Serious question

swva_havok_fan

I posed this question on Twitter on Saturday and didn't get much of a response, so...

Why doesn't Virginia play all six title games at one location like Tennessee and Kentucky? The reason I ask this is because, no disrespect intended to Blue Tornado nation, but both games in Salem Saturday will in all likelihood be decided before halftime, which makes the decision for me to go a struggle. Especially with the forecast giving a high of 32 for Saturday at last check.

I would love the opportunity to see 3A-6A title games one day... 3A and 4A was going to be my option this year before the VHSL became all liberal and moved the games from Lynchburg. 5A and 6A are no longer in Charlottesville either. I would be very willing to travel, even if it meant to the tidewater region, if all six games were in one location over two days like Tennessee and Kentucky.

What does everyone else think of this?

I asked Ken Tilley a couple years ago about having all games at one site. He said the only way he would be for it is if someone would build a dome stadium somewhere in Virginia and let the vhsl use it. I am hoping the new director will try and get these games at one site.

Part of the problem could be the uncertainty of JMU's football schedule. If they make a playoff run then that could conflict with the state games. Trying to fit 6 championship games, plus a NCAA playoff game all in a couple days would be a big problem. Also hotel availability would be a nightmare as well.

I watched every TN championship last week on TV and enjoyed every bit of it. The VHSL could do the same if they wanted. Play them all at JMU and televise them. Instead, I already have my seat scheduled for nfhsnetwork.com to watch them this week.

I watched both the WV AA and AAA games on the Pittsburgh sports station...too bad VA can't do it, too...

As far as stadium size I think VMI would be better than JMU. One of the cool things about Salem is its plenty big enough but isint too big

Not sure about the players locker rooms but I'll be dang if the officials locker area isnt really dang tight for 7 officials.  Not as tight as Haysi's coaches office but close!

As trublue stated above, all GHSA championships are played over two days in the GA Dome (moving to Mercedes Benz Stadium next door next year).  Friday's games are: A-Private (10:00), 3A (1:00), 5A (4:30) and 6A (8:00).  Saturday's games are: A-Public (10:00), 2A (1:00), 4A (4:30) and 7A (8:00).  All games are on live TV on the GA Public Broadcasting channel.  No one has to buy in to a website to watch.

One of the more significant reasons for some uncertainty is the cost of using these facilities. I can confirm with 100% accuracy that it is getting more difficult with each passing year to secure a facility at a reasonable cost. The VHSL is scrambling to find suitable locations that are affordable. Football is not a money maker, and every dime that they can save is being considered when hosting these games. 

In my opinion, the likelihood of all games being played at one location is a slim to zero prospect. The additional travel expense that would be afforded the farthest traveling schools would be a huge deterrent to such prospect. The rationale taken by the league is proximity, the majority of smaller schools in the state have a reasonable distance to travel to Salem. The larger schools in the state, tend to be Eastward and therefore the proximity of travel for them will be minimized by hosting closer to them. 

If a central location is chosen for the entire state, travel expenses paid out by the VHSL will increase. 

You are probably thinking, What about Basketball? Those games are played in one central location!

Basketball makes money, football doesn't, it is much more expensive to pay travel expense fees for a football team of 50 players than a basketball squad of 12. By moving to one central location, the VHSL would see an increase in football related expenses, and remember, football at this point is not profitable. So, why make a decision that will result in losing even more money?

Not saying that I like or support the current setup, but this is the reality, these are the discussions driving the decisions currently.

One of the more significant reasons for some uncertainty is the cost of using these facilities. I can confirm with 100% accuracy that it is getting more difficult with each passing year to secure a facility at a reasonable cost. The VHSL is scrambling to find suitable locations that are affordable. Football is not a money maker, and every dime that they can save is being considered when hosting these games. 

In my opinion, the likelihood of all games being played at one location is a slim to zero prospect. The additional travel expense that would be afforded the farthest traveling schools would be a huge deterrent to such prospect. The rationale taken by the league is proximity, the majority of smaller schools in the state have a reasonable distance to travel to Salem. The larger schools in the state, tend to be Eastward and therefore the proximity of travel for them will be minimized by hosting closer to them. 

