Changes at GC

Great City

He was losing to urban Meyer then.. and LSU Saban

He and Saban rarely met when Nick was at LSU, they aren't cross divisional rivals. I'm not sure they played more than once when Saban was in BR.

2007 is perfect example, a loaded UGA team doesn't even win the East. They should have won a national title, yet he lost to a bad Carolina team and got reamed by a mediocre at best UT team. If he wins just one of those, they win East and play for a shot to play for a title.

He and Saban rarely met when Nick was at LSU, they aren't cross divisional rivals. I'm not sure they played more than once when Saban was in BR.

2007 is perfect example, a loaded UGA team doesn't even win the East. They should have won a national title, yet he lost to a bad Carolina team and got reamed by a mediocre at best UT team. If he wins just one of those, they win East and play for a shot to play for a title.

I know Saban beat Richt twice in 2003 when LSU won the national championship. I'm not sure how many times they played each other during that 5 years total.

I know Saban beat Richt twice in 2003 when LSU won the national championship. I'm not sure how many times they played each other during that 5 years total.

It's rotational, jfnthey played in 03 they likely didnt play again until after Saban left.

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard a couple months back that Hackney was trying to get back with GC. I think his intentions were to be helping out with basketball but I'm guessing he will take whatever position he can whether it's in football or basketball. At this point for him, I think he just wants out of Lee and back at GC. I was down on the court talking to Hackney after the first game between Lee and GC was over...a few of the coaches pulled him aside and he had a pretty long discussion with them and he told me it was about a job position. Wish nothing but the best for Jamie....We go way back and was good friends for years. He'd be one hell of a coach...He knows the game and how it's supposed to be played. Also think he would do his part in recruiting the hallways and getting kids onto the field or court.

There is more than enough coaching talent around the program to fill these vacancies. I believe Coach Akers can do very well at GC, but he has a mess to clean up from Houseright. I hope the administration is patient with him.

I don't know how it sounds home cooked. From an outsider looking in it looks like there might also be some changes in the works for the basketball staff if they are bringing in a basketball guy. Any changes coming that you know of?

Trying to find out Radford's football schedule for next year also with the change in classification. Should be a tough road for the Bobcats in football.

Why would they change the basketball staff! They should be the favorite to win the title next year unless something drastic happens. This is the football forum. And there is a schedule thread out there too!

Gate City's defense was shredded more than KFC's coleslaw. If he can cut down the yardage gained by a hundred a game and points per game by ten, Gate City may have half a chance to win a few more games.

Tim Burke defensive coordinator at Patrick Henry hired Tuesday night at Gate City.

Patrick Henry's coaching staff is getting picked apart.  Burke going to GC and Chris Duble at Northwood as new Head Coach.

I think if we GC fans are honest, we have just not had the talent on the team the last few years. Hope that does not ruffle feathers of anyone who has had a kid play recently.

As someone who played on the team in the late 80s, who did not have a kid competing for playing time the last few years, and who has watched GC football for many years....the talent has just not been there.

We used to consistently have a good sized line, and have a couple of kids on defense who could hit. The last few years we have not.

I am also not a huge fan of running that press coverage the entire game. It can be useful, but not all game. Plus, we have just not had the athletes to play that coverage.

A new coaching staff will hopefully energize the kids in the hall and get more of them to come out and play. The key to us getting back to our "normal" is getting more kids on the team early.

I'm not sure about this, but I would GUESS that the coaching staff we had a couple of years ago was fairly close to the same staff we had in 2010 when we were state champions. I would also guess that we are the last AA team from FAR SW to win a state championship. Actually, we were state champs in 2003 & 2010. I'm not sure how many other FAR SW teams have won two state championships the last 13 years. I would assume that number could be counted on one hand. It is easy to blame the coaching staff, but our problems have been deeper than that.

Like a lot of schools, we are dealing with kids specializing in one sport and not playing a bunch of different sports. When I was in school, sports had a season. The sport ended and you did something else. Now kids play the same sport year round.

Take McClung as an example. I believe he played football his freshman year.......and l believe led the district/conference (it changes so much is hard to keep it straight) in TD catches or yardage. Can't remember which. He also displayed great quickness and above average speed. He just needed to learn to follow blocks, and I believe he would have been a heck of a football player. He decided to focus on basketball (which made sense for him) and the team has not had that talent since. 1-2 players can make a huge difference in A or AA football. Take Jake Houseright off the GC team, and that team is much weaker. Take the Jones brothers off of the PV teams for 8 years and they would not have been nearly as good. (Not saying Mac would have compared to Jake or the Jones brothers. Just using it as an example.)

The Barnes kid who played basketball at GC was a heck of tennis player. He started tennis his freshman year, and decided to quit and focus on basketball. Not sure that was the best decision for him...........but it was not up to me. He decided to play tennis his senior year and ended up in the state finals match.

We are losing a lot of good athletes because they want to focus on one sport. Sometimes it makes sense, but most of the time (to me) it does not.

With the load of crap that these kids have had to deal with for the last five years or so and all the support that has been lost in the community, it is just going to take time to rebuild. The situation seemed  to be toxic and a complete house cleaning is needed and it's finally happening now. A few other sports need help too, but that is a different topic. I agree about the talent level, it's just not there (and little help is coming anytime soon) so .500 football seems to be home for a few years, unless they can recruit the halls and hedges and find some players. If not, the long journey is going to have to start in Little League and work it's way up.