Verdict for Richlands

BlackWolf5

I feel awful for the other kids that did everything right and the actions of one kid cost his team big time.

I wouldn't even let him on sidelines...he may not be allowed anyway.

Such a selfish act by one kid kills his team in the biggest game of their high school career....sad

For reference, we are still referring to a kid who has to raise his hand to use the restroom... He is a high school student. Maybe you weren't every a high school kid, who knows, but most high school kids tend to make dumb mistakes. A lot goes into the "dumb mistakes" but upbringing and social circles play a large part into this. I do not know the kid personally, matter of fact would have a tough time picking him out of a crowd unless he was wearing a richlands #11 jersey, but you are burning this kid at the stake for a bonehead decision. He was caught up in the heat of the moment and got caught. I am sure he is aware how much he cost his team but Richlands is not only reliant on #11. They are loaded offensively. #11 is nice to be able to throw jumpballs to but they will miss him most at safety. 

Maybe cool your jets on saying this kid should stay at home, etc., because frankly, as stated in a previous post/thread, Richlands referred to their teammates as brothers. Last time I checked, some family members make dumb decision and you still love them dont you? 

My take on it... let the kid come to the game and stand on the side lines in dress clothes. Give him some type of "meaningful" job on the sideline to keep him engaged and feel like he is taking part in the game. What you do not want is him on the sideline pounding or bringing anyone down. Best of luck to the blues this week!

For reference, we are still referring to a kid who has to raise his hand to use the restroom... He is a high school student. Maybe you weren't every a high school kid, who knows, but most high school kids tend to make dumb mistakes. A lot goes into the "dumb mistakes" but upbringing and social circles play a large part into this. I do not know the kid personally, matter of fact would have a tough time picking him out of a crowd unless he was wearing a richlands #11 jersey, but you are burning this kid at the stake for a bonehead decision. He was caught up in the heat of the moment and got caught. I am sure he is aware how much he cost his team but Richlands is not only reliant on #11. They are loaded offensively. #11 is nice to be able to throw jumpballs to but they will miss him most at safety. 

Maybe cool your jets on saying this kid should stay at home, etc., because frankly, as stated in a previous post/thread, Richlands referred to their teammates as brothers. Last time I checked, some family members make dumb decision and you still love them dont you? 

My take on it... let the kid come to the game and stand on the side lines in dress clothes. Give him some type of "meaningful" job on the sideline to keep him engaged and feel like he is taking part in the game. What you do not want is him on the sideline pounding or bringing anyone down. Best of luck to the blues this week!

I understand the thought process behind what you are saying, I think, but largely disagree with the proposed course of action.  Understanding kids make mistakes is one thing, condoning and even rewarding them for it is an entirely different matter.  I am not trying to get into the whole "generational gap" issue but maybe that's why millennials are by-in-large, out of touch with many social standards.  Kids are not held to any standard much less the same standard we were held to.  I am not suggesting policy and procedure never change from one generation to another but lack of action is still an action.  By not holding him accountable, an action is taken to condone or dismiss the behavior. 

Yes, teenagers are prone to emotional outbursts but If this kid plays other sports, he will be far less likely of repeating this behavior given he was held accountable for this decision.  And make no mistake, it was a decision for him to act the way he did.  Life is about the choices we make and every choice carries with it, consequence.  Learning these lessons as a teenager may keep this young man from making a mistake as an adult that follows him for a lifetime.

I wasn't at the game but have seen several video clips of this kid pointing and taunting opponents, not only in this game but others as well.  Obviously, he hasn't been held accountable for the behavior prior to now.  If he had, maybe his choice would have been different in that moment.  Maybe a choice by the other "family members" to not allow him on the sideline will reinforce the notion that choices carry consequence. 

If you do the crime, you gotta do the time! I hate it for the kid and teammates but you had two chances not to do it and after the first chance someone should have been in his face telling him about it, and I am sure Richlands players and coaches were (this is not typical Richlands behavior) but you had two shots at behaving or not and the player chose the latter course of behavior, it happened to our football playing son once and it never happened again.

I understand the thought process behind what you are saying, I think, but largely disagree with the proposed course of action.  Understanding kids make mistakes is one thing, condoning and even rewarding them for it is an entirely different matter.  I am not trying to get into the whole "generational gap" issue but maybe that's why millennials are by-in-large, out of touch with many social standards.  Kids are not held to any standard much less the same standard we were held to.  I am not suggesting policy and procedure never change from one generation to another but lack of action is still an action.  By not holding him accountable, an action is taken to condone or dismiss the behavior. 

Yes, teenagers are prone to emotional outbursts but If this kid plays other sports, he will be far less likely of repeating this behavior given he was held accountable for this decision.  And make no mistake, it was a decision for him to act the way he did.  Life is about the choices we make and every choice carries with it, consequence.  Learning these lessons as a teenager may keep this young man from making a mistake as an adult that follows him for a lifetime.

I wasn't at the game but have seen several video clips of this kid pointing and taunting opponents, not only in this game but others as well.  Obviously, he hasn't been held accountable for the behavior prior to now.  If he had, maybe his choice would have been different in that moment.  Maybe a choice by the other "family members" to not allow him on the sideline will reinforce the notion that choices carry consequence. 

This post!

Sixcat, you must not have watched any of the Big Blues games year, because Cody has not done it any pointing until Saturday's game. I have been to every game and watched the Blues, and these boys are held to higher standards then a lot of other teams hold their kids too. You need to focus on facts and not what other people tell you.

Sixcat, you must not have watched any of the Big Blues games year, because Cody has not done it any pointing until Saturday's game. I have been to every game and watched the Blues, and these boys are held to higher standards then a lot of other teams hold their kids too. You need to focus on facts and not what other people tell you.

