Mac McClung

Now that I can post this without conflict. Which I'm sure this is no secret. Gate City will be loosing their superstar point guard. Via Oak Hill assistance which I shouldn't have named. Mac McClung will be offered scholarship to Oak Hill Academy where he will play his Senior year.

Now that I can post this without conflict. Which I'm sure this is no secret. Gate City will be loosing their superstar point guard. Via Oak Hill assistance which I shouldn't have named. Mac McClung will be offered scholarship to Oak Hill Academy where he will play his Senior year.

Maybe you should let him announce that.

In a previous thread, someone called McClung selfish or a showboat or both.  That is pure BS.  I saw that kid play his arse off tonight and I would take him all day every day and any day.  He recognized the hustle of teammates, fed the open guy and was the best player in the State quarterfinals at JMU today.  My hat is off to the kid.  Good luck wherever he ends up!

Mac is always playing his tail off. That and paying taxes are two things you can count on. Some people just get up in the morning looking for something to be negative about. The kid is a lot better person, and teammate than some will give him credit for.

Local_insight reporting on the scoop. With his long history of breaking the story on this message board it's no surprise that he would be first on the scene! Thank you for bringing us another post filled with poor grammar, misspellings, and wild guesses...I mean "facts."

We couldn't get by here without you. Stay classy Ron Burgundy,

I know this thread is about McClung and  wherever this young man chooses to play his final season, I wish him the best.

I am not a person with Bill O'Reilly's "word of the day" grammar, but I strive each day, in my Christian walk, to have compassion and kindness .  For a poster to come on here, BELITTLE AND BULLY a group of young men with disparaging remarks after an enormous loss for them, I am saddened.  His comment is a reflection of the time in which we live, no respect or honor for others.   A sad commentary for him.  May his eyes be opened one day to the truth of how God created us. 

As a GC fan, I would hate to see him go. Think we have the chance to have a very special team next year if he stays. 

Last night against Lee, we had 3 freshman, 1 sophomore, and 1 junior on the floor together a few different times. Would love to see those kids all play together next year. 

I can see how Oak Hill would allow Mac to practice/play against some of the very best kids in high school ball. Should help him improve his game, and give him even more exposure. 

Wait! Just hit me. I thought GC benefited from all these TN students coming to GC to play sports? Not a chance in Hell Mac would leave. Is just not how things work at GC. We have all these TN kids coming. GC players do not leave.  :)

First off tough loss for GC last night. Thought with that comeback at the end of regulation that y'all would pull it out in ot but sometimes things just don't work out. Still a great year with a young team. Now about Mac. I saw him play 4 times last year, once scouting the GC-Richlands game in regionals, twice against Mavahi and once against Graham. He played with a very high motor, and seemed a little high strung but not in a mean or malicious way. I never saw him engage in anything that I would say was arrogant or show boating behaviour. Only once he lost his cool in the state semis against Martinsville, but I attributed that more to GC just playing terrible and nothing going right for them that day. He is very talented and has a bright future ahead of him. If he has played his last game for GC, at least y'all have 3 years of really good memories of him. How many kids can put up 64 against a good team like DR. Heck the Dogs played them the game before and didn't score but 53 or 54 as a team. Again good luck to Mac in the future in whatever he chooses to do. Extremely talented individual.

If, in fact he goes to Oak Hill.  I would hate it for Gate City fans.  However, if he wants to be in the spotlight and be recruited by big time schools, Oak Hill is where he should go.  He will get National attention there and have a chance to go to some good colleges.  Somebody said that he has "lower D-1" talent.  I believe that kid is special and could go to a Major College with his talent.  Heck, if J.J. Redick could do it, McClung certainly can.

He is getting all the attention he needs at gate city, and the travel ball gives all the looks any scout needs to see against top talent. He is a special player in my opinion that can play big D1 ball. I thinkthe bigger offers will come his senior season even if he stays at gc

If, in fact he goes to Oak Hill. I would hate it for Gate City fans. However, if he wants to be in the spotlight and be recruited by big time schools, Oak Hill is where he should go. He will get National attention there and have a chance to go to some good colleges. Somebody said that he has "lower D-1" talent. I believe that kid is special and could go to a Major College with his talent. Heck, if J.J. Redick could do it, McClung certainly can.

I said that and I still believe it. Offense is sound, but he's undersized and from all accounts his defense leaves much to be desired. That is usually a recipe for a conference like MAC or C-USA. That isn't a bad thing at all...less than 1% of high school athletes go D-1. Hell of an accomplishment. But realism goes a long way.

In a related note, comparisons to Redick are absurd and unfair. Redick was magnitudes more polished at this stage than McClung. Oak Hill is not a guaranty of high major stardom. B.J. Stith started for Oak Hill, and wound up at ODU, a mid-major. There are more in that vein.

