Quick Question

swvasportscommenter

I guess when I think of "recruiting", I think of it like Dobyns-Bennett does here when they will have a few kids who otherwise would be going to South/Central/Volunteer/North. I used to work with a lady who had a son at Volunteer that was a nice football player and good at track. She said D-B coaches approached him on more than one occasion when he was a freshman and sophomore. 

In response to NaderFan: Being a Spartan I will admit that the Biedelman brothers were brought to Giles in 2014 in hopes of winning a championship. I worked with their dad at Volvo. Yes they are good athletes but are not program changing athletes. But look at the Giles state team in 2013 or 2005 and see how many transfers helped us win state. I cannot think of any. Graham nor Richlands can argue with each other this season about transfers because they both had athletes, especially Graham that changed the program. Graham has other talent besides Cousin, but lets face it, he gave them the spark they needed. And Richlands offense centered around Howie, just look at the stats. All schools have transfers somewhere down the line, so we cant bash Richlands, Graham, Giles, Appo, or anyone else.

Agreed and thats what i try to bring up to people. Its just funny the guys that were bringing up transfers had them too.

I have been a poster on this board since 2007 and have, for the most part, enjoyed the posts.  Seeing today what is being posted by members on this thread, that are so inflammatory and over the top, I am very disheartened by it.  I know personally, when Graham took the shellacking at Gate City two years ago, myself and other Richlands posters said you would come back and become a good team, just a matter of time.  Well they have and I for one rooted proudly for them.  I rooted for Marion when they played the Falcons and were the underdog a couple of years ago.  I have been a staunch supporter of the Dawgs in football.  Several I have known--one I lost in 2010 to cancer.   TJ was like a grandson to me.   That was so hard.    I was there on that cold snowy day at Tazewell,  in the playoffs.  I was cheering for my Blues, but when "my buddy" (that is what I called him), kicked or got the ball, I was rooting for him.  I was there in 1986 when Tazewell played for the state championship,  rooting for the Dawgs.  In 2006 when my Blues were playing for the championship, I was there.  In the fourth qtr, I got up from my seat, away from the crowd,  went and stood by myself to pray.  God wasn't a Blue Tornado, but he heard the prayers that were being lifted on their behalf. 

I see with my  heart Tazewell County as a whole--not the different schools or communities.  I want all to do well.  I do not want envy or jealousy toward anyone.  Some of you that have posted harsh words today, I will be honest,  anger has risen, but I will not let it make me bitter.  Bitterness does more harm to the one it controls,  then the one it is directed towards.

I will close with this scripture which I think is the summation of it all.

Proverbs 24:17---"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles."

I have been a poster on this board since 2007 and have, for the most part, enjoyed the posts.  Seeing today what is being posted by members on this thread, that are so inflammatory and over the top, I am very disheartened by it.  I know personally, when Graham took the shellacking at Gate City two years ago, myself and other Richlands posters said you would come back and become a good team, just a matter of time.  Well they have and I for one rooted proudly for them.  I rooted for Marion when they played the Falcons and were the underdog a couple of years ago.  I have been a staunch supporter of the Dawgs in football.  Several I have known--one I lost in 2010 to cancer.   TJ was like a grandson to me.   That was so hard.    I was there on that cold snowy day at Tazewell,  in the playoffs.  I was cheering for my Blues, but when "my buddy" (that is what I called him), kicked or got the ball, I was rooting for him.  I was there in 1986 when Tazewell played for the state championship,  rooting for the Dawgs.  In 2006 when my Blues were playing for the championship, I was there.  In the fourth qtr, I got up from my seat, away from the crowd,  went and stood by myself to pray.  God wasn't a Blue Tornado, but he heard the prayers that was being lifted on their behalf. 

I see with my  heart Tazewell County as a whole--not the different schools or communities.  I want all to do well.  I do not want envy or jealousy toward anyone.  Some of you that have posted harsh words today, I will be honest,  anger has risen, but I will not let it make me bitter.  Bitterness does more harm to the one it controls,  then the one it is directed towards.

I will close with this scripture which I think is the summation of it all.

Proverbs 24:17---"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles."

That's what I was trying to say...lol.

Thank you tbgfan. Well said

I think the Richlands Roster should list Name, Height, Weight, Class year, Jersey Number and Hometown.

(Relax folks, just kidding)...

My take is, if they are moving WITH a parent into the attendance zone.  You can't blame anybody but their parents for their disloyalty to your team.

Some FACTS about Appomattox's FB run in 2016 year... Undefeated in regular season.

