Maryville's George Quarles steps down

GC_Quincy

I think he has seen the writing on the wall, Middle Tennessee is becoming a beast for the East Tennessee teams to deal with. I think in the next few years all the football power will be within a one hundred mile circle of Nashvillie. He can't accomplish more in high school than he already has so good luck to him. It won't be long until he is a head coach somewhere in college, probably Furman.

Rumors in the Knoxville area are of the TSSAA snooping around the program. I heard it Knoxville sports talk radio this morning. Also heard that they have had numerous inquiries about the head coaching position. Bryson Rosser an assistant at the school and Derek Rang of Dresden, a Maryville Alum are the names getting the most traction. Quarles had a 250-16 record and halfway through his second season was 10-7. he coached 17 seasons at the school the Rebels have won 16 straight regional titles, made 15 state title games and won 11 state titles in his 17 years at the program.

I have two nephew's living there one in Franklin the other Murfreesboro and the talent on Friday nights in those two area's is insane! They also put Maryville in a Region 2 which has the Chattanooga area schools they are gonna be doing a lot of traveling. My son's friend who coaches at Maryville College and helps out some at Alcoa texted my son and said Christmas came early for Alcoa.

Maryville has named 27 year-old Derek Hunt as it's new head coach. He had previously served as the QB coach and was the youngest member of a staff he has been one since he was twenty. Maryville said they wanted to look internally for a coach, which they did: There are five other ex-head coaches on Maryville's staff. No outside help was needed I guess!