Verdict for Richlands

BlackWolf5

I've now seen the video. It's such a soft call. After the kid gets up he and Howie bump into each other and the ref ACROSS THE FIELD throws the flag. Not either of the two refs standing DIRECTLY BESIDE THE PLAY. If a soft chest bump constitutes an unsportsmanlike, then it's time to quit calling this football and call it two hand touch. I've seen much more happen and not get called than this.

The principal denied the appeal because he said he was standing beside the play when it happens. There is a picture that shows the moment the flag was thrown and there is no principal down there. Just a bunch of Richlands fans on the fence.

That said, what's done is done.

Howie will not play. He made his bed, he will lay in it. But DO NOT get on here and put down a 17 year old kid for getting caught up in the heat of the moment and doing something I know for a fact he deeply regrets. I know that every single member of this board did something stupid in their lives at one time or another. That doesn't mean the kid should sit at home.

He is a brother to this team. He helped this team get to where they are, period. He will be on the sideline with his jersey on, supporting his brothers in their mission to bring a title back to SWVA. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. But he will be there with his team because this is a team.

Can you provide a link or the time period on hudl? I haven't seen in person, but want to watch if available. I just don't have time to watch the entire game at work.

Can you provide a link or the time period on hudl? I haven't seen in person, but want to watch if available. I just don't have time to watch the entire game at work.

I don't have a link or anything. I'm sure it'll come out soon enough.

If it was just chest bumping and jawing that's not bad but im sure he was warned to stop it by the refs after the 1st one.

Haysi had a linemen get ejected from a game in 2014 against Covington, the kid sat out against Galax(potentially his last HS game) and im pretty sure he wasn't allowed on the sideline(not 100% sure though). He committed the offense and put himself above the team.

Its a tough call and really does change from situation to situation.

PS...If I'm the SD principle I'd have to dig deep and give the kid a pass...Have to be a very flagrant penalty such as a punch or fight for me to want him off the field but that's me.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that the SD principal followed the advice of the athletic director.

I've read these post twice now, no one has put the kid down. IMO he shouldn't have stay home, just not travel with team nor be on the sideline. You guys get so caught up in your feelings so easy... Step back and take a look at what's being said.... Damn what butt hurt society we live in these days!

Ive never seen him point at defenders b4...the one at bluefield as he went in the enzone he was pointing at sum of our fan on the fence..i know this because i was one of them on the fence...unless you seen something on anther play that i didnt.

Ive never seen him point at defenders b4...the one at bluefield as he went in the enzone he was pointing at sum of our fan on the fence..i know this because i was one of them on the fence...unless you seen something on anther play that i didnt.

I was speaking of the Bluefield player that pointed at Howie as he scored lol. 

For reference, we are still referring to a kid who has to raise his hand to use the restroom... He is a high school student. Maybe you weren't every a high school kid, who knows, but most high school kids tend to make dumb mistakes. A lot goes into the "dumb mistakes" but upbringing and social circles play a large part into this. I do not know the kid personally, matter of fact would have a tough time picking him out of a crowd unless he was wearing a richlands #11 jersey, but you are burning this kid at the stake for a bonehead decision. He was caught up in the heat of the moment and got caught. I am sure he is aware how much he cost his team but Richlands is not only reliant on #11. They are loaded offensively. #11 is nice to be able to throw jumpballs to but they will miss him most at safety.

Maybe cool your jets on saying this kid should stay at home, etc., because frankly, as stated in a previous post/thread, Richlands referred to their teammates as brothers. Last time I checked, some family members make dumb decision and you still love them dont you?

My take on it... let the kid come to the game and stand on the side lines in dress clothes. Give him some type of "meaningful" job on the sideline to keep him engaged and feel like he is taking part in the game. What you do not want is him on the sideline pounding or bringing anyone down. Best of luck to the blues this week!

He is still part of a team and a team he let down with his selfish act....just my opinion of course

I will still be there rooting for Richlands

And I NEVER said he should stay home....just shouldn't be allowed on sidelines

He is still part of a team and a team he let down with his selfish act....just my opinion of course

I will still be there rooting for Richlands

And I NEVER said he should stay home....just shouldn't be allowed on sidelines

What does it hurt for him to stand on the sideline? Don't say it's punishment. Missing the biggest game of your life that just so happens to be the last game of your high school career is a major punishment. What does forcing him to sit in the stands accomplish?

What does it hurt for him to stand on the sideline? Don't say it's punishment. Missing the biggest game of your life that just so happens to be the last game of your high school career is a major punishment. What does forcing him to sit in the stands accomplish?

JMHO but I think he let his team down and shouldn't be allowed on sidelines...punishment is part of it but the biggest thing is sitting in stands thinking "I screwed up and let all those guys out there down"...and you hope he learns from a mistake

Knowing you have one already then doing it again punished his team didn't it? And he wasn't thinking about his last game when he got the second one it don't sound like

But I'm not the coach and don't know the VHSL rules on this so we will see saturday

It isnt a VHSL rule that actually stipulates what the penalty is for players/coaches who are ejected, but NFHS rules.  I may be mistaken, but I believe an ejected player/coach is not supposed to be on the sidelines  for games they are suspended for.  I do know they should have removed him from the field/stadium after the ejection Saturday.  

It isnt a VHSL rule that actually stipulates what the penalty is for players/coaches who are ejected, but NFHS rules. I may be mistaken, but I believe an ejected player/coach is not supposed to be on the sidelines for games they are suspended for. I do know they should have removed him from the field/stadium after the ejection Saturday.

Thanks for the official explanation (pun intended). That clears up some questions about the rule. Is there an official definition of what constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct? Just curious.

I hate what happened, but Coach Mance said it best when saying we have to move on.

It isnt a VHSL rule that actually stipulates what the penalty is for players/coaches who are ejected, but NFHS rules. I may be mistaken, but I believe an ejected player/coach is not supposed to be on the sidelines for games they are suspended for. I do know they should have removed him from the field/stadium after the ejection Saturday.

That's not what I've heard/seen. Not for high school, anyway. I've never seen an ejected player leave the sideline.

That's not what I've heard/seen. Not for high school, anyway. I've never seen an ejected player leave the sideline.

Then the officials havent handled it correctly.  Most times when I have been working a game and an ejection has happened the coach already has the players sent off before we have to ask unless they are questioning the ruling.