Arbys Classic Scores and Updates:

RiverRat24

Honestly.........I would GUESS that Sandy Creek is just a step below Wings talent wise. Not very much below. They are athletic and will take the ball to the basket. Not very aggressive on defense. (The Blanche Ely team from Florida that played after GC tonight plays some seriously aggressive man to man defense.)  They did not shoot the ball well tonight. Not sure if they had an off night, or if that was their normal. 

If GC had shot the 3 tonight like we have all year, we win tonight by 8-10 points. If we shoot well tomorrow, we can very easily beat the team from Georgia. If we come out flat and do not shoot the deep ball well, we lose by 15.

The more I "process" the game tonight either Wings was not as good (or had an off night) as I thought they would be, or we are a little better than I thought. Sure hope we are better. :)

Well, I hope the boys don't get down on themselves after getting the air let out of their balloon tonight in a close one. If they win all their games in the losers bracket they finish what....6th place?

I think GC is really good this year....The only thing missing is a dominant post player. If we had anyone that was strictly a paint player along with all the shooters plus Macs ability to dribble drive

..This team would be absolutely scary. But GC doesn't a legit pure post man so they have to do things differently. But when their shots are falling like usual...I still like GCs chances in every game.

Wings didn't look as impressive as I thought they would in the videos I watched. But it's very hard to judge by a video. I also didn't think Perez looked 6'4 or 6'5 in the videos I seen either....However from what I hear he was every bit as tall as Ervin. I'm hoping GC is just that good and it's not that Wings isn't nearly as impressive as we thought. Lol

Yep............playing for 6th place now. 

I agree. We need a 7', transfer student from Croatia. We still need to get our bench some experience, but other than that, a true big man is all that is lacking. Hopefully when we get to a weaker part of our schedule, the bench will see more minutes. Don't guess we have even played a Virginia school yet. 

They won't get down on themselves. They didn't play their best game and lost by 4 to a very good team. Sandy Creek didn't play defense very well at all. I actually think we can give them fits, but their length does worry me.

I agree. The bench needs to see some substantial minutes. There's a few guys thats on the bench that would start for any team in SWVA and they need to get their feet wet. There's 4-5 bench players that could be huge contributors for this team....They just need a little experience.

I wasn't there but I heard that GC handled Wings full court press very well. That's definitely good news that they handled their full court pressure like that. If the shots that GC normally make fall....GC wins that game. Hate it for the boys, but they can still make a good showing and come out with a 6th place finish which isn't too bad.

To everyone keeping us posted on the scores and results, it is very nice, thank you.

The Gate City vs Wings was absolutely a 50/50 ball game as predicted. Not sure who would win if they played again. However, I submit, Sandy Creek causes some very interesting problems for GC that Wings did not. Agreed Gate City needs a big man.

here is my thoughts:

Wings best player was a generous 6 foot 6 inches, senior, SF that has played for Wings for at least a couple years. A winning and prestigious academy team located in one of the most recruited areas in the country and he is going to a prep school next year to help get a scholarship that he wants. His center was a 6 foot 4 inch 300 pounder with no D1 offers. Not that bad of a problem for Gate City. Wings likes to trap and cause pressure on the ball. Gate City seems to handle that just fine. As stated above.

Sandy Creeks Big men are likely better. Bickerstaff is a 6 foot 7 inch Sophomore SF that plays for his high school team and currently holds 7 D1 offers including Memphis. Not sure about his club team? Bickerstaff has a 6 foot 8 inch C/SF that is a Sr. with 3 D1 offers to partner up with down low. This match up is interesting for a couple reasons. One Sandys strength is GC weakness AND the make-up of this team is very similar (but likely superior) to R.E. Lee, a likely foe for Gate City Down the road. Although Sandy Creek seems to have better guard play. Lee's George is a 6 foot 7 inch SF senior Committed to Marshall. Lee has other bigs on their team to support him as well.

Good luck

And to answer your question, I am off work for Christmas, and you are right, I need to get a life.

GC lead 16-5 with less than 4 mins to play in the the first against Sandy Creek. The Patriots roared back to close the gap and it's 20-16 GC leads at the end of the first.

GC up 29-23 with 5 mins left in the 2nd qtr after Ervin knocks down a couple free throws.

GC up 45-37 at the half

Sandy Creek rallies to tie the game at 54 at the end of the 3rd

Sandy Creek takes the lead 58-56 going into the 4th.

Sandy Creek wins 96-91 in OT against GC in another close one for the Devils.

Honestly.........I would GUESS that Sandy Creek is just a step below Wings talent wise. Not very much below. They are athletic and will take the ball to the basket. Not very aggressive on defense. (The Blanche Ely team from Florida that played after GC tonight plays some seriously aggressive man to man defense.)  They did not shoot the ball well tonight. Not sure if they had an off night, or if that was their normal. 

I believe part of Blanche Elys roster was suspended for last nights game due a brawl in their last game according to a tweet I saw.  That is why they only had 7 players last night.