Wet Shaving

Any wet shavers among the group?  I know its an oddball topic for this forum but didnt know if anyone else did and what soaps and etc you may like.

My grandfather gave me a Merkur 34C and a box of Feather blades when I was 15.  It was stolen from my footlocker in the military a few years later.  After a few months of using over-the-counter crap like Gillette, I had my pharmacist, who happened to be my future father-in-law, order me another.  Now, they are readily available on Amazon but this was prior to the internet being commonplace.

As for soaps, I have tried Proraso, Taylor of Old Bond Street and several others but found a very thin coat of plain old Barbasol works best for me. 

I about purchased a 34C last year when I started using a DE.  Went with a Edwin Jagger Kelvin (DE89 with different knurling they make for Amazon).  Thinking about giving a straight razor a try in the  near future.  I like Taylor of Old Bond Street alright but only used samples from a friend.  Mickey Lee Soapworks is probably my favorite to date. Stirling and Soap Commander are good buys IMO.

I about purchased a 34C last year when I started using a DE.  Went with a Edwin Jagger Kelvin (DE89 with different knurling they make for Amazon).  Thinking about giving a straight razor a try in the  near future.  I like Taylor of Old Bond Street alright but only used samples from a friend.  Mickey Lee Soapworks is probably my favorite to date. Stirling and Soap Commander are good buys IMO.

My brother and a close friend of ours use Dr. Carvers from Dollar Shave Club and like it a lot.  I haven't tried it though.  

I have tried Mickey Lee and Stirling but not Soap Commander.  I liked them but not much more than Barbasol.  I guess my grandfather has had a lasting impression on my life.  He passed away 13 years ago and I still find myself doing all of the things he taught me. 

I guess my grandfather has had a lasting impression on my life.  He passed away 13 years ago and I still find myself doing all of the things he taught me. 

I tried finding my grandfathers old razor when I started using a DE but we were unable to locate it in Grannys house.  Sure would love to see it turn up one day, or at least figure out what he had and buy one like it.  Been thinking about getting a Gillette Fat Boy for that reason because I would bet he had something similar at some point in time.  Clubman Pinaud is one of my throwback aftershaves for that reason.  I need to get some Old Spice as well.

I have tried one feather so far.  Definitely sharp and I have some more to use as well.  Im still in that trying phase with blades.  I liked a Wilkinson Sword (seem to be lot of variation on the Sword and where its manufactured) and Personna Platinum quite a bit so far also.  

I've used a Trac II as long as I can remember (or a comparable off brand)...for probably over 40 years. 

I use Edge shaving cream. Have also used Barbasol.  I've never found a reason to use anything else. 

On those rare "special occasions" that I do shave, I use a Trac II that I got before I went to college (about 32 years ago) and Edge.  Most of the time, I just use a trimmer with a #1 guard to "clean it up".

Oh, wait...you guys are talking about shaving your faces...nevermind...

• 2 weeks later...