Best players from SWVA state champions before 2000.

tornado99

Who were some of stars of your areas past state champs? For me it was Brannon Breeding from 1992 Richlands. For me, he was larger than life. At 12 years old, I thought he could have been in the NFL. That was a truly great team, and provided me with some of the fondest memories of my childhood. Others I remember were Monk, Salyers, Cordle, Oliver, Crawford, Davis, Barnett, Deel, Lawson, Lowe, Perkins, Deel, and Osborne. They were tough.

I played against the Milton twins at Giles in the early 90's.  At 15-16 years of age, I hadn't ever seen anyone that quick or fast.  Not sure I have to this day.

A few years later, my brother played against a Gate City team that was more than impressive with Shoemaker, Beasley and Houseright.

I played against the Milton twins at Giles in the early 90's. At 15-16 years of age, I hadn't ever seen anyone that quick or fast. Not sure I have to this day.

A few years later, my brother played against a Gate City team that was more than impressive with Shoemaker, Beasley and Houseright.

Strange enough, I met Raypheal (spelling) at a gas station on their way to play Haysi, I believe. I didn't keep up with other teams as closely, but I remember him saying "remember the name Raypheal Milton". I was in middle school at the time. I guess I didn't forget.

I remember that GC team from the sideline.

Any '86 Tazewell or '95 Graham takers? I saw both play, but too young to remember the details about Tazewell. I remember watching Graham beat William Campbell at Mitchell Stadium in a defensive struggle which they never passed. The names I remember are Byard,Banks, and Easley. Can't remember if Latimer was in that group.

Any '86 Tazewell or '95 Graham takers? I saw both play, but too young to remember the details about Tazewell. I remember watching Graham beat William Campbell at Mitchell Stadium in a defensive struggle which they never passed. The names I remember are Byard,Banks, and Easley. Can't remember if Latimer was in that group.

Some say Sandy Rogers of Richlands from way back was a beast at RB. I wasn't alive so I couldnt verify or deny that. His name is brought up alot my grandparents and their peers.

"Beast" is exactly the term to describe Sandy. He probably would have gotten a lot more attention from recruiters in today's age of media promotion but Emory gave him a good stage on which to demonstrate his considerable talent.

Unfortunately he doesn't belong in this thread. Richlands never came close to a state championship before 1992. The 5-5 record of Sandy's senior year was cause for celebration in and of itself.

Not a Tazewell fan but seen the old clippings I know it would have been Jesse Davis for 86 Tazewell

That '86 doggie team was pretty solid from top to bottom. A lot of players from that roster went on to the next level. And they were all genuinely good guys as a rule.

And now I feel a bit light headed. Pretty sure I have never been that complimentary of anything Tazewell related in my life.

Since Martinsville is now in the West Region, I'm going to name a couple of players from Martinsville's 1975 state championship team.  Dennis Mahan was the best high school running back that I ever saw. He signed with Tennessee but transferred to Hampton University during his freshman year.  T

Even though I was only 10 and 11 when I saw him play, I'll never forget some of the moves that he made on the football field. He would run through, around or just jet by people.  Mahan was a multiple 100 and 200 yard state champion as well.  Yes it was measured in yards during those days :)

As to Sandy Rogers, he was one heck of a running back for E&H.  We were lucky to be able to see him play the 4 years he was there.

Jake was the best overall football player I've watched in my lifetime as far as high school. Mainly for standing out on both sides of the ball and he probably didn't sit out 3-5 plays per game. Best running back I've watched would be Thomas Jones and I seriously doubt that'll ever change.

That '96 team was very solid. Lost a heartbreaker at Brookville in a quagmire. A couple of writers said that year that the only team that could possibly beat them was Tech but that definitely wasn't the case. Brookville had 2 plays that worked the whole game and it beat us. I want to say the TE was Lomax from Brookville but after so many years, these things run together.

Appalachia had a lot of great players also. Travis Turner and Travis Clark were fun to watch. At the time, Turner was probably the best QB I had seen. I watched the Appy busses pull in at Legion Field one night 10 minutes before kickoff. They walked on the field, punched us in the mouth, and left.

I think almost every kid who grew up watching the '92 Richlands team wanted to be Brandon Breeding and wear number 11. 

Even some of us old farts.......LOL !

T. Monk was a fantastic QB also.  Doesn't get as much love as Brandon and a couple of other,  but he really captained the ship.  He wasn't flashy,  but just did everything well and didn't make mistakes and turn the ball over.  I was much older than he was but he was a good friend of me and my wife and I still miss him.  Died way to young ! 

Jake was the best overall football player I've watched in my lifetime as far as high school. Mainly for standing out on both sides of the ball and he probably didn't sit out 3-5 plays per game. Best running back I've watched would be Thomas Jones and I seriously doubt that'll ever change.

That '96 team was very solid. Lost a heartbreaker at Brookville in a quagmire. A couple of writers said that year that the only team that could possibly beat them was Tech but that definitely wasn't the case. Brookville had 2 plays that worked the whole game and it beat us. I want to say the TE was Lomax from Brookville but after so many years, these things run together.

Appalachia had a lot of great players also. Travis Turner and Travis Clark were fun to watch. At the time, Turner was probably the best QB I had seen. I watched the Appy busses pull in at Legion Field one night 10 minutes before kickoff. They walked on the field, punched us in the mouth, and left.

Good memory. I only saw them play Richlands, but remember Lomax from seeing it on wcyb.

In it's prime, Appalachia had some really good talent. Late 90's, as mentioned before Travis Turner and Travis Clark were possibly one of the best QB/RB duos this area has seen. Mid 90's had some great ones too. Larry Huff probably tops that list and may have been one of the best all around athletes to come thru AHS. Chris Mabe was a heck of LB. Harold Bowman was as good of a lineman as you would find. Early 90's had Kris Clark at RB and Radio Stuart at FB, they were a tough duo. The '89 state champion team had Shane Gibson at RB that carried the ball a ton. That was a special time at AHS, every team was solid top to bottom. None were really "superstars", they just all knew there role and showed up and did the work.

I would say the entire backfield for the 95 Graham team haha.

Milton Byrd over 1,000 yards rushing

Brandon Banks over 1,000 yards rushing

Toney Easley (Fullback) over 900 yards rushing

Never attempted a pass the entire playoff run.

I have to agree with Quincy that Jake Houseright was the best all around player I ever saw, he could beat with his legs a running back or with his defensive play. Of course Thomas Jones was a man among boys and Travis Turner was great in his day. Two underrated GC players were Isaiah Spivey at QB (still the best QB to wear blue) and Benny "the headhunter" Wolfe. ask Sammy Sellers from Appy. Wolfe played at Tech and was feared by the Tech players in practice.