There's a nice photo of a Bluefield player pointing at Howie as he struts into the end zone last year that there wasn't a flag. But I've never seen Howie do something like that before. Maybe some jawing after a big hit, but never that. 

I've now seen the video. It's such a soft call. After the kid gets up he and Howie bump into each other and the ref ACROSS THE FIELD throws the flag. Not either of the two refs standing DIRECTLY BESIDE THE PLAY. If a soft chest bump constitutes an unsportsmanlike, then it's time to quit calling this football and call it two hand touch. I've seen much more happen and not get called than this. 

The principal denied the appeal because he said he was standing beside the play when it happens. There is a picture that shows the moment the flag was thrown and there is no principal down there. Just a bunch of Richlands fans on the fence. 

That said, what's done is done. 

Howie will not play. He made his bed, he will lay in it. But DO NOT get on here and put down a 17 year old kid for getting caught up in the heat of the moment and doing something I know for a fact he deeply regrets. I know that every single member of this board did something stupid in their lives at one time or another. That doesn't mean the kid should sit at home. 

He is a brother to this team. He helped this team get to where they are, period. He will be on the sideline with his jersey on, supporting his brothers in their mission to bring a title back to SWVA. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. But he will be there with his team because this is a team. 

Its all depends on the situation imo, I don't know the kid and I don't know his history. If he has a history of causing trouble and both of his penalties last week were him instigating the behavior I think you have to come down hard on him, for his participation in other sports and his well being in life. Learn to control yourself young man. If what he did last week was in response to provocation or just a overactive ref I think you cut him some slack and maybe find a place for him on the sideline.

Sports teaches life lessons, its all much bigger than a state title game.

Its all depends on the situation imo, I don't know the kid and I don't know his history. If he has a history of causing trouble and both of his penalties last week were him instigating the behavior I think you have to come down hard on him, for his participation in other sports and his well being in life. Learn to control yourself young man. If what he did last week was in response to provocation or just a overactive ref I think you cut him some slack and maybe find a place for him on the sideline.

Sports teaches life lessons, its all much bigger than a state title game.

Yeah, sports teaches lessons. That's 100 percent correct. But the kid is MISSING A STATE FINAL IN HIS SENIOR YEAR. Is that not punishment enough?? Why does everyone want the kid to stay home and not be at the game?!? He worked his ass off for years to get to this point. Let the kid stand on the damn sideline with his brothers. Jesus Christ. 

I didn't say I don't think he shouldn't be at the game. I don't know the situation and im not trying to speculate. If the coaches have been after him to correct this and the behavior has continued maybe he doesn't need to be on the sideline. I that's not the case and he is a team leader then by all means let him on the sidelines where he can help coach the players and be a motivator. It all depends on the situation.

^standing there and watching has got to be hard. Hes gonna pay dearly for his actions, especially if what he did wasn't violent(fighting).

He chest bumped a guy. A little chest bump. I saw that happen 38 times during that game but THAT one was so much more egregious than the others...

I didn't say I don't think he shouldn't be at the game. I don't know the situation and im not trying to speculate. If the coaches have been after him to correct this and the behavior has continued maybe he doesn't need to be on the sideline. I that's not the case and he is a team leader then by all means let him on the sidelines where he can help coach the players and be a motivator. It all depends on the situation.

He's probably had 2 personal foul flags thrown on him in 2 years. It's not like this is a repeat thing. It's a 17 year old caught up in the heat of a big moment in a state semifinal. 

Wtf, so let me get this right, a player can kneel during the National Anthem and that's ok????a kid responds to another's kids words, action, taunts and he gets tossed !!!!We all know that the VHSL has screwed up,I.E. Norton vs Riverheads,Lee High vs Union, so it's alright to cost a team a game by making the wrong call but when a ref makes a call that clearly was one sided the Whole fu@@@@@@ game, a outside source should make the unbiased decision . I am a Union fan and I believe that Richlands is being screwed over and I know Appomattox wants to play the best team that Richlands can field. The VHSL has always made calls that go against southwest va,from the central playoff sites( what a f-non joke) to the way monies are devided( eastern va gets more than SW va)

Not sure how allowing the kid to stand on the sideline is rewarding the kid... if anything it is more punishment in itself. 

Can you link the other pictures/videos of him pointing at other opponents? I have seen the ones from SD but none other. 

I have zero ties to the team but am curious as another unbiased perspective why you feel so strongly against allowing the kid to attend the game and stand with his team. The kid did not brawl on the field but made two dumb decisions. If the kid gets into a fight I can see and advocate him not attending the game for what it is worth. 

Is this the SAME principle that took lunch trays away from hungry kids??? Enough said !!!The VHSL has always stated that education comes first , well what kind of whole life lesson is being taught here???I know what it is telling me ,it's telling me that the VHSL doesn't care for a kid, and that there is no second chances, after all he was t fighting and that goes on EVERY GAME on the coast and Richmond area

Is this the SAME principle that took lunch trays away from hungry kids??? Enough said !!!The VHSL has always stated that education comes first , well what kind of whole life lesson is being taught here???I know what it is telling me ,it's telling me that the VHSL doesn't care for a kid, and that there is no second chances, after all he was t fighting and that goes on EVERY GAME on the coast and Richmond area

You misread the previous post chief. SD princiPAL denied the appeal... not Richlands. furthermore research more into the "lunch: incident... that i not what happened per news outlets.  

I hate it for the kid period.....From the pictures I saw yea he taunted but for the SD principle to not give in is his right..Sour grapes being the reason? definitely in my opinion...I'm sure Mance will put 11 horses on the field and charge onward. I'll be pulling for the Blues.

PS...If I'm the SD principle I'd have to dig deep and give the kid a pass...Have to be a very flagrant penalty such as a punch or fight for me to want him off the field but that's me.