What would Southwest Virginia look like if it consolidated?

HowTheWestWasWon2017

I know there have been some recent consolidations out west with a lot.of smaller schools that have now become larger schools playing a level higher.

Who are some of the counties that should be looking at consolidation?

Here in the New River Valley and points east we already have a lot of counties who have schools who have already unified and consolidated into one high school:

Patrick County,

Carroll County,

Grayson County,

Floyd County,

Franklin County,

Pulaski County,

Giles County,

Craig County,

Bland County,

Bath County,

Rockbridge County, Allegheny County,

Nelson County,

Amherst County,

Appomattox County, Buckingham County,

Halifax County,

Orange County,

Louisa County,

Goochland County,

Amelia County and Madison County to name a few.

I have listed 22 schools in the state in our area and East and I believe there was one in the West if swva_havok will correct me called Ridgeline or Ridgeview or something like that which is in Dickenson County and another county named Lee which is also a county school I believe? So that makes 24 just that I know of.

The other ones left not consolidated between the western Virginia border and the county of Montgomery that has just one county school in it would be:

Wise,

Scott,

Buchanan,

Russell,

Washington,

Tazewell,

Smyth,

And Wythe counties.

That 24 of 32 counties from the western Virginia border to the northern West Virginia border to the area of Montgomery, Roanoke, Botetourt, Bedford, Henry and Pittsylvania counties that does not have a one county, one consolidated school system.

If these unconsolidated school systems did consolidate what would it be like? Do we see any of them joining together as one in the future. If so what would they be renamed if anything and would they be better off academically and athletically?

The central VA County schools that you mention; Nelson, Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Orange, Louisa, Amelia, Madison, Floyd, Franklin and I'll throw in William Monroe (Greene County) and Culpeper were consolidated right after WWII from small k-12 schools in one building. It wasn't due to dwindling enrollment it was to offer the full high school experience to students at the small rural schools in those counties. Comparing them to the situation in SW VA right now is apples to oranges.

I know it would never happen but I remember back in high school when they shut down Pocy and the students had to decide between Graham or Tazewell. It brought up interesting conversations of what would happen if Graham and Tazewell were ever to consolidate and build a mega high school right in the middle of Bluefield and Tazewell. Always thought if it ever did happen down the road they could name it East River High School haha

I know it would never happen but I remember back in high school when they shut down Pocy and the students had to decide between Graham or Tazewell. It brought up interesting conversations of what would happen if Graham and Tazewell were ever to consolidate and build a mega high school right in the middle of Bluefield and Tazewell. Always thought if it ever did happen down the road they could name it East River High School haha

Springville High, Divides High, Bluestone River High, Shannondale High, Bailey Switch High, Gov. G.C. Peery High...lots of choices...

Springville High, Divides High, Bluestone River High, Shannondale High, Bailey Switch High, Gov. G.C. Peery High...lots of choices...

I could see a western high school being named G.C. Peery High School. But the names will be some fruity togetherness horsehockey like Wise County did.

I could see a western high school being named G.C. Peery High School. But the names will be some fruity togetherness horsehockey like Wise County did.

Don't let the kids pick anything. You'll end up with stupid, generic, consolidated school colors like Black, Teal Green, and Purple and a nickname like the Panthers or Warriors. 

Whether people like it or not, Ridgeview's mascot was chosen as a joke. When selecting it, the movie "The Hangover" was wildly popular... They had a few different mascots and Wolfpack won as a joke. Wolkpack is not a terrible mascot though... 

Central Warrior/Eastside Spartans are the most generic names ever. Union Bears have a tad bit of character though. 

Whether people like it or not, Ridgeview's mascot was chosen as a joke. When selecting it, the movie "The Hangover" was wildly popular... They had a few different mascots and Wolfpack won as a joke. Wolkpack is not a terrible mascot though... 

Central Warrior/Eastside Spartans are the most generic names ever. Union Bears have a tad bit of character though. 

Yeah, I like the Wolfpack name.  If nothing else, it gave the people running the PA at the football games to play the nWo Wolfpack theme during pre game warmups.  As a wrestling fan, I appreciate this.  :)

Wrong on the origins of the Wolfpack mascot. It was popular, very popular, with adults before the kids voted on it. 

Agreed with not letting the kids pick mascots and colors. Allow them to submit suggestions but they shouldn't get the final say. Dickenson Co allowed online suggestions and then narrowed it down to several popular choices.

Wrong on the origins of the Wolfpack mascot. It was popular, very popular, with adults before the kids voted on it. 

Agreed with not letting the kids pick mascots and colors. Allow them to submit suggestions but they shouldn't get the final say. Dickenson Co allowed online suggestions and then narrowed it down to several popular choices.

False.

They allowed the kids to toss suggestions out for mascots and names. The kids all rallied around the wolfpack idea because of the movie. Social media assisted this a lot.

They modeled that from Wise County when they selected their school names and mascots. They let the kids have "input' since it would be them attending the schools. 

R.B. Worthy (Saltville) Shakers!

Best Nickname EVER!  Okay, so I'm biased.  But living in Saltville from age 9 to 16 may have had some influence!

