Gate City vs Dan River (2/23)

Leatherhead Larry

Something else to keep in mind. I do not believe anyone on this board knows what it feels like to have the athletic ability MM has. He is also a gym rat. Kid is constantly working to improve his game. What appears "flashy" to most of us, is really just normal for him. Just because none of us can dribble like him, or has the vertical leap he has, that does not mean that he should not dribble or elevate. 

If a kid works on his long range shot and is constantly able to knock down 3s as soon as he crosses half court, is he showing off when he shoots from that far out? I would argue that the kid is just using the talents that he has worked very hard to acquire. Just like MM. 

If you were the head coach of a high school team, would you take MM on your team right now......as is?

See this post makes sense, and I get where you're coming from. I can't imagine what it's like to have that type of ability, so youre right there. But at least you understood the point I was attempting to make and gave an opinion that made me consider a different POV.

I don't agree with all of it 100%, just because someone can hit a half court shot doesn't mean it's smart basketball and it should be part of the game plan, but I understand the point you're making.

BHC's article on McClung. You guys who are hating on the kid need to read it and need to quit judging a kid that has down absolutely nothing but show up your teams all season long.

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/gate-city-s-mcclung-has-some-extra-motivation/article_900bc6f0-fed4-11e6-9daa-237ccc3467d3.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Sure seems like the only person mad or butthurt is you.......

The whole Upward Basketball filth that is "everyone deserves a trophy" is starting rub off on some older people/fans. Sad sad times...People getting their feelings hurt over someone else being better. Just the cruel hand that life deals. That's all this boils down to really.

The whole Upward Basketball filth that is "everyone deserves a trophy" is starting rub off on some older people/fans. Sad sad times...People getting their feelings hurt over someone else being better. Just the cruel hand that life deals. That's all this boils down to really.

That is definitely NOT what Upward Basketball is about, but whatever suits the smear campaign, right?

I get that the travel basketball/AAU is much better competition but I would argue it is not "true" basketball. AAU is not about winning... it is about being exposed. Who cared if you go 0-4 over the weekend or 4-0. You will have Coach K, cal, roy, self there watching you toss in 50+ and a handful of assists/rebounds is all they are focused on. Games are gloried pick up games and a ton of calls are often ignored to assist with the flow of the game. 

Sure any kid who plays travel ball gets upset over "ticky tack" calls or even calls they are not called in summer. But they get used to calls being ignored in summer and suddenly calls are being made in winter are frustrating. 

This is no slight to MM... I have never seen him visibly upset over a call. This is a shot at travel ball/AAU. 

Just curious and I mean absolutely no ill will,, but how would you compare fancy (and 1 dribbling) BS to kicking a player and crying during a game? Just trying to get a perspective on this.

LOL I had the same mental thought but did not ask this.

I do get what both sides are saying though. MM is on another level, literally, when it comes to basketball here. He is probably bored, blah blah blah. Dunks and shooting deep 3s I'm cool with regardless of score and competition level. That is part of the game. A hard cross over or even a behind the back dribble or through the legs is a part of the game. When you have the teams 10th best player off the bench in a 30 point game guarding MM and this flashy stuff happens I see people's complaint though. Not really the 17 year old kids fault though. He crosses up Mitchell and he falls to the ground I have no complaints. Or even in a close game... that is basketball. But when the game is well in hand and the flashy stuff is still going on then it becomes questionable. 

That is my take on it. 

Just curious and I mean absolutely no ill will,, but how would you compare fancy (and 1 dribbling) BS to kicking a player and crying during a game? Just trying to get a perspective on this.

Does the context not make it clear? One side pure emotion, the other is doing unnecessary flashy stuff to draw attention and attempt to show someone up