Richlands gets 2 new transfers.

local_insight

Ouch, I felt that one all the way here in New York.

The point being, Richlands isn't the only one receiving transfers.

Yeah you're right a lot of schools get transfers, some not as talented as others, but in general you are correct.

& I honestly don't have a problem with that. My issue is there's a 365 day rule if you don't move and this is the first time I've heard it enforced... wonder why ?

DB was very mediocre during Fry's tenure. DB is the most overrated high school in the State of Tennessee in sports, academics is another issue, but very, very average on a state level in sports.

Not to mention GC beat DB under Fry and DB said they'll never play GC in football again. They've held true to that promise.

In 1969 DB beat GC 27-12. GC got its revenge in 1970 by whipping DB 44-16

Not to mention GC beat DB under Fry and DB said they'll never play GC in football again. They've held true to that promise.

In 1969 DB beat GC 27-12. GC got its revenge in 1970 by whipping DB 44-16

I always wondered why DB would never okay GC. It's close, and would be a Huge game. In the last few years, I'd be surprised if GC didn't win more than they lost against them. I know DB is huge compared to GC, like four divisions higher, but it'd be a huge game for the region. GC hasn't been shy to play big TN schools, I know South was on the schedule last year or year before.

I was told that DB won't play the local VA schools because they view it as lose/lose. Win and well you're supposed to win. Lose, it's a huge embarrassment.

If a kid wants to transfer from Richlands to go anywhere, then that's his decision. Not my place to be upset. They are, after all, 14-18 year old kids. 

Mmmmm.  What if Richlands was reeling from multiple losing seasons and their two best players or just their best player decided to transfer to Tazewell or Graham.  I already know what your reply will be.......However, some need to try on others' shoes.  Imagine that this past season Richlands had received no transfers and John-Luke and Scottie Ball decided to go to Graham.....to win state.

If you are a Richlands fan and say that you would be alright with that.......you are flat lying.

Mmmmm.  What if Richlands was reeling from multiple losing seasons and their two best players or just their best player decided to transfer to Tazewell or Graham.  I already know what your reply will be.......However, some need to try on others' shoes.  Imagine that this past season Richlands had received no transfers and John-Luke and Scottie Ball decided to go to Graham.....to win state.

If you are a Richlands fan and say that you would be alright with that.......you are flat lying.

You would be irked, sure. But if they truly felt they had a better shot at a ring or a scholarship to ANY college -- Wise, JMU, Tech, wherever -- then that's his choice. I'm not gonna get pissed at a 14-18 year old like that. I refuse to go to that level. 

You would be irked, sure. But if they truly felt they had a better shot at a ring or a scholarship to ANY college -- Wise, JMU, Tech, wherever -- then that's his choice. I'm not gonna get pissed at a 14-18 year old like that. I refuse to go to that level. 

Choosing "me" over your teammates or peers, is not cool.  Adversity teaches many lessons, can't learn them if you bail on people.  Football isn't the only way to get a football scholarship.  You are going to college, are you on a football scholarship?  Society is going to hell in a hand basket because of the lessons kids are learning now.  I am a parent, and I will tell you that I would rather suffer on my son winless seasons than watch him sacrifice his integrity.  For my son, I will not allow it  There are bigger things in life than "wins."  I wouldn't get pissed at 14-18 year old kids either, more so at adults that endorse this type of thinking.

Exactly what age do you think "kids" should be held accountable?  This issue is not so much about football.

Choosing "me" over your teammates or peers, is not cool.  Adversity teaches many lessons, can't learn them if you bail on people.  Football isn't the only way to get a football scholarship.  You are going to college, are you on a football scholarship?  Society is going to hell in a hand basket because of the lessons kids are learning now.  I am a parent, and I will tell you that I would rather suffer on my son winless seasons than watch him sacrifice his integrity.  For my son, I will not allow it  There are bigger things in life than "wins."  I wouldn't get pissed at 14-18 year old kids either, more so at adults that endorse this type of thinking.

Exactly what age do you think "kids" should be held accountable?  This issue is not so much about football.

I was at Bluefield College and a part of a VERY small music program. We were very much a team there. I chose to leave that team for a better opportunity. I thought about me. I joined a new team who became my family for two years. We performed more than 100 performances in about 1 1/2 years in 5 different states. I faced plenty of adversity at both schools. And my choice got me to VT. But I made the choice to go to a better program that I felt could get me to where I wanted to go, VT. 

Now I was a little older when I did all of this, but I still had to think about myself at some point. I feel like I turned out just fine. 

I was at Bluefield College and a part of a VERY small music program. We were very much a team there. I chose to leave that team for a better opportunity. I thought about me. I joined a new team who became my family for two years. We performed more than 100 performances in about 1 1/2 years in 5 different states. I faced plenty of adversity at both schools. And my choice got me to VT. But I made the choice to go to a better program that I felt could get me to where I wanted to go, VT. 

Now I was a little older when I did all of this, but I still had to think about myself at some point. I feel like I turned out just fine. 

Did you move to Blacksburg or did you just drive there every day? 

The biggest difference between examples is age. When we are parents, it's Our job to raise our children and instill values. Once they are adults, it is up to them to make the decisions. As for me, I side closer to old school blues values. It only changes when it comes to honestly moving for better opportunities, whether jobs or activities. Sometimes I may consider lamenting staying in this area for lack of opportunities, but for my children, the relationship with their grandparents trumps the greater options at this point.

Did you move to Blacksburg or did you just drive there every day?

I drive back and forth every weekend. But when I was at Bluefield, I drove back and forth daily. 5 days a week. I didn't come to Tech from Bluefield, btw.

I always wondered why DB would never okay GC. It's close, and would be a Huge game. In the last few years, I'd be surprised if GC didn't win more than they lost against them. I know DB is huge compared to GC, like four divisions higher, but it'd be a huge game for the region. GC hasn't been shy to play big TN schools, I know South was on the schedule last year or year before.

I was told that DB won't play the local VA schools because they view it as lose/lose. Win and well you're supposed to win. Lose, it's a huge embarrassment.

That's exactly why DB won't play the smaller VA schools. It's funny cause you think they would be embarrassed by just playing the likes of Sullivan Central in the past. I'd be embarrassed if GC ever stooped so low to play the modern day Sully Central. And Sullivan South has been on GC's schedule since 2009, and will be for the next 2 years (if South is still open). We also added Daniel Boone for this next cycle as well.

Maybe GC can beat South this year, from all accounts this years South squad could be the worst in school history. Boone will be a hard game, they are big and very physical and play pretty solid D. and have a very good head coach.

That's exactly why DB won't play the smaller VA schools. It's funny cause you think they would be embarrassed by just playing the likes of Sullivan Central in the past. I'd be embarrassed if GC ever stooped so low to play the modern day Sully Central. And Sullivan South has been on GC's schedule since 2009, and will be for the next 2 years (if South is still open). We also added Daniel Boone for this next cycle as well.

I can't rag on any school when Union had Eastside on the schedule (although that was more out of necessity. It was about the only team Union could find but it's still not a good look. But the rest of the OOC schedule wasn't bad, Richlands, Letcher and Crockett.), but DB fancies themselves as being so much better than everyone else around, you'd think if GC was up to it that they'd schedule a game because the gate would be gigantic if it's at Kingsport. If DB felt like they'd roll GC, scheduling them shouldn't be an issue. The positives outweigh the negatives.

But DB is a big name TN school and they have tons of teams trying to schedule them so I can't blame them if they have better offers. But like you said, some of the directional local NE TN schools can't possibly offer more upside than GC.

• 2 weeks later...