Serious question

swva_havok_fan

I posed this question on Twitter on Saturday and didn't get much of a response, so... 

Why doesn't Virginia play all six title games at one location like Tennessee and Kentucky?  The reason I ask this is because, no disrespect intended to Blue Tornado nation, but both games in Salem Saturday will in all likelihood be decided before halftime, which makes the decision for me to go a struggle.  Especially with the forecast giving a high of 32 for Saturday at last check.

I would love the opportunity to see 3A-6A title games one day... 3A and 4A was going to be my option this year before the VHSL became all liberal and moved the games from Lynchburg.  5A and 6A are no longer in Charlottesville either.  I would be very willing to travel, even if it meant to the tidewater region, if all six games were in one location over two days like Tennessee and Kentucky.

What does everyone else think of this?

It'd be great to have a 3 on Friday, 3 on Saturday set up in Lynchburg, Charlottesville or maybe JMU.

I inquired about this last year with one of the VHSL officials and he said that the 1A and 2A schools were against leaving Salem, so the vote could never pass.

It'd be great to have a 3 on Friday, 3 on Saturday set up in Lynchburg, Charlottesville or maybe JMU.

I inquired about this last year with one of the VHSL officials and he said that the 1A and 2A schools were against leaving Salem, so the vote could never pass.

I'm surprised at that considering teams like Essex were a staple there in recent years... but I guess the majority of 1A and 2A teams are a reasonable drive to Salem...

So 3a and 4a agreed to move theirs across the state to W&M?

No, that was he VHSL taking it out of Lynchburg the same way the ACC took the title game out of Charlotte.

So only 1a and 2a are voted on? And by who? The schools or VHSL? The decision for W&M seems a bit mind boggling to me.

So only 1a and 2a are voted on? And by who? The schools or VHSL? The decision for W&M seems a bit mind boggling to me.

The schools in the classes pick where. But for 3 and 4, the VHSL pulled that title game for a non-football political reason. They didn't care what the schools say. They made their decision and pulled it.

The schools in the classes pick where. But for 3 and 4, the VHSL pulled that title game for a non-football political reason. They didn't care what the schools say. They made their decision and pulled it.

Thats the equivalent of moving it to Bristol for the east teams.

I posed this question on Twitter on Saturday and didn't get much of a response, so... 

Why doesn't Virginia play all six title games at one location like Tennessee and Kentucky?  The reason I ask this is because, no disrespect intended to Blue Tornado nation, but both games in Salem Saturday will in all likelihood be decided before halftime, which makes the decision for me to go a struggle.  Especially with the forecast giving a high of 32 for Saturday at last check.

I would love the opportunity to see 3A-6A title games one day... 3A and 4A was going to be my option this year before the VHSL became all liberal and moved the games from Lynchburg.  5A and 6A are no longer in Charlottesville either.  I would be very willing to travel, even if it meant to the tidewater region, if all six games were in one location over two days like Tennessee and Kentucky.

What does everyone else think of this?

Fully agree on the one site. A couple of coaches and myself were discussing this over the weekend about starting on a Friday and finishing on Saturday with Sunday being a extra day for a bad weather make up day. I know me personally that I would like to watch Dinwiddie, Richlands and Staunton River because of a Hurley connection to each of those schools.

North Carolina's set-up is similar to Virginia with games played at UNC, Wake Forest and NC State.  

For anyone interested, I love North Carolina's baseball set-up.  The 4 divisions bounce between Five County's Stadium, home of the Carolina MudCats and Burlington Athletic Stadium.  The Final Four in each division all go to the host site and play 3-game series for the semi and final. 

No, that was he VHSL taking it out of Lynchburg the same way the ACC took the title game out of Charlotte.

Not quite the same thing.  Liberty allows guns on campus and schools all over the state objected so VHSL moved them.

My personal favorite is Texas.  All games over three days.  It has been in either Reliant in Houston, or Jerry World the last three years.

Not quite the same thing.  Liberty allows guns on campus and schools all over the state objected so VHSL moved them.

My personal favorite is Texas.  All games over three days.  It has been in either Reliant in Houston, or Jerry World the last three years.

It's still a political thing. Basically the same thing. 

You might be able to get 1A and 2A to go along IF they agreed to a rotational schedule.  Probably not but maybe with Salem being involved.  More likely if you could get VT and UVA involved but 6 games in 2 days on grass surfaces would be terrible if the weather turned.

North Carolina's system is rotational by division.  This season, 1A & 1AA are at UNC, 2A, 3A & 3AA are at Wake Forest and 2AA, 4A & 4AA are at NC State.

It has always been explained to me, North Carolina's set-up is to give those three programs recruiting access on campus.  Not sure of the legitimacy of that notion, just what has always been passed along as fact..

I liked it the way it used to be,east one year and west the next, with the teams involved hosting those games.It seems to me that the central va schools have it easier than the east and far west schools.When Powell Valley played at JMU for state we traveled 5 plus hours and the other school like 1 1/2 hours.YES we have went across the bay to play in a cow pasture too, but now with the Great venues available in all of va (UVA WISE,RICHLANDS,HONAKER,WISE CENTRAL,AND OTHE SITES with carpet I for one would love to see southwest va host.BULLET PARK has had numerous state games there and I long for the past.It seems to me that SALEM and other central sites gains revenue from our teams success, while our towns suffer from lack of dollars generated from these games.If both teams are from one region,(RICHLANDS,APPOMATTOX)why not play at the home field of either, both have great stadiums(appo needs more seats)just saying.There are no savings to the VHSL because two crews work the games,travel expences,and stadium cost, we try to save a doller and spend $10.00, the gates are smaller and the cost is higher

I was watching some of the TN and KY games and had the same thought.  I guess the problem is finding a central location that also has an artificial surface and since Liberty is out that leaves...

JMU

edit:  University of Richmond has a nice stadium with turf as well.  (been watching both JMU and UR in the FCS playoffs)  Richmond is not centrally located, but is an option.

I watched every TN championship last week on TV and enjoyed every bit of it. The VHSL could do the same if they wanted. Play them all at JMU and televise them. Instead, I already have my seat scheduled for nfhsnetwork.com to watch them this week. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I watched every TN championship last week on TV and enjoyed every bit of it. The VHSL could do the same if they wanted. Play them all at JMU and televise them. Instead, I already have my seat scheduled for nfhsnetwork.com to watch them this week.

Can you watch them on demand or only live?  Is it free?

Also, didn't think about it till now, but what is VMI's stadium like?