If a central location is chosen for the entire state, travel expenses paid out by the VHSL will increase. 

You are probably thinking, What about Basketball? Those games are played in one central location!

Basketball makes money, football doesn't, it is much more expensive to pay travel expense fees for a football team of 50 players than a basketball squad of 12. By moving to one central location, the VHSL would see an increase in football related expenses, and remember, football at this point is not profitable. So, why make a decision that will result in losing even more money?

Not saying that I like or support the current setup, but this is the reality, these are the discussions driving the decisions currently.

Does the VHSL pay to "house" the team on overnight trips? If so then your argument is valid. Otherwise a bus of 12 or 50 traveling to the state tournament location is the same. 

For some reason I feel like schools front all expenses except travel to and from state tournament locations. 

Does the VHSL pay to "house" the team on overnight trips? If so then your argument is valid. Otherwise a bus of 12 or 50 traveling to the state tournament location is the same. 

For some reason I feel like schools front all expenses except travel to and from state tournament locations. 

Per Diem for 50 kids would be substantially more expensive than for 12.  See page 29 of the VHSL Financial Policies and Procedures Manual.

Per Diem for 50 kids would be substantially more expensive than for 12.  See page 29 of the VHSL Financial Policies and Procedures Manual.

I read that and the VHSL handbook on reimbursement. There is grey area dealing with food. it is stated they get a per diem but does not state how much. If that is the case and I am the coach we are all getting Filet's! haha

Maybe the solution is to have the games on different days?   1A-3A at Salem or VMI on Friday, 4A-6A wherever is more central for them on Saturday.

That would at least make all the games accessible for fans. Friday games would suck but Sunday seems to be off limits

I read that and the VHSL handbook on reimbursement. There is grey area dealing with food. it is stated they get a per diem but does not state how much. If that is the case and I am the coach we are all getting Filet's! haha

The amount is predetermined by each district and VHSL representatives.

The amount is predetermined by each district and VHSL representatives.

Thanks for the info. 

Regardless, other states have figured out how to have state tournaments at the same locations. We all are in the same economical situation, and one would argue we have it a little bit better here in Virginia compared to surrounding states. Geographically, we are a little awkward in that for most (NOT ALL) of SWVA we can get to the state capitals of Ky, WV, NC, TN, OH, and SC before we can get to our own state capital. I do not think there is a winning formula dealing with state tournaments though. Any location will be contested as being "too far" for some schools. Example is having basketball at VCU... A few times it has been an all SWVA finals being played in Richmond. 

Thanks for the info. 

Regardless, other states have figured out how to have state tournaments at the same locations. We all are in the same economical situation, and one would argue we have it a little bit better here in Virginia compared to surrounding states. Geographically, we are a little awkward in that for most (NOT ALL) of SWVA we can get to the state capitals of Ky, WV, NC, TN, OH, and SC before we can get to our own state capital. I do not think there is a winning formula dealing with state tournaments though. Any location will be contested as being "too far" for some schools. Example is having basketball at VCU... A few times it has been an all SWVA finals being played in Richmond. 

I completely agree.  Other states have figured it out, Virginia should be able to as well.

The state of Nebraska has all 6 of their state championship football games on the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving in Lincoln, one of the most eastern spots in the state...

Virginia is bad, but it could always be worse.

The most sensible central site, if we're looking at playing all 6 games at the same site, is Scott Stadium in Charlottesville. The only teams significantly disadvantaged are the 1A and 2A teams from far southwest Virginia.

God knows the field isn't seeing any meaningful use in December.

Maybe the solution is to have the games on different days? 1A-3A at Salem or VMI on Friday, 4A-6A wherever is more central for them on Saturday.

That would at least make all the games accessible for fans. Friday games would suck but Sunday seems to be off limits

I would like this as well. 1a-3a at Salem and 4a-6a somewhere else.

We played a lacrosse game there about 5 years ago and just got murdered by Maryland. We later beat them for the national title. I blame the field.

That sumbish is cursed!!!  LOL