Gate City vs Dan River (2/23)

Leatherhead Larry

there was a kid at ervinton duffy gilmore who was really good back then. he couldnt stay out of trouble. i remember him scoring 51 against norton when boo sensabaugh played.

I remember Duffy and you're right, the kid couldn't stay out of trouble. He had a sister nicknamed Sweet Pea that was a good b-ball player too. Duffy could've went on to the next level but his attitude and several very poor life choices derailed any chance of that happening. At some point he transferred to Haysi for awhile but started trouble there too and Ervinton took him back.

I remember watching those games against Wake and Cincy, they had a shot to beat both.  I seem to remember Timmy made questionable decisions at the end of both games.  Liked watching them too, Tim, Fields, Wadood, Knuckles, Rhoda, Anthony, Strong, and so on.

I remember Duffy and you're right, the kid couldn't stay out of trouble. He had a sister nicknamed Sweet Pea that was a good b-ball player too. Duffy could've went on to the next level but his attitude and several very poor life choices derailed any chance of that happening. At some point he transferred to Haysi for awhile but started trouble there too and Ervinton took him back.

I was actually pretty good friends with Duffy in high school, I never had a problem with him, but yeah... he definitely stayed in trouble quite a bit.  He brought a gun to school once which was his final straw at Haysi I believe.

And I remember that Ervinton and Burton game at Clinchco where Duffy and Boo played lights out.  Instant classic that game was.  Still one of the best games I've ever witnessed.

Hey guy's, it has been a true pleasure in reading all of your post about SW basketball athletes,

And some history of them, and ETSU basketball.Thanks for sharing your memories. It takes me back

A while!

P.S best of luck to all SW VA teams still playing!

I remember watching those games against Wake and Cincy, they had a shot to beat both.  I seem to remember Timmy made questionable decisions at the end of both games.  Liked watching them too, Tim, Fields, Wadood, Knuckles, Rhoda, Anthony, Strong, and so on.  Wadood was another that couldn't keep his head on straight.

I dont remember Wadood being an issue there.  The one piece that missed that had to be booted from the team in 04 I think it was was Tiras Wade.  He was a great player made ETSU extremely tough.  He went onto to lead La-Lafayette to the tourney and either a first round upset or close to it in 05 I think.  

Ryan, the Ole saying is that Defense wins ball games, and RHS obviously

Did just that, and won. Good game plan. On the other hand the school that

that played GC did not play much defense, and still won. Go figure.Best of

Luck to Richlands and Gate City Saturday. Stay healthy guys and play with

A great deal of Pride.

On a different note, the McClung athlete from GC; How would you rate him next

To Calvin Talford, and Trazell Silvers. That goes a little ways back, and the

Game has changed somewhat since their day, but both were very good players.

I watch Talford put 76 on Chilhowie one night at Castlewood, with about 12

Throw downs and cartwheel dunks. He was no fluke at the D1 level.He played

Above the rim!

ETSU was a 14 seed that year, Arizona was a 3 seed. ETSU had Talford, Mr

Jennings, Story and Rodney English, and a solid bench. Coach Olson from

Arizona team just could Not do much against State's quickness and athletes.

It was 87 to 80 ETSU. I think that was 1992.

I got to know States recruiter back then, and State signed Greg

Belcher from Chilhowie as a shooting guard. State's coaching

Changes took it's toll on Belcher in just two years.

The kid is pretty good. I've seen him, but not even close to Calvin Talford. Not even close.

The thing that hurts him is his attitude. Very cocky and arrogant. I didn't get to catch any of the Arby's Classic this year. Although, I spoke to one of the Arby's Classic organizers, a friend of mine, and he said that out of his 20 plus years being involved with the Arby's, McClung is the one kid that he was most disgusted with. He has talent, but he really couldn't stand to watch him in the Arby's because of the attitude. Some may not mind it, but personally I believe he needs to work on that and he will be fine. CT was a much more humble player and had great character on the court.

I have watched the kid on several occasions and never have seen a cocky or arrogant bone in his body.   He is the type of player who can take over a game but if his team is playing well he backs off and lets them have it.  I think most of this fake news comes from jealousy.  You have to watch those Arby's organizers they usually have a favorite player or a son their trying to promote, then when someone like McClung shows up and exposes other players are not what the fake news says they are jealousy sets in.  I've never seen one example by anyone who tries to claim Mac is cocky or arrogant give proof.  The claims are more like your claims, "he said , she said."  He has confidence which is confused with cockiness but what player can score 64 points in a game without confidence?  Just because your an organizer of a tournament and you don't like the way someone chews their gum don't make them cocky or arrogant.  All great players are accused of being cocky.  

I don't know the kid personally....Have no clue what he's like at home or at school. He may be the cockiest lil prick to ever walk the face of earth OFF the basketball court....I really don't know. But I've never seen the kid make as much as one remark to another player on the court or say anything out of the way to a ref. He's passionate about the game and occasionally shows emotion after he scores to get the crowd into the game...But that's it.