I remember ESPN did a story on original or clever high school nicknames and they mentioned R.B. Worthy Shakers, and also stated that no one else used that nickname.

some great mascot names:

West Virginia

Gary Coaldiggers

McComas Loaders

Bramwell Millionaires

Poca Dots

Marlinton Copperheads

Baileysville Rough Riders

Benwood Union Steelmen

Ceredo-Kenova Wonders

Coalwood Little Robins

Kimball Terrors

Farmington Farmers

Gauley Bridge Travellers

Harrisville Gators

Cairo Pharaohs

Huntington Pony Express

Kingwood Stags

Sharples Stags

Mark Twain Authors

Virginia

William King Mighty Midgets

Dublin Dukes

Fluvanna County Flying Flucos

Pembroke Corncutters

Hampton Crabbers

Newport News Shipbuilders

Highland Springs Springers

Jefferson (Roanoke) Magicians

Lexington Goat Herders (in the 1920's)

Crewe Railroaders

Rich Valley Steers

St. Charles Midgets

Don't let the kids pick anything. You'll end up with stupid, generic, consolidated school colors like Black, Teal Green, and Purple and a nickname like the Panthers or Warriors. 

This is from a very good source at Northwood. " A committee of students from from both schools (Rich Valley and R.B. Worthy) met to decide name, colors, and mascot.  Salt Valley was one of the favorites as was North Smyth. They settled on Northwood as not to show any favoritism.  The name was Panthers from the start due to the wildlife in the area.  The colors were navy and gold (like Pitt) but it offended the RBW side because of RV gold.  It was then changed to silver.

I was in grade school when the consolidation happened, but what I have heard from some of the people that were supposedly on that committee the story is very similar.  The biggest difference is how "Northwood" came about.  It was told to me that the committee was sitting under a picnic shelter behind the football stadium deciding on names and one of the students laid down on a picnic table and was looking up at the rafters  and one of the studs had "Northwoods Lumber Company" stamped on it. That person suggested "Northwood" and it was voted on.

some great mascot names:

West Virginia

Gary Coaldiggers

McComas Loaders

Bramwell Millionaires

Poca Dots

Marlinton Copperheads

Baileysville Rough Riders

Benwood Union Steelmen

Ceredo-Kenova Wonders

Coalwood Little Robins

Kimball Terrors

Farmington Farmers

Gauley Bridge Travellers

Harrisville Gators

Cairo Pharaohs

Huntington Pony Express

Kingwood Stags

Sharples Stags

Mark Twain Authors

Virginia

William King Mighty Midgets

Dublin Dukes

Fluvanna County Flying Flucos

Pembroke Corncutters

Hampton Crabbers

Newport News Shipbuilders

Highland Springs Springers

Jefferson (Roanoke) Magicians

Lexington Goat Herders (in the 1920's)

Crewe Railroaders

Rich Valley Steers

St. Charles Midgets

You left of the Churchland (VA) Truckers.

False.

They allowed the kids to toss suggestions out for mascots and names. The kids all rallied around the wolfpack idea because of the movie. Social media assisted this a lot.

They modeled that from Wise County when they selected their school names and mascots. They let the kids have "input' since it would be them attending the schools.

I'm really not going to get into an argument with you over this but Dickenson picked their colors and mascot before Wise picked theirs, even though Wise broke ground on their schools first. But don't take my word for it, I just lived in the county, am friends with teachers at the school/schools, am friends with people who were attending the schools at that time and know school board members.

The kids may have latched on to the name later but Wolfpack was the favorite from the very beginning and not because of the movie

Smyth County has spent millions of tax dollars " fixing " up old Schools over the last 10 years

Or so. They built one new elementary school near Seven Miles Ford, off I-8, Oak Point ES, to serve

Marion......

Well, the old schools are still what they were before this first hammer hit a lick......We still have

Old schools with a lot of mileage on them. Some of these schools are full of asbestos, in the floor

Tiles, pipes, and around the schools. We all know how asbestos was used in the 50's for insulation

When some of these old schools were built.

In my opinion, the powers at be are afraid to bring up the subject of consolidation, fearing political

Reprecussions.......so the beat goes on......Patch work construction at old schools. We have schools that should be closed, due to lack of students, but those same schools cost just as much to heat

And Administer, just like the over crowded schools.

We have schools were students have to eat lunch at 10:45 am, because the cafeteria can not accommodate

The students at a normal lunch time. But instead of addressing that issue, a new school is built to

Serve a different group.

No one wants their neighborhood school closed, and I can understand that. But when you live in a county that doesn't bring in business tax, but just raises real estate and auto taxes and fees, it is

Very hard to understand the thinking of some people.

Smyth County is on I-81, between Washington and Wythe Counties. Look at those two neighbor counties,

And then take a good look at Smyth County. Big difference in industrial and business recruitment.

Will the mom and pop stores bring in the tax revenue to support our schools on a Consistent bases now, or in the future ? Best of Luck!

I'm really not going to get into an argument with you over this but Dickenson picked their colors and mascot before Wise picked theirs, even though Wise broke ground on their schools first. But don't take my word for it, I just lived in the county, am friends with teachers at the school/schools, am friends with people who were attending the schools at that time and know school board members.

The kids may have latched on to the name later but Wolfpack was the favorite from the very beginning and not because of the movie

I mean I guess your "inside source" is more reliable... 

My understanding was the county influential people "named" the school Ridgeview but the kids selected the mascot. Wolfpack was the run away victor due to the second movie coming out around the same time as the school mascot being chosen. 

Difference of opinion, but I also "know for a fact" that the kids voted on wolfpack as a joke. Whatever you want to believe about your county man. If it helps you guys to think it was chosen for it being a "cool mascot" good for y'all. I still think there is no shame in it. NCST makes do with the mascot...