Richlands @ Graham

Ryan4VT

I blame the fact the VH$L wanted to keep districts with conferences. You knock out districts then every team int he conference plays twice and we get a true overall winner. Rather you have teams like Marion and Lebanon who play in separate districts and conferences. Districts are trash and mean nothing. They have complicated everything. 

I seem to remember Richlands doing the Super Bowl Shuffle last year after beating a Graham team in the SEC Tournamemt, a Graham team that was far from full strength. I also remember that Richlands team crapping itself in the first game of Region play, driving their region-and-beyond record to 0-infinity.

No game means "anything" until Richlands meets Union in a couple of weeks. I'll take Union, because history.

Of course they did. It meant they went to the regional playoffs. They weren't guaranteed a spot like Graham until they got to th Graham game. Granted that game intself didn't mean anything with the seedings and such, but it meant something to them beating a team who had owned them for the past 2 1/2 years.

To Graham, that game was meaningless. To Richlands, that game was their super bowl.

As for the (assumed) 3rd matchup this year, I think it means something to both teams. Richlands needs to prove they can bounce back from last night, and Graham wants to prove to the west that they are legit and compete with GC. I don't think this one is as meaningless as last years. But that's just one man's opinion.

Of course they did. It meant they went to the regional playoffs. They weren't guaranteed a spot like Graham until they got to th Graham game. Granted that game intself didn't mean anything with the seedings and such, but it meant something to them beating a team who had owned them for the past 2 1/2 years.

To Graham, that game was meaningless. To Richlands, that game was their super bowl.

As for the (assumed) 3rd matchup this year, I think it means something to both teams. Richlands needs to prove they can bounce back from last night, and Graham wants to prove to the west that they are legit and compete with GC. I don't think this one is as meaningless as last years. But that's just one man's opinion.

By beating Richlands, that does NOT mean you can compete with GC. GC is head and shoulders above both teams IMO. 

This 3rd match up basically will echo who is the better team. If Graham wins, they scream the system is flawed in that Graham is 2-1 against the #1 seed from C39. While is Richlands wins, they are the outright champ and deserving of the #1 seed. 

If I was Richlands, I would play my JV team... Like you said, the game is meaningless as far as seeding. Why risk hurting Ball/Phillips for bragging rights. Richlands will need both healthy and fresh to knock off a Union team that is red hot right now. 

Hard to underestimate him when he only scored 5 points last night...oh, wait,you're talking about his daddy, the one that played the cream puff schedule so his "dream team" could look the part. Reality will set in after the Conference tourney...Union wins by 10.

Graham had and has always had the easier schedule. Graham opponents 117-149 , let me note that WV teams still have up until 23rd to play. I think 3 games left so Bluefield should win , Princeton is playing pretty well since beating Graham in Wv.

Only Bluefield, Grayson , Fort Chiswell Shafy and Richlands have over .500 record.

Richlands 164-165 with Honaker 20-3, Whythe who lost to Honaker 19-1 , Burton 14-7 who played with Union, Twin Valley 16-6 Lebanon 11-10

The conference tournament runner up advances to adjacent conferences 1 seed, and I think anything can happen and enjoy conference tournaments. Burton is 2, Tv is 2, Honaker is one , George Whythe is one, while Tv and Burton are two seeds.

Graham has Bluefield 1 in Wv , Fort Chiswelll will play Chilhowie for right to be conference 2 and go to Redford.

Glynn is A D and head Coach he schedules and cancels games to suit him, date, changes, post ponements. Richlands did not force Graham to come on a snow forecast when they had Allen with an injured arm, and Dalton out with Ankle. Cartlock made sure Richlands came to Graham last year with windchill of 0 only game from Roanoke to Tennessee last year because he has an advantage of Starter out.

Richlands played in state championship game on Saturday and played Wednesday, , Thursday , Friday , and Saturday and went Following Tuesday to Grayson a team who is much improved, and lead Graham until 4th quarter when G men shot 22fts late in the game. Richlands has lead in every game by double digits except yesterday vs Graham. Did not play a home game until January. While Cartlock had schedule 5 ish straight home games. I disagree that Graham has a harder schedule? Graham left Southwesr district and has reaped windfall of point system of AAA, AA, and. A.

By beating Richlands, that does NOT mean you can compete with GC. GC is head and shoulders above both teams IMO.

This 3rd match up basically will echo who is the better team. If Graham wins, they scream the system is flawed in that Graham is 2-1 against the #1 seed from C39. While is Richlands wins, they are the outright champ and deserving of the #1 seed.

If I was Richlands, I would play my JV team... Like you said, the game is meaningless as far as seeding. Why risk hurting Ball/Phillips for bragging rights. Richlands will need both healthy and fresh to knock off a Union team that is red hot right now.

I wasn't necessarily saying that Graham can beat GC. I don't think they, nor Richlands, are capable of that feat. But it can give them confidence to believe they can with a second consecutive win over Richlands.

Graham had and has always had the easier schedule. Graham opponents 117-149 , let me note that WV teams still have up until 23rd to play. I think 3 games left so Bluefield should win , Princeton is playing pretty well since beating Graham in Wv.

Only Bluefield, Grayson , Fort Chiswell Shafy and Richlands have over .500 record.

Richlands 164-165 with Honaker 20-3, Whythe who lost to Honaker 19-1 , Burton 14-7 who played with Union, Twin Valley 16-6 Lebanon 11-10

The conference tournament runner up advances to adjacent conferences 1 seed, and I think anything can happen and enjoy conference tournaments. Burton is 2, Tv is 2, Honaker is one , George Whythe is one, while Tv and Burton are two seeds.