Appo's Playoff Record  for 2016:

VA High 63-12  WIN
Giles  45-21WIN
Union  43-0  WIN
Goochland  45-13 WIN  (SEMI FINAL ) (Only loss for Goochland)
Richlands 42-7  WIN  (STATE Championship)

APPO   Pts. SCORED in the PLAYOFFS  -  238 POINTS TOTAL
APPO   Pts. ALLOWED in the PLAYOFFS - 53 POINTS TOTAL

Considering that came directly from his father, I'd say I do have a clue. He said "All I want is for my boys to get a championship ring and that's not going to happen at Ft. Chiswell."

But we didn't bring him in is what I'm saying...he came in his own...and ft chiswell has just came off a state semi appearance of I remember right

And who wouldve ran the ball for the Gmen if it wasnt for the Cousin and Reed transfers?

Harris who transferred to Tazewell.... and did quite well, I might add.  Taymon Cooke averaged nearly 30 yards a carry, he may have been capable, I would think.... He had a sprained ankle in the last game of the season, hated that for him.  He didn't whine about it, played hurt and did the best he could.

Graham lost as many to transfer as they got....

I imagine everyone already knew about the navy guys kid from flordia coming, but i cant wait to see how wild yall get when the other 2 transfers get out lol.

They will fit in nicely at Emory and Henry when they graduate. 

Can't wait to see what the offseason brings.  Rumors are rampant and I'd say that in reality, nobody knows much about anything.

Some FACTS about Appomattox's FB run in 2016 year... Undefeated in regular season.

Appo's Playoff Record for 2016:

VA High 63-12 WIN

Giles 45-14 WIN

Union 43-0 WIN

Goochland 45-13 WIN (SEMI FINAL ) (Only loss for Goochland)

Richlands 42-7 WIN (STATE Championship)

APPO Pts. SCORED in the PLAYOFFS - 238 POINTS TOTAL

APPO Pts. ALLOWED in the PLAYOFFS - 46 POINTS TOTAL

Giles had 21 :p not that it makes a difference

Giles had 21 :p not that it makes a difference

Well, I did pull the scores from MaxPreps  ;)   ...so, someone entered it there. I checked on score stream after seeing your post and they have 21.  (I changed above)

My point of the post...Appo was a machine!!!  

Now back to this question...

I would love to see just how good Coach Mance and his staff really are if they only used "Richlands kids".  I think they would still have a hard-nosed team but I think they would finish 6-4/7-3 tops on an annual basis...and no further than the second round of the current system playoffs.

What's everyone's opinion???

My opinion is that my senior year, we were competitive with Richlands kids. We finished 9-4 in the state quarterfinals. Lost to a damn good Giles team, who went on and won the state championship. 

I will admit Appomattox was one of the best high school teams that I have seen in person. I will also concede that some years we have failed to perform in big games. However, I will gladly take the good, with the bad. There have been several seasons in which I believe we overachieved due to coaching. Those seasons include both with and without transfers. We have been very blessed at RHS.

Also,transfers are not going away.  In large metro areas...you can travel 10/15 miles and you're in another high school attendance zone.  Talented kids talk to other kids on social media and it happens.  It's a different world now in HS athletics....it's driven by social media...twitter is the contact and kids are recruiting other kids.  In a condensed  populated area...there's much more housing and is so easy to move a short distance...it's just the way it is. 

The world of high school football is changing. 

Mance and his staff have put together a program that kids like being a part of. Things are not what they used to be. Kids from Tazewell talk to kids from Graham on a daily basis via social media. So do the rest of them. Just using that as an example. Therefore when one program is doing better than the other little Johnny wants to go. Little Johnny ' s parents today are willing to move him.

Now the part I have a hard time buying is the reasoning or "excuse" that many give. The excuse given more often than not is "if I go to Richlands I stand a better chance of going D1". Unfortunately many of those kids have went on to play D3 football. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with playing at Emory and Henry but the reality is that kids talent level was D3 at Tazewell or Graham or wherever. I have this conversation with coworkers and friends from Richlands every year. Some see it some do not.

Merry Christmas!!

Also,transfers are not going away.  In large metro areas...you can travel 10/15 miles and you're in another high school attendance zone.  Talented kids talk to other kids on social media and it happens.  It's a different world now in HS athletics....it's driven by social media...twitter is the contact and kids are recruiting other kids.  In a condensed  populated area...there's much more housing and is so easy to move a short distance...it's just the way it is. 

The world of high school football is changing.

Sorry I basically said the same thing. Takes forever to bang out a message on cell phone. You beat me to the punch. Lol