Opponents all time records Tazewell County

Bluefield researcher

So after a whole lot of time assembling things the three Tazewell County schools opponents all time records have been calculated. Now there are some games missing from the 20's and 30's for the schools themselves and for some opponents; but not many.

4968-3659-263  .555  is the all time record of Richlands' opponents

4989-4064-264  .550  is the all time record of Graham's opponents

4692-3891-279  .545  is the all time record of Tazewell's opponents

The only other schools that I have done are Princeton and Bluefield

5050-3893-278  .563  is the all time record of Princeton's opponents

5720-4096-310  .580  is the all time record of Bluefield's opponents

Not really.  It's pretty normal but you have to remember that if two common Bulldog opponents tied, let's say Graham and Richlands, then that would go down as two ties for Tazewell's opponent's record since they played them both.

You also have to remember that there was no overtime in Virginia until 1987. West Virginia started playing overtime in 1974.

Not really. It's pretty normal but you have to remember that if two common Bulldog opponents tied, let's say Graham and Richlands, then that would go down as two ties for Tazewell's opponent's record since they played them both.

You also have to remember that there was no overtime in Virginia until 1987. West Virginia started playing overtime in 1974.

Thanks for the clarification!

I found this article on the new overtime in the Richmond paper this morning while researching Highland Springs.  09-10-1987

There's one good thing about the new overtime rule in high school football games.

"You won't be kissing your sister anymore," said Meadowbrook High Coach Jamie Accashian.

There's another good thing about the new rule as well: most coaches in the area seem to like it.

"Overtime is a good concept -- especially if you're on the upper end of it," said Highland Springs Coach Rudy Ward, whose team was on the lower end of an overtime in a playoff game against Marshall-Walker in 1984. "I don't like ties. It's better for the fans, too. When you come to a ballgame, you want to leave seeing a victor."

The Virginia High School League has had the overtime in effect for playoff games since 1970, but this is the first year it has been used in the regular season.

Under the rule, each team gets the ball on the 10-yard line with four downs to score either a touchdown or a field goal. If a team scores on any down, then the other team gets its chance. The team with the most points after both teams have had possession is the winner. If the score is still tied after each possession, the game continues until there is a winner.

Conceivably, the game could go on forever. But Ken Tilley, programs supervisor for the VHSL, said that more than 90 percent of the 20 overtime playoff games since 1970 have ended after the first overtime series.

The rule was voted in for use this year by member schools of the VHSL, although it was not unanimously approved.

"Some people said after playing a team even for a whole game, is it fair to subject one team to a loss?" said Tilley.

Most of the coaches in this area don't see it that way -- even one of those who has been on the losing end already.

"Of all the experiments that have been done, this is the only fair way to do it -- even though we lost," said Colonial Heights Coach John Thomas. "We had our chances. We just blew it.

The Colonials lost to Meadowbrook 20-14 in two overtime possessions last week. That game was one of two local games (J.R. Tucker beat Benedictine 34-28 in three overtime possessions) and five around the state to go into overtime in the first two weeks.

"I thought about it this week," said Thomas. "I know I didn't sleep at all Friday night thinking about it. It leaves you with a lot of room for second-guessing. I think any coach would do that. But I can't think of any other way to do it."

Most coaches say overtime has made them think about something else: strategy. If you're behind by one point after just having scored, do you kick the extra point for a tie or go for two points?

"It makes you change your philosophy," said Ward. "I used to go for (two points) and the win. Now you've got to go for the kick (one point) and a tie, and try to win it in overtime."

Not everybody is sold on overtime, though.

"I don't like it myself," said Varina Coach Jerry Carter. "For a lot of teams, a tie is a victory, especially if it is an underdog team. If they've played a complete ballgame, the kids are pretty fatigued . . . Putting them out there for an extra period is pushing it.

"It adds a lot to the excitement of the game, so I'm not all negative on it.