Building a successful basketball program

tornado99

It takes great coaching to get it started. Maintaining it is consistently making it to the state tournament or playoffs. Gate City is really the only basketball "dynasty" that I can think of around here in recent years. 

Been to Radford lately?

Third time is the charm right?

New River Valley Tradition!

And as far as a "dynasty", how would call Gate City a dynasty?

Has Gate City always been good in basketball? I have always heard about them up here as primarily a football school.

Basketball "dynasty" is kind of a stretch.

What would be some "facts" to support their being called a "dynasty"?

Dynasty (def) - A succession of rulers from same line of descent. A powerful group or family that maintains its position for a considerable time.

A considerable time. So a dynasty in high school might be what 30 or 40 years? You would have to win a whole lot in a high school program to be considered a dynasty. A few years doesn't cut it for me.

So Gate City in basketball a dynasty? What would you call their football program? I always heard their football was the standard.

I need to be informed.

Radford, George Wythe, Martinsville, Galax, Floyd County girls, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley.

These are basketball dynasties.

Been to Radford lately?

Third time is the charm right?

New River Valley Tradition!

And as far as a "dynasty", how would call Gate City a dynasty?

Has Gate City always been good in basketball? I have always heard about them up here as primarily a football school.

Basketball "dynasty" is kind of a stretch.

What would be some "facts" to support their being called a "dynasty"?

Dynasty (def) - A succession of rulers from same line of descent. A powerful group or family that maintains its position for a considerable time.

A considerable time. So a dynasty in high school might be what 30 or 40 years? You would have to win a whole lot in a high school program to be considered a dynasty. A few years doesn't cut it for me.

So Gate City in basketball a dynasty? What would you call their football program? I always heard their football was the standard.

I need to be informed.

Radford, George Wythe, Martinsville, Galax, Floyd County girls, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley.

These are basketball dynasties.

If you consider Hidden Valley a dynasty then you are terribly wrong. School was opened in 2002. According to your criteria, HV does not meet them. 

Anyway, GC has won district/conference nearly every year but one since 2000. Maybe a GC faithful can help with the correct numbers. They have a massive banner at the gym with the accolades. They have never won the big game though so maybe they cannot be considered. 

I was assuming SWVA meant the local schools to the area, BDD, SEC, CMC Cumberland, etc..

I was mainly referring to far SWVA. No slight meant to Radford, but I am sure the university helps. I am not sure about GW, and I know Council won once or twice, but no other program sticks out to me.

I'm not considering Martinsville as SWVA, but they are the most successful of all.

Athleticism is a big part of it, and not many kids from SWVA are primarily b-ball players.

Are we in an area with simply fewer athletes? In West Virginia, Bluefield is very successful on the West Virginia side. Being more familiar with football, I honestly haven't kept up with basketball, but am aware of Richlands'history of never winning a regional game. It amazes me the stark contrast with football and basketball success.

The formula is similar to football.

Consistent coaching

Running the same system from rec league through high school

Getting buy in from parents and kids.

The biggest difference is the influence of AAU coaches and helicopter parents.  Case in point Graham girls.  Everything was in place and working well until AAU coach and parents started meddling.  They haven't sniffed regional success since Raben left.

In West Virginia, Bluefield is very successful on the West Virginia side.

Bluefield WV AA since 1995...

Football- 1995 Runner-Up, 1997 State Champions, 1999 Runner-Up, 2002 Runner-Up, 2003 Runner-Up, 2004 State Champions, 2005 Runner-Up, 2007 State Champions, 2009 State Champions...4 State Titles and 5 Runner-Up finishes.

Basketball- 1995 State Champions, 1996 State Champions, 1997 Runner-Up, 1999 Runner-Up, 2006 Runner-Up, 2012 Runner-Up, 2013 State Champions, 2014 State Champions...4 State Titles and 4 Runner-Up finishes.

Bluefield WV AA since 1995...

Football- 1995 Runner-Up, 1997 State Champions, 1999 Runner-Up, 2002 Runner-Up, 2003 Runner-Up, 2004 State Champions, 2005 Runner-Up, 2007 State Champions, 2009 State Champions...4 State Titles and 5 Runner-Up finishes.

Basketball- 1995 State Champions, 1996 State Champions, 1997 Runner-Up, 1999 Runner-Up, 2006 Runner-Up, 2012 Runner-Up, 2013 State Champions, 2014 State Champions...4 State Titles and 4 Runner-Up finishes.

^^This^^ Does Bluefield really have consistently superior athletes, or a product of less competition in WV? Both?

^^This^^ Does Bluefield really have consistently superior athletes, or a product of less competition in WV? Both?

Well, they pretty much kick Graham's butt every time they step on the court...and considering Graham has been the most consistent team in Tazewell Co. for several years...you figure it out...

Honestly, I would put the best AA teams in WV against the best AA teams in VA and it would be quite competitive.

And to tell the truth, Bluefield could have won a couple more State Titles, and/or at least made it to the State Title game a few more times had it not been for their Region being so difficult to get out of.  Wyoming East and Westside have been to the State Title game another seven times during that period, including two more state titles for the Region.  Almost everyone in WV expects the winner of that Region to compete for the AA State Title on an annual basis.

Well, they pretty much kick Graham's butt every time they step on the court...and considering Graham has been the most consistent team in Tazewell Co. for several years...you figure it out...

Honestly, I would put the best AA teams in WV against the best AA teams in VA and it would be quite competitive.

And to tell the truth, Bluefield could have won a couple more State Titles, and/or at least made it to the State Title game a few more times had it not been for their Region being so difficult to get out of. Wyoming East and Westside have been to the State Title game another seven times during that period, including two more state titles for the Region. Almost everyone in WV expects the winner of that Region to compete for the AA State Title on an annual basis.

So are the athletes that good in Wyoming County? (I honestly don't know). I wonder if Bluefield would have won as many titles if they had to go through Martinsville? Is it mostly demographics or the other factors as the keys to success?