The Future of Schools & Sports in SWVA?

SWVAFB

LOL, I'm out of GIFs.

There will be no "the answer". It will be cobbling together a diverse infrastructure that brings the area back. Give it a generation or so, and the results should be evident.

A generation or so, it will look like McDowell Co....

Question: Are the new consolidated schools in the coal fields going to make it thru

The hard times of less coal tax revenue? What does to future hold for schools like the

Multi-million school in Dickenson County. The Virginia General Assembly is addressing the

Issue to bring some type of financial relief, but just a one or two years of help is not going

To maintain the school over the years to come. What lies ahead?

I have heard from friends in Wise County that further consolation may occur there with Eastside closing, the info I was told is several months old. What will become of Burton if it ever closes? 

Eastside is basically Coeburn, almost all of the St Paul kids went to Castlewood (nobody really blames them).Eastside will fold into Central eventually.

If JIB closes the students will be split between Union and Central. A lot of students attending Norton schools don't live in Norton. If/when either of those scenarios happen Central will move up to 3A

Hey guys, the down turn in the coal fields counties is taking it toll in counties outside the coal

Region. Two mining support companies in Chilhowie are shutting down, with good jobs being lost. We

Share the pain of the coal industry. There is a ripple effect in SWVA when it comes to coal mining.

Chilhowie has lost students down to 414 from 439 according to VHSL stats. I may be wrong, but at one

Time Chilhowie High had close to 500 students.The other two high schools in the county are in the same

Position, losing enrollment just about every year. If you add up both the enrollment of Chilhowie

And Northwood, you will get just a few more students than Marion Senior.

Smyth County has 14 schools to operate. As I stated on a different thread, two schools are over

Crowded, while some have classrooms with few or no students. But the cost of operation is the same

For both types of schools. The kids in schools with the smaller enrollment gets the better education,

As more attention can be given to them, than in the over crowded classroom.

Smyth County has a problem. A problem that is not going to get any better unless the County Government

Starts recruiting industry and businesses on the 1-81 corridor, like Washington and Wythe Counties,

Our neighborhood counties.

I don't know what the future holds for Smyth County, but I do expect the County leaders just to

Pass the rising cost of education on to the citizens, and continue to turn the cheek at new

Business and industry.

The kids will get an education, but it will be on a shoe string Budget. Smyth County is living

In a push button world, but using pull string equipment. The beat goes on.I think the time has

Come for Smyth County to looking into stream lining the school system, and take a hard look at

Consolidation for the betterment of education of all our students.

Hey guys, the down turn in the coal fields counties is taking it toll in counties outside the coal

Region. Two mining support companies in Chilhowie are shutting down, with good jobs being lost. We

Share the pain of the coal industry. There is a ripple effect in SWVA when it comes to coal mining.

Chilhowie has lost students down to 414 from 439 according to VHSL stats. I may be wrong, but at one

Time Chilhowie High had close to 500 students.The other two high schools in the county is in the same

Position, losing enrollment just about every year. If you add up both the enrollment of Chilhowie

And Northwood, you will get just a few more students than Marion Senior.

Smyth County has 14 schools to operate. As I stated on a different thread, two schools are over

Crowded, while some have classrooms with few or no students. But the cost of operation is the same

For both types of schools. The kids in schools with the smaller enrollment gets the better education,

As more attention can be given to them, than in the over crowded classroom.

Smyth County has a problem. A problem that is not going to get any better unless the County Government

Starts recruiting industry and businesses on the 1-81 corridor, like Washington and Wythe Counties,

Our neighborhood counties.

I don't know what the future holds for Smyth County, but I do expect the County leaders just to

Pass the rising cost of education on to the citizens, and continue to turn the cheek at new

Business and industry.

The kids will get an education, but it will be on a shoe string Budget. Smyth County is living

In a push button world, but using pull string equipment. The beat goes on.I think the time has

Come for Smyth County to looking into stream lining the school system, and take a hard look at

Consolidation for the betterment of education of all our students.

14 schools is a lot for the enrollment Smyth has.

Dickenson has roughly half the enrollment but only 5 schools(counting the middle and high separately even though they share a building). Wise has a larger enrollment than Smyth but only 11 schools.

• 1 month later...

I just read the story in the Kingsport Times News about the proposal to close Appalachia Elementary, it not any of my business to comment on the story since I don't have children in the school system and it effects me none, but then I read the first couple of comments and someone played the Appalachia vs. Powell Valley card, for a school system that seems to functioning very nicely since it's consolation I hope this doesn't start driving wedges into what I see, as an outsider, as a successful thing. Please don't let this destroy your county school system. And if drastic things don't happen it is not going to be the last school that will have to close.

23 hours ago, SXSW said:

I just read the story in the Kingsport Times News about the proposal to close Appalachia Elementary, it not any of my business to comment on the story since I don't have children in the school system and it effects me none, but then I read the first couple of comments and someone played the Appalachia vs. Powell Valley card, for a school system that seems to functioning very nicely since it's consolation I hope this doesn't start driving wedges into what I see, as an outsider, as a successful thing. Please don't let this destroy your county school system. And if drastic things don't happen it is not going to be the last school that will have to close.

I saw that and replied to it. My niece's little girl goes to Appy Elementary, but this is just a numbers game, and AE falls way short compared to PV Primary. If the numbers were reversed, it would be PV Primary they would look to close. 

Appy Elementary is a classic case of poor fund management though, even in a short term sense.  Wise spent $1 Million on a new gym at AE during consolidation to make the folks in Appy happy because they had wanted a new gym for a while.  Might as well of flushed that money right down the crapper.  It doesnt fix the $2mil shortfall for next years budget but it sure wouldnt have hurt anything as far as the debt Wise is in.