Best players from SWVA state champions before 2000.

tornado99

I see Benny at work occasionally. One of the nicest people I've ever met, but he'd knock your head off. I had forgotten about Larry Huff, but Chris Mabe would absolutely knock your head off also. I think the other I'm thinking of was Sam Jessee? Like I said I may be off on some of these names. Getting older sux...lol

Kinda surprised there hasn't been more mention of Thomas Jones. Very little mention of any linemen. Luke Owens and Mike Compton come to mind pretty quick.

I think more would have mentioned Mike Compton..... I know I would have except the original question was about players on championship teams before 2000, that's the reason I didn't mention him.

Although I think it is starting to morph into best player without.... lol

I would say the entire backfield for the 95 Graham team haha.

Milton Byrd over 1,000 yards rushing

Brandon Banks over 1,000 yards rushing

Toney Easley (Fullback) over 900 yards rushing

Never attempted a pass the entire playoff run.

I mentioned them due to being one of the first successful teams other than Richlands that started me keeping up with other area squads. I loved watching the wishbone with them.

I remember the GC-Essex state title game, as we were walking in some Essex fans spoke up and ask if GC was "any good", and said that GC was in for a long night chasing all that speed from Essex. Well 600 yards of total offense later GC was "pretty good" Spivey set the passing completion % record that night going 9-10 with three TD's and GC has three 100 yards rushers lead by Kilgore. Very Good team. I remember driving back to Kingsport in a blinding snowstorm, man that was a long night!

My dad took me to watch the 74 GC team, I was five, he still has the program. I remember the Big Blue Cannonball and eating popcorn, and him telling my uncles that if they didn't win state something was wrong!

Any '86 Tazewell or '95 Graham takers? I saw both play, but too young to remember the details about Tazewell. I remember watching Graham beat William Campbell at Mitchell Stadium in a defensive struggle which they never passed. The names I remember are Byard,Banks, and Easley. Can't remember if Latimer was in that group.

Jesse Davis (won the Junior National college Championship at Lees McRae as starting QB) , Robert Viney (Hampton), Stephan Holloway (Va Tech), Quentin Reed (ETSU). I hate to single any of them out. That was some kind of a year. Everyone all together as one unit.  

Jesse Davis (won the Junior National college Championship at Lees McRae as starting QB) , Robert Viney (Hampton), Stephan Holloway (Va Tech), Quentin Reed (ETSU). I hate to single any of them out. That was some kind of a year. Everyone all together as one unit.

Thanks Motorhead. I wish there were some video of those guys. I watched some Tazewell football during that time since I have family fro THS, but again I was too young to remember.

Suge Graves-Graham

I played with him. He just had a different gear. Ran for 2,100 yards in 13 games in 1998. Ran for 19,000 in 9 games in 1999.

Sorry Gunz. I played against him, but didn't include because he wasn't a state champ.

From the 92 team, Brad Davis, Chris Crawford, and Sam Barnett from the line. I can't remember if Pete Richardson was in that group as well.

He was there.  One of the names that you will not see mentioned is Yancy Tabor, offensive tackle.  He was a starter on the '92 state team, he was about 6'2 and maybe 200 lbs.  He was one of the best pure line technicians that ever played at Richlands.  Adam Yost was the other tackle and was pretty good himself.  Sam Barnett was called "the best high school center" that he ever saw play, by Willis White.

Like too many that have played football in SWVA....what could have been.

Very true, just had to take a stab at your typo with 19k yds in one season. Good friends with Sugar at one time, haven't seen or heard from him in awhile!

He was there. One of the names that you will not see mentioned is Yancy Tabor, offensive tackle. He was a starter on the '92 state team, he was about 6'2 and maybe 200 lbs. He was one of the best pure line technicians that ever played at Richlands. Adam Yost was the other tackle and was pretty good himself. Sam Barnett was called "the best high school center" that he ever saw play, by Willis White.

Thanks old school blue. I knew I was forgetting some. I was only 12 after all. This is exactly why I started this thread, so thanks to all for reminding me of all the great, but sometimes forgotten talent in this area.