Far SWVA players going next level..

GoBearsGo

I know national signing day is coming up quick. I'm sure there are some local kids that will move on to the next level. Any of you guys know where any of your "hometown" players may or will be headed? I'm interested to see where Fannon and Duncan from Union, Sturgill from Abingdon, and a couple of the Richlands guys might land.

What a shame. Graduated early and missed out on a lot of what senior year is about. Cannot help but wonder who was in his ear giving him advice. 

He likely graduated with a high school degree and an associates degree, with the way high school works these days. 

He likely graduated with a high school degree and an associates degree, with the way high school works these days. 

Oh I am well aware. But he is missing out on walking with his friends that he has went to high school with for 13 years. A lot of the "fun" stuff happens 2nd semester of senior year. 

Oh I am well aware. But he is missing out on walking with his friends that he has went to high school with for 13 years. A lot of the "fun" stuff happens 2nd semester of senior year. 

I'm sure he can return to walk. Narrows is a solid 25 minute drive away lol. But I agree. I wouldn't enroll early to be a practice squad guy.

SWCC?

All jokes aside, I hope the kid can land at a solid school. He puts on some weight he will be a dangerous asset for a local D2 team and even Emory. 

What are his targets so far?

No one really knows. I had heard Richmond and JMU at one point, but I haven't heard anything at all this fall. 

Cole Blaker (Narrows) is a walk-on for Virginia Tech. Graduated early and enrolled at VT in Jan. 

What shot does he have at actually playing? 

None. Much like Harman (Honaker) who is a walk-on there, he's (likely) a practice squad guy. 

What a shame. Graduated early and missed out on a lot of what senior year is about. Cannot help but wonder who was in his ear giving him advice. 

I'm sure he can return to walk. Narrows is a solid 25 minute drive away lol. But I agree. I wouldn't enroll early to be a practice squad guy.

That is what I am getting at. 

My former boss was an early enrollee at VT in the mid 90's knowing full well he would likely never see the field.  He was ridiculed by kids and adults alike in his hometown, mainly for his choice to not play basketball as a high school senior.  He used the additional semester to prepare himself for the rigors of the math associated with an engineering curriculum.  Statics, Thermal Dynamics, Strength of Materials and Accelerated Calculus among others are no joke!!!!!!!  Nor can many high schools prepare you for what those classes entail.  This is the main reason freshman engineering students are called "Pre-Business" majors.

He was on the team for five full seasons, rarely seeing the field and graduated with honors a few months following a national championship appearance.  His stature as a former player has opened doors for him as a professional engineer that otherwise would have been closed.  His career has been greatly enhanced based on the choices he made as a 17 year old kid.  

Cut this kid some slack and lets see where his dreams take him!

My former boss was an early enrollee at VT in the mid 90's knowing full well he would likely never see the field.  He was ridiculed by kids and adults alike in his hometown, mainly for his choice to not play basketball as a high school senior.  He used the additional semester to prepare himself for the rigors of the math associated with an engineering curriculum.  Statics, Thermal Dynamics, Strength of Materials and Accelerated Calculus among others are no joke!!!!!!!  Nor can many high schools prepare you for what those classes entail.  This is the main reason freshman engineering students are called "Pre-Business" majors.

He was on the team for five full seasons, rarely seeing the field and graduated with honors a few months following a national championship appearance.  His stature as a former player has opened doors for him as a professional engineer that otherwise would have been closed.  His career has been greatly enhanced based on the choices he made as a 17 year old kid.  

Cut this kid some slack and lets see where his dreams take him!

Apples and Oranges man. Your one example is a dime a dozen. 

Who knows what the kids plan is... maybe he just wants to get a regular ole business degree. Bottom line, he is getting an education and might be able to have some fun in college doing it. 

It just seems like his decision to forgo his 2nd semester senior year is for sports. If it is an academic decision good for him! 

Apples and Oranges man. Your one example is a dime a dozen. 

Who knows what the kids plan is... maybe he just wants to get a regular ole business degree. Bottom line, he is getting an education and might be able to have some fun in college doing it. 

It just seems like his decision to forgo his 2nd semester senior year is for sports. If it is an academic decision good for him! 

Not sure I follow!?!?!  Dime a dozen?  Most 17 year olds can't decide to get college application paperwork submitted in a timely fashion.  Here, we have a young man showing drive and initiative.  Neither are very prevalent with the millennial generation.

Athletic motivation or not, he is motivated.  Something else not common with the millennial generation.  And he is getting shit for it on a message board!

Perspective, I guess!

Not sure I follow!?!?!  Dime a dozen?  Most 17 year olds can't decide to get college application paperwork submitted in a timely fashion.  Here, we have a young man showing drive and initiative.  Neither are very prevalent with the millennial generation.

Athletic motivation or not, he is motivated.  Something else not common with the millennial generation.  And he is getting shit for it on a message board!

Perspective, I guess!

Motivation yes and impressive in that "perspective"

I do not think he is getting crap here more so just wanting to understand the situation. I do not even know the kid or even if he was good. I just asked a question and a response was made. Good for him for wanting to go and make something of himself.

But you do not get high school back or the memories that are being made in the 2nd semester which is like a breeze to graduation. The end of the year is filled with senior activities to send off a graduating class. That is all I am saying. If they kid was a 5star player and he did this then it is a no brainer... but this kid is from Narrows. There has been PLENTY of kids walk on at D1 programs... none of which, to my knowledge, that graduated early to do so.  

Simmer down a bit Sixcat. We can agree to disagree. 

Motivation yes and impressive in that "perspective"

I do not think he is getting crap here more so just wanting to understand the situation. I do not even know the kid or even if he was good. I just asked a question and a response was made. Good for him for wanting to go and make something of himself.

But you do not get high school back or the memories that are being made in the 2nd semester which is like a breeze to graduation. The end of the year is filled with senior activities to send off a graduating class. That is all I am saying. If they kid was a 5star player and he did this then it is a no brainer... but this kid is from Narrows. There has been PLENTY of kids walk on at D1 programs... none of which, to my knowledge, that graduated early to do so.  

Simmer down a bit Sixcat. We can agree to disagree. 

Asking me to simmer down implies I am somehow upset, which isn't so.  Far too many kids in SWVA peak in high school.  Kudos to this kid for not wanting to be one.

Back on topic.. E&H is a little qb heavy this cycle I think, I know they were interested in Sturgill from Abingdon, not sure on Asbury. I heard Sturgill has gotten interest and may be leaning to UVAW. E&H was pretty high on Fannon from Union also.