Twin Valley @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

Girls JV: Twin Valley 18, Richlands 13

Boys JV: Richlands 42, Twin Valley 19

Girls Varsity: Richlands 53, Twin Valley 32. 

Olivia Harmon scored her 1,000th career point with a FT with 42 seconds left in the game. She's the third Richlands product to score their 1,000th career point this season. Scottie Ball did it against Grayson Co. Cody Fuller did it for Bluefield a few weeks ago as well. 

Girls JV: Twin Valley 18, Richlands 13

Boys JV: Richlands 42, Twin Valley 19

Girls Varsity: Richlands 53, Twin Valley 32.

Olivia Harmon scored her 1,000th career point with a FT with 42 seconds left in the game. She's the third Richlands product to score their 1,000th career point this season. Luke Phillips did it against Grayson Co. Cody Fuller did it for Bluefield a few weeks ago as well.

Scottie Ball?

Scorers for Blues

Ball---13

Cantrell---5

Herndon---8

C. Horn---6

T. Horn---18

Moir---7

Phillips---20

Ratliff---3

Smith---3

Blues with 10--3's (Ball 1, Cantrell 1, Herndon 2, C. Horn 2,  Moir 1, Phillips 1, Ratliff 1, Smith 1)

F/O for Blues---None

Twin Valley Scorers

Cooper---3

McClanahan---12

Mullins---4

Payne---7

Wagner---23

Twin Valley with 4---3's (Cooper 1, McClanahan 1, Wagner 2)

F/O for Twin Valley---Mullins, Payne

A lot of skill and fundamental coaches don't like the dunk.  I think the three point shot is more dangerous to a team than the dunk. A lot of times we see and hear the phrase, "depends on which team shows up.".  If a team is hitting the three they can easily throw in 90 points a game but if they are off they struggle to score 60. The pass, dribble, box out and post up has taken a back seat to the dunk and the three.  Sad thing is teams are playing basketball the way people like to see basketball played which is by the three and the dunk instead of the boring basic fundamentals.

A lot of skill and fundamental coaches don't like the dunk.  I think the three point shot is more dangerous to a team than the dunk. A lot of times we see and hear the phrase, "depends on which team shows up.".  If a team is hitting the three they can easily throw in 90 points a game but if they are off they struggle to score 60. The pass, dribble, box out and post up has taken a back seat to the dunk and the three.  Sad thing is teams are playing basketball the way people like to see basketball played which is by the three and the dunk instead of the boring basic fundamentals.

You've never dunked before, have you?

Fundamental basketball is scarce these days and it's a shame. However, if a player has the ability to dunk the ball it's a huge advantage.... Especially if he can go straight up under the basket with power and throw down 2 handed. That's fundamental basketball. Shorter distance for the ball to travel than a layup....Higher percentage shot and much less chance a defender blocks the shot. Usually draws a foul in the process as well.

Where fundamentals are thrown out the window is when players dribble way too much instead of looking to make great passes and they choose to do a 360 or between-the-legs slam when they could go with a simple dunk that's higher percentage. But..... I still enjoy watching it either way.

I am still not sold on this Richlands team yet, and not because they don't have great skill and athletes they for sure have the skill and the athletes. It is because of the direction the team is led.  Just because you put up great numbers against Pilgrims Knob I'm not buying in yet.  That being said, do this against a team that can play defense such as Graham and I will buy in.  I personally don't think the kids have the leadership to finish in the big games to come for them.  We shall see.

As a Richlands supporter, it is hard to really know how good this team really is because we truly haven't played anyone so far.  This coming Thursdays game against Graham will definitely help to gauge where this Richlands team truly stands at this point in the season.

As far as leadership to finish the big games.  I believe if the "BALL" is put in the right players hands in crunch time, this team is very capable to win the close ones.  Ball is a very unselfish player and a great passer and will look for the open man, no matter who that open man is!!!