Upcoming Season 1A

warrior4uva

I know it's a bit early but maybe spring time temps are teasing me. What does everyone think about the upcoming baseball season?    Favorites, Transfers, Top returning players, Pitch limits.......ect.

I am interested to see the team Galax fields this spring.  The basketball teams, girls and boys, have had an abnormally high number of players quit who have been multi-sport athletes for years.  That can easily be seen in comparing last years basketball rosters to the rosters this season.  The varsity boys roster consists of 9 players while JV features a roster of 10 and that is after adding players who had previously been cut.  Pretty sad for a program that won back-to-back state titles just a few years ago.

The girls program has been decimated after firing the varsity coach following last season.  He spent 11 years as an assistant at Oak Hill Academy and was a GA at VT before that.  It's hard to fathom Galax could hope for much better for a girls program.  He is now the head boys varsity coach at Ridge View in Columbia, SC.  They won the Farm Bureau Insurance Classic in Spartanburg over the Christmas holiday.  The Galax girls basketball teams currently have 9 varsity and 7 JV players.  Doesn't bode well for the future.  An injury or two away from not even being able to field a team.

Rumor is, the player revolt will continue come baseball season.  The baseball coaching staffs for varsity, JV and middle school are in turmoil as well following the debacle at Honaker last spring.  It's still not entirely clear who is still on the coaching staffs.

I think Chilhowie will be improved and maybe challenge for the Conference 46 title. Pitching will be a question mark especially with the new pitching rules. Chilhowie has some talented underclassman that got some experience last season and should contribute. Looking forward to start of season.......What's the other Conference 46 teams got coming back?

• 2 weeks later...

Graham will have a new coach for baseball this year.  Not sure that it will change things very much but none the less we'll have a new one.

Who is coaching this year???

Anyone know anything about Blacksburg baseball? I'm covering it this year for ESPN Blacksburg and wanted to know how they look.

They were pretty decent watching varsity last year. My son played Jv at christiansburg and they split 2. Varsity at cburg won both but they were close and cburg won the conference. Pretty good pitching with good depth. Hitting was a little above average. Not sure what they're gonna look like this year my son switched to lacrosse.

They were pretty decent watching varsity last year. My son played Jv at christiansburg and they split 2. Varsity at cburg won both but they were close and cburg won the conference. Pretty good pitching with good depth. Hitting was a little above average. Not sure what they're gonna look like this year my son switched to lacrosse.

I'm helping cover baseball/softball and boys/girls soccer for Blacksburg. I already know they are powerhouse at soccer. Just wondered about the baseball and softball teams.

Abingdon should be very solid this year.  They return 16 of the 19 they had last season.  Pitching staff will have improved depth and there is some really strong bats returning for this season.  Can't wait to get this season started.  Falcons look to have very promising year and make a run for the 3A title.

Well we've had our first week of tryouts/practice with the exception of those still basketballing so how is everybody looking? We had great weather for field practice and I was surprised as to how well some performed. Anybody have new additions, transfers or surprises that will contribute this year? Looking forward to the season and hoping we have as good of weather in March/April as we have in February.