Stepping Down as the Voice of Abingdon Falcon sports

FalconVoice

I'm not posting this here for any kind of emotional goodbye or anything-- I can honestly say I discovered this site far too late in my time as the PBP voice of Falcons sports (unfortunately) to get to know many of you very well. I appreciated the discussion and the camaraderie (and even the disagreement) on here. As for my time broadcasting on WABN, I want to thank all of you who may have tuned in, even for just a moment. As Vin Scully recently said in his retiring remarks, I always felt like I needed you more than you needed me, and I think that was certainly the way it was in my case.

I still plan on being a member on the site and checking in from time-to-time, but at least part of the reason that I decided to step down was because I have taken a new job that will force me to relocate elsewhere in The Commonwealth. That in addition to going through a grueling breakup with the woman that I intend(ed) to marry has sapped me of most of my energy and enthusiasm for broadcasting at the moment, and I don't want to cheat the listeners by not being 100% on air, because it's not fair to them.

Also, thank you to WABN, Rusty Cury, Cody Jennings, Pam Holmes, Mike Cox and to my broadcasting partner and color commentator in Ginger Largen. Without her expertise and familiarity with this current generation of Falcons sports, I would have been totally lost (as an Abingdon-to-Norfolk-to-Alexandria-back-to-Abingdon-to-Blacksburg-back-to-Abingdon again transplant after college and during graduate school). Also thank you to all of our sponsors, because without you, we wouldn't have been on the air.

For myself, I have to say that being able to return to the high school where I graduated to become the voice for the teams I once played on, on a very personal level, was special for me. And I certainly hope that sentiment came across on our broadcasts. And of course, with the recent successes of Falcon sports coinciding with my time in the booth, I have to say I enjoyed this stop in my broadcasting career (if you could call it that) more than any other. It was an exciting adventure and I will cherish it always. But now I have to embark on a new adventure, and I don't know if broadcasting will be part of that adventure, at least initially. But I encourage anyone who wants to keep in touch (through Twitter or other social media, or if you would like my number or e-mail, please feel free to message me on here), and I will try to do the same and update you on my path--especially if it includes broadcasting. Thank you all again and keep up your passion in enjoying the fruits of what Southwest Virginia sports continue to produce.

Sorry to hear about your breakup in your personal life,  sometimes we don't understand why things happen the way they do,  but they can lead us down a different road that we can't see now,  but may be better for us in the long run.

Good luck with your new job and move !   

Sorry to hear about your breakup in your personal life,  sometimes we don't understand why things happen the way they do,  but they can lead us down a different road that we can't see now,  but may be better for us in the long run.

Good luck with your new job and move !

Thanks man. I appreciate it. Trying to make the best of the situation. Don't want to give up on it, but for now at least, this is a chance for a new start.