Richlands vs. Appomattox; 2A State Championship Game

V-Cats

https://www.facebook.com/chandler.blankenship/videos/10154598022856023/?autoplay_reason=gatekeeper&video_container_type=1&video_creator_product_type=2&app_id=350685531728&live_video_guests=0

Good luck keeping calm when yo watch that. Hell yeah, Chandler.

Appomatox people are tore all to pieces over this video. Good grief.

https://www.facebook.com/chandler.blankenship/videos/10154598022856023/?autoplay_reason=gatekeeper&video_container_type=1&video_creator_product_type=2&app_id=350685531728&live_video_guests=0

Good luck keeping calm when yo watch that. Hell yeah, Chandler.

Appomatox people are tore all to pieces over this video. Good grief.

I know! Literally not a disrespectful word towards Appo. 

Appomattox - 45

Richlands - 14

And there's no shame in that. 2016 Appomattox is the best 2A team since the pure 6A switch 5 seasons ago, and would be be right up there with, and perhaps the best of, the greats of D2 and D3 of the 2000s.

I hope Richlands pulls the upset. It would be the biggest upset in a state title game that I can ever remember. I badly want to see young men from this area succeed, because a lot of folks from SWVA don't have the advantages that other young men from other parts of this state have. It isn't like NOVA, where their young men are born on 3rd base thinking they hit a triple. Our young men scratch and claw for any bit of that which can be earned.

I wish them the best. I hope the seniors go out into the world and make themselves, their communities, and all SWVA proud. I hope the underclassmen use this as fuel for next season when the playing field will be a bit more level.

Hated to see a result as lopsided as I thought it would be, but that Appomattox team is an all-time legend. As I said before, Richlands has nothing to be ashamed of. They are the class of far SWVA yet again, and will be so long as the program there remain intact.

Congrats, Richlands, on a very successful season.

Hated to see a result as lopsided as I thought it would be, but that Appomattox team is an all-time legend. As I said before, Richlands has nothing to be ashamed of. They are the class of far SWVA yet again, and will be so long as the program there remain intact.

Congrats, Richlands, on a very successful season.

Appomattox was a good team no doubt, well coached and made few errors.  I don't think they were world beaters by any stretch.  Richlands had to play close to perfect to beat them and made way too many mistakes.

Appomattox was a good team no doubt, well coached and made few errors. I don't think they were world beaters by any stretch. Richlands had to play close to perfect to beat them and made way too many mistakes.

I think they were. They held 8 different opponents to 8 points or less (3 shutouts) and another 6 to 14 points or less. Scored 40+ points in all 5 playoffs with giving up no more than 14 points each game. What else you want to declare them world beaters? 70 points and more shutouts? Be careful what you wish for, they might end up that good next year.

Against run teams they would quick adjust and shut down, speed to the ball. Against the pass only gave enough time for the short pass and so quick just not many yards after catch. Looked like game plan in many games was to get up by more than 30, 35 and create a running clock to end it quick.

Hats to the ball reminds me of some of those old Miami teams. This team had enough to give 4a a tough test.

Congratulations to Richlands for making it as far as you did. Everyone knew it was going to be a tough game. No shame or disappointment for losing to Appomattox.

Congratulations to Appomattox. They proved that they belong on the top of 2A this year.

This game reminded me of when Giles played Appo. Tied up in the 2nd quarter, Giles got down to Appos 20 and turned it over on downs. It was game over after that. Once they get the momentum there is no stopping them. It probably would've taken a combination of Giles, Union, Richlands, and Graham to defeat Appo. Congrats to the Blues for being the 2A runner up. Will next season be a rebuilding year for the Blues? I know they are losing 5+ of their top players. Any talent coming up?

There the best team I've seen since the appy and William Campbell massacre and probably better overall. The punter and kicker are even great. Its hard to go 80 yards every drive. And with the QB and 14 back next season you guys are right they'll probably win it again next year, but hopefully someone can get em next year from our area. Union has a lot coming back, Richland's loses a lot of skill players but theyll be alright and Giles was young also.

There the best team I've seen since the appy and William Campbell massacre and probably better overall. The punter and kicker are even great. Its hard to go 80 yards every drive. And with the QB and 14 back next season you guys are right they'll probably win it again next year, but hopefully someone can get em next year from our area. Union has a lot coming back, Richland's loses a lot of skill players but theyll be alright and Giles was young also.

I was talking to one of their fans and he says they will struggle to win 8 games. I don't see it. He said their defense will lose almost everything outside of the secondary, and they lose the entirety of both lines and their two starting RB's. I don't think they'll be the same juggernaught next season, but I still think they're the favorite to come out of the central division. The west division will come down to Richlands, Graham, and Union, with GC playing a possible spoiler.

I was talking to one of their fans and he says they will struggle to win 8 games. I don't see it. He said their defense will lose almost everything outside of the secondary, and they lose the entirety of both lines and their two starting RB's. I don't think they'll be the same juggernaught next season, but I still think they're the favorite to come out of the central division. The west division will come down to Richlands, Graham, and Union, with GC playing a possible spoiler.

They have 19 seniors so they do lose a lot maybe someone can knock em out next year before state and we want have to worry anyway.

They have 19 seniors so they do lose a lot maybe someone can knock em out next year before state and we want have to worry anyway.

I know the state goes to 4 divisions with 1 division winner from each heading to the final four, but how do they decide who goes where in that system? Is it like basketball where it rotates every year? 

I think i counted 17 jrs on Appomattox roster this year..not sure how many are star players except qb and wr...but they will be pretty good id say...i think the blues will be pretty good next year the brown kid throws the ball good but can run with it to...

I know the state goes to 4 divisions with 1 division winner from each heading to the final four, but how do they decide who goes where in that system? Is it like basketball where it rotates every year?

Aren't they going back to the region play again A B C D with a playing b and region c playing d in half state. Also do you know if there going to 4 or 8 teams per region.

Aren't they going back to the region play again A B C D with a playing b and region c playing d in half state. Also do you know if there going to 4 or 8 teams per region.

8 teams per division. The divisions are called West, Central, East, and North. Not sure if it's West vs. Central every year or if they will rotate it like the do in basketball. 

I figured 8 so the playoffs would still be 5 rounds

Correct. Sets up some battles in the playoffs every year in the West. Richlands, Union, Graham, Gate City and only ONE of them can make it out? Shew. The second round will be fun in years to come. Plus you can have a team like Marion or Central, Lee, etc. have a good year and make it interesting. I think I'm gonna like the new system.

8 teams per division. The divisions are called West, Central, East, and North. Not sure if it's West vs. Central every year or if they will rotate it like the do in basketball.

I would assume it would be like the old format with region A and B playing in half state and region C and D playing...to avoid even more travel