Graham v. Gate City (Feb 21)

Degenerate

I'm not sure if any or all of them will happen but it wouldn't be that surprising if any of the road teams won in the 2A West boys draw.

GC has been playing rough recently. They rely too much on one player when there are 4 more capable scorers on the court 

You all say we are relying on one player as of late when we had 4 players in double digits this past Friday. On Wed every player on the team scored with 3 players in double digits. If anything GC is relying more on team play as of late instead of 1 player. McClung is sucking in so much attention when driving to the basket he gets a lot of assists down low. Hopefully Graham comes in Tuesday will the attitude that GC is just a one pony show and gets proved wrong.

GC has been playing rough recently.

1/28 Floyd County 67-43 W

1/31 John Battle 90-60 W

2/3 @ Lee High 94-62 W

2/4 Abingdon 67-37 W

2/7 @ Union 65-51 W

2/9 Ridgeview 82-58 W

2/15 Lebanon 79-57 W

2/17 Union 63-54 W

I'd hate to see what we would have done If we weren't "playing rough recently" or even let the starters play all game instead of pulling them early in the 4th like Scotty did in 5 of those games listed above.

1/28 Floyd County 67-43 W

1/31 John Battle 90-60 W

2/3 @ Lee High 94-62 W

2/4 Abingdon 67-37 W

2/7 @ Union 65-51 W

2/9 Ridgeview 82-58 W

2/15 Lebanon 79-57 W

2/17 Union 63-54 W

I'd hate to see what we would have done If we weren't "playing rough recently" or even let the starters play all game instead of pulling them early in the 4th like Scotty did in 5 of those games listed above.

That Union game the other night wasn't a great game and they didn't even have their best player, neither was the Union game at Wise. Union is a solid team, the rest of those on that list are not so much. I think it will be close, I think Graham will test GC if not beat GC. Biggest test Gate City has since the Arby's Classic.

That Union game last week wasn't a great game, neither was the Union game at Wise. Union is a solid team, the rest of those on that list are not so much. I think it will be close, I think Graham will give test us if not beat us.

Speak for yourself, I thought GC played very well in the game vs Union at Wise. This past game GC didn't shoot very well but they played the best defense and had the best rebounding they have had this season and they played a tough Union team for the 3rd time. It's hard to beat the same opponent over and over, especially once they get a feel for you. (Ask Kelly Houseright) No, GC didn't score a lot and GC's top 2 scorers were "held" under 20pts each and GC still won. That's saying something about the other guys. Just because Mac and Zac don't have 25+ points per game doesn't mean GC played subpar. Those 2 guys might of had below average points, but the team won the game on Friday. Collier stepped up with a double digit game, Dean does what Dean does for double digits, Vermillion and Kimbler hit their usual big shots, George played physical down low, etc etc etc. If Mac and Zac had an avg night the game would of been a 20+ point win. (But it wasn't) Kids are stepping up for GC at the right time with a lot of confidence to shoot, all and all, it takes a lot of pressure off of Mac and Zac so they can just be themselves and do what they do best. I'm personally glad Mac and Zac didn't have to score a crap ton to beat Union on Friday. But maybe I'm weird, I don't know.

Anyways, ya those opponents that GC has played the past month might be a bit weaker, but who has Graham played outside of Richlands and Bluefield all season? (And I don't think Richlands is all they are cracked up to be). C-40 is way tougher than C-39. I'll take GC, Union, WC, and JSB (not Lebanon) over the top 4 in C-39.

Speak for yourself, I thought GC played very well in the game vs Union at Wise. This past game GC didn't shoot very well but they played the best defense and had the best rebounding they have had this season and they played a tough Union team for the 3rd time. Union isn't a pushover, GC didn't score a lot. GC's top 2 scorers were "held" under 20 each and GC still won. That's saying something about the other guys. Just because Mac and Zac don't have 25+ points per game doesn't mean GC played awful. Those 2 guys might of had below average points, but the team won the game on Friday. Collier stepped up with a double digit game, Dean does what Dean does, Vermillion and Kimbler hit their usual. If Mac and Zac had an avg night the game would of been a 20 point win. Kids are stepping up for GC at the right time with a lot of confidence, it takes a lot of pressure off of Mac and Zac.

Anyways, ya those opponents that GC has played the past month might be weak, but who has Graham played outside of Richlands and Bluefield all season? (And I don't think Richlands is all they are cracked up to be). C-40 is way tougher than C-39.

In comparison to the other games, that game seemed very lazy in terms of effort, but I will say that GC feeds off the crowd and in that spread out gym the atmosphere just wasn't there. All I'm saying is that those guys should look to take more open shots even in games where Mac and Zac are rolling along, those kids are all very talented and if they get a wide open look they should feel inclined to take it. 

The same could easily be said about us. Union and GC are the top dogs in C40, the rest aren't very competitive. I wouldn't say it's way tougher than C39. Anyway, I digress. It should be a good game. 

That Union game the other night wasn't a great game and they didn't even have their best player, neither was the Union game at Wise. Union is a solid team, the rest of those on that list are not so much. I think it will be close, I think Graham will test GC if not beat GC. Biggest test Gate City has since the Arby's Classic.

I think that you are correct.  Graham is playing their best basketball right now, however if Gate City is as good as advertised, it will be a tall task for Graham to pull the upset.  I think they are capable of doing it, anything is possible.  They came within 8 seconds of defeating Martinsville just 2 seasons ago...within one point actually of beating a Martinsville team that won the state title convincingly.  Anything can happen, Graham is well coached and is capable of beating anybody they face in 2A, they are very young and make some mental errors sometimes, but have improved tremendously throughout the season.  Morgan showed flashes of his former self last night and if he is finally at full strength.  Having him back in the lineups takes some pressure off of Dalton.  Morgan can come in and spell him, as a big body underneath.  Cam Allen has picked up his offensive game as well.  He is a heck of a defender, but has asserted himself on offense lately.  I'm hoping for a good game and pulling for the G-Men to pull his off.

This is the Graham vs. Gate City Thread....  Take it to the Union vs. Richlands thread, otherwise known as losers bracket.

Graham and Gate City both WON their conference tourneys...

Hating what?  0 and forever in Regionals?

I didn't start it. Our dear friend UVAO did. I believe I'm well within my rights to reply, am I not? 

In comparison to the other games, that game seemed very lazy in terms of effort, but I will say that GC feeds off the crowd and in that spread out gym the atmosphere just wasn't there. All I'm saying is that those guys should look to take more open shots even in games where Mac and Zac are rolling along, those kids are all very talented and if they get a wide open look they should feel inclined to take it. 

The same could easily be said about us. Union and GC are the top dogs in C40, the rest aren't very competitive. I wouldn't say it's way tougher than C39. Anyway, I digress. It should be a good game.

I'd take 3-7 from C40 over 39, I think there is more quality there and the bottom of C40 isn't quite as bad as C39. The 7seed in C40 beat JIB earlier this season, a team that is advancing to regional play.

I was just reading an article on Graham's Darrin Martin who is Grahams' top scorer. It said he always guardian the opponent's top scorer. It should be very interesting if he matches up against McClung.

Martin is a good defender, but I think Cam Allen is coming into his own as of late as a very good defender also.  Martin never seems to be in foul trouble and is still able to do a pretty good job on defense.  On a side note, teams have taken Martin's scoring away from Graham in the past couple of contests, but Graham has had other guys step up.  Somebody  on this site stated that Graham only  has one or two good players.  I disagree.... Graham has one or two outstanding players and 6 or 7 good players that contribute a lot.