Verdict for Richlands

BlackWolf5

It isnt a VHSL rule that actually stipulates what the penalty is for players/coaches who are ejected, but NFHS rules.  I may be mistaken, but I believe an ejected player/coach is not supposed to be on the sidelines  for games they are suspended for.  I do know they should have removed him from the field/stadium after the ejection Saturday.  

It is an "ejection" or more so a "disqualification" from the game. An ejection comes in play with fighting, etc., This was a second unsportsmanlike penalty which makes him disqualified from continuing. 

Handling a coaches ejection and player ejecton are two entirely different events. Yes a coach can be removed from the premises but a player cannot.  

It isnt a VHSL rule that actually stipulates what the penalty is for players/coaches who are ejected, but NFHS rules.  I may be mistaken, but I believe an ejected player/coach is not supposed to be on the sidelines  for games they are suspended for.  I do know they should have removed him from the field/stadium after the ejection Saturday.  

I double checked my rule book on this and it only states an ejected coach has to be removed from the stadium, not a player.  My apologies for the misinformation.

I double checked my rule book on this and it only states an ejected coach has to be removed from the stadium, not a player.  My apologies for the misinformation.

Every ref makes a mistake here and there. ;)

My guess is and that's just it a total guess but I would think it's more probable he wouldn't be allowed on the sidelines for this week's games than being removed from the sidelines during last weeks game.  I would think that the VHSL wouldn't have a rule that required coaches to send a minor without supervision out of the stadium. If a parent wasn't there with a kid those kids are the responsibility of the coaching staff and it would cause the potential for liability.

I have a friend who officiates in Kentucky and he threw a coach out of the game and the coach was on his front porch waiting for him when he got home, words were exchanged, officers were called and ejected coach became arrested coach, who became a suspended coach. and now the irony of it all is the coach is the choir leader at the official's church and the official is the pastor!

I know first hand that when coaches are ejected that they are not to be in the gymnasium/field and must leave the playing area. Likewise, they are not permitted to be in the gymnasium or on the field during the games included in the suspension. In regards to players, based on my experience with hoops, players have been allowed on the field/gym in casual dress, following an ejection.

My knowledge of this is experience based, but that still doesn't mean that the acting officials, handled everything according to proper protocol. 

If I were guessing, he will be allowed to be on the sidelines, in dress clothes.

Got two interjections

I am a coach and I sent a clear message at the beginning of the season. No one is to acknowledge another teams players or coaching staff. If this happen, it's immediate dismissal. It has worked well so far.

If a player is at an any game, they are under the direct supervisor of the school's officials (coach) and can not leave their supervision until after the game or are released to a guardian. Therefore as a coach you must decide where is an appropriate place to supervise this individual. Wrong or right? I do not know but, this my rationale to form a educated assumption.

I wish Richlands a safe trip and hope this individual is forgiven for his mistake.

I'm not one to pull this "card" but I've wondered if race had a factor in Cody's penalization

Stuarts Draft is a very white, moderately affluent area and I have a sneaking suspicion that his ejection could have been a racist action

I have a friend who officiates in Kentucky and he threw a coach out of the game and the coach was on his front porch waiting for him when he got home, words were exchanged, officers were called and ejected coach became arrested coach, who became a suspended coach. and now the irony of it all is the coach is the choir leader at the official's church and the official is the pastor!

That is the most Kentucky thing I have ever read

I had an angry soccer coach follow me home after a game in 2010.  He lost his coaching job, was fired from his "day job" and his wife filed for divorce a few months later.

Losing control of your emotions can have a devastating effect on your personal life.

That's not what I've heard/seen. Not for high school, anyway. I've never seen an ejected player leave the sideline.

I have seen it in Tazewell County at both Middle and High School level.  Players ejected sent to the locker rooms.  In one case, the AP stayed with the player.