Grundy program

tornado99

Hard work, dedication(by athletes, coaches, and community), and money that allows them to do what other programs can't in our area like coaches from prestigious backgrounds, travel, wrestling the best competition, and very good facilities. All of that said, it comes back to kids wanting to strive to be like the state champs that paved the way before them.

Hard work, dedication(by athletes, coaches, and community), and money that allows them to do what other programs can't in our area like coaches from prestigious backgrounds, travel, wrestling the best competition, and very good facilities. All of that said, it comes back to kids wanting to strive to be like the state champs that paved the way before them.

Dresser (VT coach....until tomorrow morning) was a big part of it, I think. 8 titles in his 8 years there in the late 90s early 2000s kind of set the foundation, to me anyways. I could be wrong. 

I had often heard financial backing was a major advantage in getting it started before the hard work and dedication became consistent. I assume that is what brought Dresser and Fiser from Iowa. Not discounting the efforts of school and community. Just interested in the story and history.

I had often heard financial backing was a major advantage in getting it started before the hard work and dedication became consistent. I assume that is what brought Dresser and Fiser from Iowa. Not discounting the efforts of school and community. Just interested in the story and history.

I was curious as well. Where does the money come from?

No problem. Grundy wrestling has helped many other local teams as well. Lending wrestling mats, offering a free wrestling camp every summer, attending youth tournaments to help local schools fundraisers are just a few examples of their generosity. Love em or hate em, they have helped a lot of people through the years.

No problem. Grundy wrestling has helped many other local teams as well. Lending wrestling mats, offering a free wrestling camp every summer, attending youth tournaments to help local schools fundraisers are just a few examples of their generosity. Love em or hate em, they have helped a lot of people through the years.

Thanks to Mr. Robertson and his supporters for the many years of service to our area. I appreciate your sharing, Barondawg. How does a Tazewell County boy take advantage without moving?

Graham has had an AAU Wrestling Club since 1993.  Coach Dresser and Red Robertson were instrumental in helping the Graham Club get started.  Mr. Robertson contributed towards buying mats and Coach Dresser helped with set up and coaching the kids.  Kids from Tazewell & Mercer counties have participated over the years, sometimes with numbers over 80.  The need for youth wrestling is very important in building a successful program.  The days are past when a 9th grader can step on the mat and be competitive with no exposure to the sport.  The Club as a feeder to the the High School Team is very apparent.  All three of this year's Graham's State Place winners came up through the Club from elementary school.  Eight other members of this year's team also had been in the Club from an early age.  One thing that hurts Tazewell County Wrestling is the lack of Middle School Teams.  Several counties near us have Middle School Teams and this is a big help in getting kids of that age group interested and participating.  It is very encouraging that Tazewell and Richlands are getting into youth wrestling.  Wrestling is a tough and demanding sport and participation seems to be growing smaller. Many high school teams across our area can't field a full team and have several empty weight classes.  It is very important to get the younger ones out on the mat and wrestling.

It's not like Tazewell and Richlands haven't had youth wrestling in the past, it's just beginning grow again in those areas. Graham had ha Floyd of success in the past few years at the high school level. You guys should be very proud of that!

Yes, both Tazewell and Richlands have youth programs in the past.  They were quite good, but had fallen off over the years.  It is great that both are actively involved again.  It has been my experience with youth wrestling that many come out, but the number that stick with it dwindle as they grow older.  Too many distractions and competing sports.  Wrestlers are a different breed, tough, driven, and hard nosed.  Some kids don't like the the one on one competition or how physical the sport can be and drop out.  The ones that stick are there for the long haul.  Wrestling is not easy.  Like the T-Shirt says:  "Wrestling is not easy.  If it was, everybody would be doing it".