And I know it's a shocker to you guys .....But the people that make these claims about him being cocky also are the ones making the comments like "he's okay",or "he's pretty good but not a great player", or "he's good but I don't see all the hype". I've heard it all this past year from fans...It's comical.

McClung has posterized someone's cousins half brothers nephew twice removed.....And it's tugging on some parents and friends of parents heart strings a lil bit. That's all it amounts to. Heck, Just be happy that lil Jimmy made the paper (whether or not Mac was swinging on the rim above him in the pic)

I've seen him too Milo. I guess it's an individual perception. I don't think it's jealousy as most will try to claim here. The Arby's knew of McClung before the tournament started. If you want to claim a so-called "promotional" thing, he along with Ervin would have been two of the players being promoted. They were on the Arby's players to watch list. They knew of them both through their summer play.

You spoke of proof. When GC played at Daniel Boone early in the season, maybe first or second game for GC, Mac's attitude was horrible. Right off the bat it was there. Got a technical called on him for hanging on the rim and swinging out to land on the floor and pushing an opposing player before heading back to the other end. Why? Why does a kid need to do that? Cocky attitude. Nothing to do with confidence.

There's a highly touted D1 football prospect in SWVA. While this kid has been getting a lot of attention over the last month or two with several more offers. Mac sends out a tweet saying, I'm a D1 recruit too. What's the need in doing that? Other than wanting to try and shift the attention...... He also tweets things like "check out my highlight". Why the boasting? Do you consider "check out my highlight" confidence?

I don't know the kid personally....Have no clue what he's like at home or at school. He may be the cockiest lil prick to ever walk the face of earth OFF the basketball court....I really don't know. But I've never seen the kid make as much as one remark to another player on the court or say anything out of the way to a ref. He's passionate about the game and occasionally shows emotion after he scores to get the crowd into the game...But that's it.

And I know it's a shocker to you guys .....But the people that make these claims about him being cocky also are the ones making the comments like "he's okay",or "he's pretty good but not a great player", or "he's good but I don't see all the hype". I've heard it all this past year from fans...It's comical.

McClung has posterized someone's cousins half brothers nephew twice removed.....And it's tugging on some parents and friends of parents heart strings a lil bit. That's all it amounts to. Heck, Just be happy that lil Jimmy made the paper (whether or not Mac was swinging on the rim above him in the pic)

That's not true. Ivensaid MM isnthe best basketball player I've ever seen IN SWVA,butbhendoes project an auro of arrogance.

Howdyfans, I agree it's an individual perception. As far as I can tell you've named one issue on the court and that could be questionable.  As far as him tweeting "check out my highlight" I see nothing wrong with that, I see it all the time.  If you don't believe in yourself no one else will. What he does off the court is his business as long as he don't break any laws.  As long as he plays basketball the way people love to see basketball played, I'm a fan.  He's under a telescope, put anyone under a telescope and you will find something.  Overall he's an outstanding athlete. 

I don't see anything at all wrong with saying "check out my highlight." He's trying to get noticed by coaches at the next level. That stuff helps. Coaches pay VERY close attention to social media, so he needs to try and stand out from the pack. 

He does little things on the court that others will deem cocky or showboating, but I've watched him in 4 games of his career and I've never seen him do anything that caught my attention. He plays hard, and he plays to his crowd, but that's fine in my book. 

Yes, only named one. Didn't want to fill up an entire page. Named the one game just to make a point that it's been the same attitude since the first of the season. Also, no question about that particular game and what happened. Nobody under the rim for him to swing out to avoid landing on, and the kid that was pushed did nothing to be pushed. He just happened to be in the general area of the floor.

Yes, I agree you need to believe in yourself. But the approach in how you do that is what matters and what people will remember. The kid is pretty good and I love his game, but nobody likes the attitude that comes with it. Just play the game that people love to see, as you mentioned, and leave the attitude people hates at home.

Howdy fans , go ahead and fill up the page. I want to see them. You sure won't change my mind  saying you have a full page and not producing it. He's a good kid and my favorite basketball player to watch followed by Scottie Ball of Richlands who also just got a technical foul his last game that I have yet to find out why and he is one of the most mild manner kids I have ever talked to.  Some people just don't like to be dunked on.  Anyone know why Scottie got that technical?  Radio guy never did figure it out?

Howdy fans , go ahead and fill up the page. I want to see them. You sure won't change my mind  saying you have a full page and not producing it. He's a good kid and my favorite basketball player to watch followed by Scottie Ball of Richlands who also just got a technical foul his last game that I have yet to find out why and he is one of the most mild manner kids I have ever talked to.  Some people just don't like to be dunked on.  Anyone know why Scottie got that technical?  Radio guy never did figure it out?

Didn't he get one in the Chatham game and DR game?