Graham v. Gate City (Feb 21)

Degenerate

Yea... seen that walk. Unfortunately there was alot of questionable calls. The biggest thing I seen is the refs didn't call the game consistently. It's hard for both teams to get a feel for the game when the refs are changing up what they are calling from qtr to qtr. However, I will say that I'd never ref a game. It's a tough job. Just wish we could get some slightly more consistent refs in SWVA.

I thought those two back court calls against Graham last night were bad calls. The second one might have been one of the worst calls I have seen all year.

I have to respectfully disagree on this. although the player both times had crossed half court when they caught the ball they were still airborne from leaping from the back court. by rule the player has to establish himself in the front court by having his feet touch the floor before he touches the ball. for some reason kids seem to instinctively leap and try to catch the ball while still in the air when it's close to being passed into the back court, when they should be trying to get their feet on the floor first

I was seated behind two current basketball coaches at GC. They both thought both calls were bad calls. I thought it was obvious that both players had already established position in the front court (by getting their feet on the floor before touching the ball).

In the grand scheme of things, those calls do not matter. Just using them to show how hard it can be to make the correct call. Seems like those of us who were at the game have about a 50/50 split on whether the correct calls were made. You could not pay me enough money to ref a high school game.

Refs being "consistent" is one of my pet peeves. Well, not that the refs need to be consistent, but that it seems like a lot of people just want the refs to be consistent.

An umpire's strike zone is the one that gets me the most. You always hear about a batter needing to adjust the umpire's strike zone. A batter has a nanosecond to decide to swing or not. Hitters spend countless hours in batting cages, and learn to swing at strikes without thinking about it. It becomes automatic. At the plate they do not have time to think about an umpire's strike zone. It is the umpire's job to consistently, correctly call balls/strikes based on what the strike zone actually is. Of course I did not complain very much when Maddux was consistently given the outside corner. :)

Similar in basketball. Kids (hopefully) learn to play by the rules of the game. It is the ref's job to call the game according to those rules. A walk is a walk. That call is not open to interpretation. Same with the block/charge stuff we talked about earlier. If something is a foul in the first quarter, it is a foul in the fourth. But....it should be/not be a foul based on the rules of the game, not on a ref's interpretation or his/her mood that night.

Sometimes refs allow a game to initially be more physical than it should be. They do not call fouls according to the rules of the game. As the game progresses, tempers flare and things are about to get out of hand. So, the refs then start calling the game "tighter" (meaning by the rules). Now everyone is pissed. Players, fans, and coaches. You start hearing things like, "Those #$%% @&^* refs let Wise Central get away with that in the first quarter, now if GC looks at someone a foul is called." Would be so much simpler if games were called correctly initially.

Refs obviously need to be consistent. Just that they need to consistently call the games according to the rules.

Oh well............I will get off my soap box. Seems my carafe of coffee is working this morning.