Graham has Bluefield 1 in Wv , Fort Chiswelll will play Chilhowie for right to be conference 2 and go to Redford.

Glynn is A D and head Coach he schedules and cancels games to suit him, date, changes, post ponements. Richlands did not force Graham to come on a snow forecast when they had Allen with an injured arm, and Dalton out with Ankle. Cartlock made sure Richlands came to Graham last year with windchill of 0 only game from Roanoke to Tennessee last year because he has an advantage of Starter out.

Richlands played in state championship game on Saturday and played Wednesday, , Thursday , Friday , and Saturday and went Following Tuesday to Grayson a team who is much improved, and lead Graham until 4th quarter when G men shot 22fts late in the game. Richlands has lead in every game by double digits except yesterday vs Graham. Did not play a home game until January. While Cartlock had schedule 5 ish straight home games. I disagree that Graham has a harder schedule? Graham left Southwesr district and has reaped windfall of point system of AAA, AA, and. A.

We are talking about basketball in SWVA correct? Is it worth getting so worked up over?

Shesh Jay... where to begin. 

Control the controllable shall we? Richlands CHOSE to play Twin Valley... Their only out of conference opponent. Why not play a better team? TV is not a good 1A team. That is the only gripe I would imagine people have. The other opponents were luck. Both teams won to face each other in tournaments. 

As for playing those games in a row after the state championship... What are you all going to do? Tell VHS to postpone their tournament to suit your needs? Besides Ball/Horn, everyone on that team practiced for nearly a month. You guys were fine in that watered down tournament. 

FInally, when the Super says no game you do not play. That is NOT an AD decision. When school is cancelled and the Super says, No games you do not play. Richlands/Graham AD has NO say. Why is that still being brought up? 

Enjoy G-men, Richlands will win the tournament next week and beat Union on February 21 at 8pm, sorry Union but you will have to pull for Gate City after this game.  G-men will travel to Gate City and meet Mr. McClung and their season will be done.  Richlands and Graham game last night was meaningless, a fluke, no one lost or gained a thing. 

Richlands had better enjoy, because if they are fortunate enough to beat Graham in the tourney finals (which I would't bet the house on), they won't beat Graham again for .... I'm guesing ohhhh the next 3 or 4 years or so. 

I wasn't necessarily saying that Graham can beat GC. I don't think they, nor Richlands, are capable of that feat. But it can give them confidence to believe they can with a second consecutive win over Richlands.

I've been around high school sports long enough to know that anybody can beat anybody on any given night.  These are kids we are talking about.  If a good team comes i with the right game plan, it can be done.  I wouldn't crown Gate City state champions just yet.  They still have to get past Graham, Richlands and Union....which are all very capable teams.  Also, the usual suspects in Martinsville and Dan River will most likely have a big say in how things play out.

Sounds like he just makes smart decisions to me....    You can't argue that Graham plays a weaker schedule, because they play the SouthWest district teams also.

Milo....I never ran to Unions aid. The same card your pulling, I simply call it how I see it whether it's right or wrong. I respect Union....But I sure as hell don't just go running to their aid. If they are good then they are good...It is what it is no matter whether you respect them or not. I just think Richlands will rely too much on the deep ball and Union will take it to them if they do so.

And they still beat Graham in the one that mattered.

It was all but preordained that Graham and Richlands would come out of the SEC. The first game of this season that will truly matter standing alone is the one they will play against Union two weeks hence.

Honestly, I think the result would be the same if they were playing Union, Oak Hill Academy, or the '86 Celtics. I see Union as a strong favorite.

If I was Richlands I would throw the first conference game and not play for the meaningless conference trophy and concentrate on Union. What do they have to lose but the 3 dollar trophy and injuries?.  I am not convinced they didn't throw Fridays regular season game with Graham. They didn't even attempt many 3 pointers, went strictly to an inside game and was missing layups and that;s just not typical Richlands basketball.  I am so glad these stupid conferences will be gone next year and only the districts will exist.

If I was Richlands I would throw the first conference game and not play for the meaningless conference trophy and concentrate on Union. What do they have to lose but the 3 dollar trophy and injuries?. I am not convinced they didn't throw Fridays regular season game with Graham. They didn't even attempt many 3 pointers, went strictly to an inside game and was missing layups and that;s just not typical Richlands basketball. I am so glad these stupid conferences will be gone next year and only the districts will exist.

Yep, you're right. They threw the game against Graham and theyll be throwing the next game they lose too because it's meaningless. Gotta make sure all your kids are healthy so they can beat Union and get that elusive first playoff win in the school's 60+ years of playing basketball so they can erect the Fred Phillips statue outside the "house of hustle."

So, you're taking Richlands and 23? I'll take that bet. How much are you wagering my friend?

Hell, I would take that bet. Union is better than that. Plain and simple. He is not a Richlands fan.

RiverRat24 Richlands 90 Union 67

If your predicting Richlands winning 90-67 then I don't see why Richlands needs to throw a game and just focus on Union. Should be a gimmie...No need to increase focus or make it a priority when your 23 pts better.

I'd almost be willing to bet Richlands wins by 5 pts or less even 'IF' they manage to hit at least 10-15 shots from deep. I'll take Union all day by 6-12 pts....Providing Slagle and Mitchell are both healthy. This is no slight to Richlands as I know the Tornadoes are a solid team. But Union is very solid and they will play very good defense like Graham....But the difference being Slagle and Mitchell can be scoring machines. You can stop one but stopping both I don't see happening.

Give me Union 69-62. I think Richlands ends up shooting the ball well from deep and still come up short. This isn't the same Union team from the start of the season that lost to Tennessee High.