The greatest moment in Haysi football history

swva_havok_fan

At least we took at least two more from you... (1993, 2005).

Neither one of those teams were winning anything. Region D would have been the upper limit for either of those two. Really the only two teams from PV who were really capable of winning state that didn't were 1983 and 2004 IMO. A case might could be made for 1996, but I didn't think they were very close. A case could be made for the 1986 team that was upset by Garden, too.

Neither one of those teams were winning anything. Region D would have been the upper limit for either of those two. Really the only two teams from PV who were really capable of winning state that didn't were 1983 and 2004 IMO. A case might could be made for 1996, but I didn't think they were very close. A case could be made for the 1986 team that was upset by Garden, too.

01 PV team was good too.

Isint that the game that Phil tried to get moved because the mud might ruin those pretty blue uniforms?

Ahh the greatness that was Sandlick Field(formerly a corn field down by the river).

2005.  Lol.

Jimbo tried every damn year Norton had to come to Haysi to play.  Just hearing the name Jimbo makes me want to breaking stuff.

Did Haysi have a defining moment in Football?

I would say this play linked above would be it.  Only other things I can think of are the 2 point conversion against Galax in 2014, the FG by Allen Owens as time expired against PV in 2005, or the game winning TD pass against Clintwood in the final seconds in 2013.  (I missed that 2013 Clintwood game because I injured my knee at work that same week, so I have still never seen this play, but would love to)

The play above is the defining moment imo.

If there is a play that is exemplifies Haysi Football it was the 2 point play against Galax in 2014. As soon as we scored I knew we were going for two. I sat there, closed my eyes and said to myself "if we don't get it this is the way Haysi should go out, everything on the line, throwing the ball trying to win the game". Glad we converted.

Haysi holds a 43% win percentage against PV, not many teams are that good or better (Richlands, GC,...)

Havok - it was out of shotgun 2x2, the right Split End ran a slant or post and the right slot ran a fade to get the first down(4th and 10), the Offense hurried up to the line of scrimmage, flipped the formation, ran the play to the left for the TD.

Being a tiny little school in a tiny town that could occasionally at least, beat the Powell Valleys of the world. You can say what you want about not winning a state title but there were times when nobody in single A wanted to come to Haysi to play. Not getting into the trash talk, but I'm proud to have been a part of it. Just as proud as those of you with rings. Every program has defining moments. You don't need state championships for that.

Well said big ugly vol. I can agree on all of the above moments. For me personally though, it has to be my jr year in 1987 vs Clintwood at Sandlick. We won and it was the first time Haysi beat Clintwood in the programs history. Families with ties to both teams didn't talk to each other for months. Clintwood beat us in the playoffs that year though.

I've got Haysi's first win over Clintwood on 10-18-1985, 26-7 at Haysi. Went 10-2 that year and lost to Powell Valley 27-14 in the playoffs at Big Stone Gap. Got their first playoff win in school history that year as well beating Pennington 12-9 at Pennington Gap.

That's right, it was my freshman year. My goodness, the lies I've been telling people. Clintwood beat us in the playoffs my jr year but I'm not even sure now:-) I just know I get to say "My team beat Clintwood for the first time."

Na. You just have the same issue that Roger Clemens had. You misremembered. It is an actual word and I run into it a lot doing high school football research. It is when someone genuinely thinks something is true when it turns out not to be the way that they remember. Before I started doing detailed research I always told people that the first Bluefield game that I went to was in 1971 when Bluefield played Stonewall Jackson and they returned a punt to win 7-0. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that that was true. Turns out that everything I remembered was true except that the team Bluefield played was not Stonewall Jackson it was Woodrow Wilson of Beckley. The fact that football season is in the prior year to graduation also clouds memories.  1984 season seniors graduated in 1985 etc. 

• 3 weeks later...