have to agree and then it's sent to the VHSL. If both principals agree, it's generally overturned. Someone has sour grapes. Oh well. We will put a gameplan in place and go play the game in front of us. I have faith in our coaches and kids.

Of course they would deny it. Probably without even looking at film. Would love to see the film on the second penalty.

Why would Stuarts Draft have anything to do with it? I mean the VHSL would be the ones to deny it right?

Both Principals have to agree to overturn the ejection.  Apparently their Principal thought what he did was deserving of the ejection.

Of course they would deny it. Probably without even looking at film. Would love to see the film on the second penalty.

Story I'm getting from the Draft side is that the 2nd penalty could have been questionable, but the kid's behavior in response to it was not. Apparently his resistance to leaving the field and then his behavior on the sideline after the ejection (kicking equipment and ranting) made a definite impression. Very regrettable because that part was completely avoidable and was probably the deciding factor.

Story I'm getting from the Draft side is that the 2nd penalty could have been questionable, but the kid's behavior in response to it was not. Apparently his resistance to leaving the field and then his behavior on the sideline after the ejection (kicking equipment and ranting) made a definite impression. Very regrettable because that part was completely avoidable and was probably the deciding factor.

Wow, very interesting. If the call was made incorrectly and shouldnt have been called, the rant doesnt happen. But looking at it from Howie's perspective, if he felt it was a bad call that got him ejected i can definately see the frustration. Not sure if looking at the sideline behavior after possibly a bad call is the right way to look at it. My opinion of course.

I thought only Graham players acted like this. Learned something new today.

Wow, very interesting. If the call was made incorrectly and shouldnt have been called, the rant doesnt happen. But looking at it from Howie's perspective, if he felt it was a bad call that got him ejected i can definately see the frustration. Not sure if looking at the sideline behavior after possibly a bad call is the right way to look at it. My opinion of course.

Frustration is understandable. But that's no license to misbehave.

To clarify, my reliable source said that they personally didn't really witness the interaction that led to the flag, but the kid really showed himself in response to it. No official comment on the call being incorrect. Draft admin probably agreed with the call. But Howie made it too easy for them and removed any chance of grace completely of his own accord.

That's the takeaway from the insight.