Quick Question

swvasportscommenter

Bookers family is from Richlands. Hyder's mom went to school at Richlands with my dad. Both of those boys already had ties here. Just like the kid from Florida who's dad is from Richlands and is retiring from the navy and moving beck home.

Let's all continue to beat a dead horse!!!

I think its more about demographics.  They probably just haven't had the coaching in the past. If Gretna or Martinsville could get the right coaching going they would be much tougher.  Appomattox is  right between Hampton and Libertys colleges some solid football minds I'm sure to draw off of.  That coach will get some looks.  .

Right between Hampton and Liberty???  That's like saying Richlands is right between VT and UT...

Nope. But his mom is.

Well, then, why didn't they live there before they decided to take his football talent to Richlands.  I mean, if that's the case, why didn't he go there when he was in elementary school?  Middle School??  His first year or two of high school???

What changed???  I mean, since his family was from Richlands, why didn't they move there sooner???

My question is could Richlands actually compete without the best players from other schools?

Now back to this question...

I would love to see just how good Coach Mance and his staff really are if they only used "Richlands kids".  I think they would still have a hard-nosed team but I think they would finish 6-4/7-3 tops on an annual basis...and no further than the second round of the current system playoffs.

What's everyone's opinion???

Well aren't we all in the Christmas spirit around here... 

Well, Richlands was on Saturday...how many "freebies" did they give Appo???  True, my team didn't make it past the third round, but at least they didn't crap their pants doing it...

I would love to see just how good Coach Mance and his staff really are if they only used "Richlands kids".  I think they would still have a hard-nosed team but I think they would finish 6-4/7-3 tops on an annual basis...and no further than the second round of the current system playoffs.

I agree 110%

I would love to see just how good Coach Mance and his staff really are if they only used "Richlands kids". I think they would still have a hard-nosed team but I think they would finish 6-4/7-3 tops on an annual basis...and no further than the second round of the current system playoffs.

Interesting question.

"Hard-nosed" is not an adjective that I've associated with Richlands for a while. Overwhelming, maybe. Finesse, definitely. But not "hard-nosed". I think Richlands has the homegrown talent to play that way, but I don't think it's a point of emphasis. Richlands tends to out-talent its opponents, which works well until you get into late November and December. That's the reason that Richlands gets "upset" so darned often, and the reason Richlands gets freight-trained by teams like Appo and Botetourt.

And again, that's different from how Mance built the programs in the early 2000s.

If we could eliminate all "transfers", I think there would be a lot more parity in SWVA. That is probably most easily observed in a team like Richlands, but others' ships have been lifted as well. I think you'd see a different style of play from Mance. I think Richlands wouldn't go 9-1/10-0 every year. I'd say that 8-2 would be average. But I think Richlands would do every bit as well in the playoffs, and maybe even better, when they build that mettle.

I'm afraid I will have to pass!  The last opinion I shared on a Richlands topic, Cody Howie, an overly sensitive Richlands follower called my employer to complain.

Sensitive lot, those Richlands followers!

Good times!

I'm afraid I will have to pass!  The last opinion I shared on a Richlands topic, Cody Howie, an overly sensitive Richlands follower called my employer to complain.

Good times!

WOW!  That there is a real prick move. 

Rat the bastage out...or tell me, and I'll take care of his sorry ass. 

Good times!

Talking about butt hurt. Calling an employer to complain about a message board post.....C'mon Man.  

I can see it now, coming home from work early and explaining to your wife you got fired for making a post on SWVA sports forum.  LOL...I guess we're gonna have to watch what we say about Richlands from now on.  WOW!!

WOW!  That there is a real prick move. 

Rat the bastage out...or tell me, and I'll take care of his sorry ass. 

I think I would prefer to have a little fun with them, myself.  Several co-workers and I have already had some fun at this person's expense.  Our company Christmas party was this weekend and it was a topic of conversation.  If the intended purpose was to somehow reprimand me, it failed miserably. 

I will keep the option open though, thanks.

Interesting question.

"Hard-nosed" is not an adjective that I've associated with Richlands for a while. Overwhelming, maybe. Finesse, definitely. But not "hard-nosed". I think Richlands has the homegrown talent to play that way, but I don't think it's a point of emphasis. Richlands tends to out-talent its opponents, which works well until you get into late November and December. That's the reason that Richlands gets "upset" so darned often, and the reason Richlands gets freight-trained by teams like Appo and Botetourt.

And again, that's different from how Mance built the programs in the early 2000s.

If we could eliminate all "transfers", I think there would be a lot more parity in SWVA. That is probably most easily observed in a team like Richlands, but others' ships have been lifted as well. I think you'd see a different style of play from Mance. I think Richlands wouldn't go 9-1/10-0 every year. I'd say that 8-2 would be average. But I think Richlands would do every bit as well in the playoffs, and maybe even better, when they build that mettle.

I think this sums it up as accurately as I can. I will interject as a Richlands fan as well by saying that Coach Mance and his staff have done an admirable job of creating consistent success especially comparable to the dark ages before Mance and Vaught. With that said, I believe some areas have benefitted in the past or currently with factors beyond our control

such as demographic and economic ones. Frankly, at times the decks are often stacked in the beginning in the imperfect world we live. While I don't like seeing the alarming trend, I would never deny a kid the chance to better himself (if the parents rightfully or sometimes wrongfully make the decision). This is one of the factors that I can't control that reshuffles that deck. Is it any less wrong as a corporation doing it intentionally, or unintentionally? Many areas around have benefitted from coal mines and mine supported industry thus at times bringing greater athletes. Some areas have benefitted from factories such as Eastman (helps Gate City) or Celanese (Giles). We can easily get into much deeper conversation and what-ifs with this question.