I am in no way trying to throw shade. I hope he becomes so great that LeBron James will wear Mac McClung pajamas. But I follow college basketball recruiting very, very closely for obvious reasons, and I'm not falling into the "biggest fish in the little pond" trap.

Prep schools are not prestige. They basically say I can't make the grades at my regular school and where I play is beneath me.

If major colleges want you they will find you.

I have family in the Tidewater and schools like Georgetown and UNC found Alonzo Mourning and JR Reid at Indian River and Kempsville. Duke found Grant Hill at South Lakes and JR Reddick at Cave Spring in the Roanoke Valley.

I'm pretty sure these guys were studs on their teams and were surrounded by people who never played college basketball.

So if a guy feels he must leave his team to go somewhere else "better" sounds like other underlying factors involved. Just my opinion.

I dont think Oak Hill makes a ton of sense for McClung for the most part.  Why go from major minutes  to probably the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench?  If he goes there I hope he succeeds but if a prep school is where he heads, Christ School or somewhere like that seems to make more sense to me.  I think the odds are he will be back at GC.  The comparison of him leaving GC and his sister leaving GC early are apples and oranges.  Soccer is a spring/fall sport and she was taking advantage of an opportunity to work out with the university she chose early like many football players do.

When this rumor popped up last year, I called BS within that thread. Oak Hill was returning the top 4 players at guard from the previous season and all 4 were major D1 signees.

This year is different. All 4 of those guys graduate and they return nobody from the back-court. Oak Hill is also returning several front-court stars. McClung is the type of talent Steve Smith looks for and develops beyond what "regular" high schools are capable.

It makes sense for next year.

I said that and I still believe it. Offense is sound, but he's undersized and from all accounts his defense leaves much to be desired. That is usually a recipe for a conference like MAC or C-USA. That isn't a bad thing at all...less than 1% of high school athletes go D-1. Hell of an accomplishment. But realism goes a long way.

In a related note, comparisons to Redick are absurd and unfair. Redick was magnitudes more polished at this stage than McClung. Oak Hill is not a guaranty of high major stardom. B.J. Stith started for Oak Hill, and wound up at ODU, a mid-major. There are more in that vein.

I am in no way trying to throw shade. I hope he becomes so great that LeBron James will wear Mac McClung pajamas. But I follow college basketball recruiting very, very closely for obvious reasons, and I'm not falling into the "biggest fish in the little pond" trap.

I disagree.  I got to see Redick play at the high school level and McClung.  They are different types of players and I would like to have seen that one on one contest, if possible.

I lived in Roanoke during Redick's middle and high school years. His parents lived in an adjoining neighborhood to the one where I lived. Without question, Redick was more polished at that point than McClung is now. Not intended to be a knock on anyone, just a fact.

Redick was a member of the 2001 USA Basketball youth team, the 2003 FIBA USA junior team, 2003 USA Basketball junior team, 2005 USA U21 National Team that all competed across the gobe. He also played on the Boo Williams AAU national championship teams that featured and competed against a who's who of future NBA talent. Just Google Redick's USA Basketball profile. He played in 13 countries prior to attending Duke.

While McClung has an impressive resume for a small area kid, he hasn't done anything remotely close to what Redick had done at this stage of his career.

Being a Kentucky fan, McClung reminds me of the late 80's Rex Chapman.

Chapman was an All American at UK, and was a little taller than MM. McClung is a good shooter but Rex was like Reddick, lights out. Chapman averaged like 15 PPG in the NBA, if McClung can be 1/10tn the player that Rex was, he'd be a huge success.

When a child is born into this world, we never know what lies ahead for that young child and his

Family. I believe that God blesses us with talent at times, and he sets back and sees what the youngster will do with that talent.

A lot of times, we are influenced by others around us, and those people have a large impact on

The future of the talented youngster. God knows what lies ahead for us all. Sometimes we are

Surprised at the end of the day, other times we are disappointed, and did not fulfill God's plan.

Those that are truly blessed with God's gifts and make the best of it, are to be commended. They

Persevered through thick and thin, met the challenges, overcome the obstacles and made many people

Proud. Our youth should seize the moment, and do the very best that they can be in the eyes of our

Maker.

The impact that we have on others will last a lifetime. The memories will be told by many to other

Small kids, that will make them want to be great athletes also. We can't determine our future, we can

Only steer it in one direction or another, and hope that we chose the right direction. It comes

Down to one very important thing; our choices that we make, and the free will that God gives us

All to make those choices.

• 1 month later...

I tried to tell you idiots, but yall just won't listen  

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/boys-basketball-player-of-the-year-gate-city-s-mac/article_bcb5e3ee-1cce-11e7-b6bf-c7dba4208a78.html

“Believe it or not, I haven’t talked to anybody about moving or told anybody I wanted to,” McClung said on Wednesday. “Gate City’s my home and I believe I’ll stay here.”

as for Local Insight (CNN) nice liberal move on posting the fake news. Don't believe everything you hear next time. ;)