State Championship picks

Hokie777

Radford versus George Wythe..I go  Radford 70-66 over GW

Central Lady Warriors versus Martinville...Picking Central 50-47 in a tight game

George Wythe girls 47-44 over Parry M 

Robert E. Lee 72-67 over Amelia County 

All these game should be great to watch. Won't be able to go watch. Did see 4 games at Va High yesterday. Great crowds and fan support. 

Who do you guys think prevails in the final game of the year?

I noticed Lee seemed to beat Dan River to death (physically) inside with no call, then on the other end Lee was jumping over their backs for rebounds and DR was called for a foul the majority of the time. Bob's right, he was camped out in the lane for the majority of the game. Heck if they're not going to call it, then I'd do it too...lol

Lee may have used the officiating they are use to to their advantage as anyone else from that area could have.  From my understanding, the association that covered the area the games were hosted in worked all of the games and given Lees proximity I would assume those crews covered their games or they saw them with other teams on their schedule.

I am in no way saying anything was done that was unfair or to give Lee direct benefit.  I was a little surprised to hear that one association was covering all games instead of pulling in groups of officials to assign from neutral associations as they do in other sports at state level events.  I would assume officials from neutral associations will be used for the finals, unless both schools competing against one another are from the same association.

After watching all the games at JMU this past weekend, I was privileged to see some really good players and some awesome plays.  But the funniest thing happened between the Richlands and Amelia cheerleaders.

For quick background, when East Rock went to Amelia the Amelia cheerleaders would wait until ER's girls did their cheer then comeback with something or their own and "throw it" back at ER.  A kind of "bring it on" theme.  They did the same thing v. Madison.

During the Richlands/ Amelia game, the Richlands cheerleaders were doing a kind of line dance to "cotton-eye Joe"...and Richlands has a bunch of cheerleaders.  The Amelia cheerleaders were flabbergasted at the "line dance".  One of them started her rendition of the moves when the head cheerleader(?) took her by the arm and vehemently shook her head saying "NO".  The poor girl was so awkward with line dance moves...kinda' looked like me trying to break dance.  Maybe you had to be there but it was hilarious. 

Lee had a 17-1 run in which they were just throwing themselves at the ball, every rebound was a battle royal, cross checking was rampant (ala hockey) and they were called for ONE foul during that stretch.  They were down 16 and threw caution to wind...do not blame them at all, they were floundering at that point.  But the officials allowed them to get away with murder during that run.  DR never had a chance.  I think the officials were a bit overwhelmed by it all for a 6 minute period there. 

I don't know that they was "for" Lee....But the refs sure didn't hurt them any at any point in any of their games. Could have been slightly partial. Definitely was never a 3 second call made on Vaughn or George either one that I noticed and they was camped out in the paint.

I think George Wythe gets the sweep in 1A.  I think Central will beat Martinsville.... unfortunately.  Dotson will come in with a better gameplan than what he did up at James River in the regionals.  Lee will win 2A boys.

Just curious why you think it is bad for a local team to beat Martinsville? If Ridgeview played Martinsville Thursday ..would it be unfortunate if Coach Frazier won ??

Just curious why you think it is bad for a local team to beat Martinsville? If Ridgeview played Martinsville Thursday ..would it be unfortunate if Coach Frazier won ??

Yeah... You've probably never been to a Ridgeview/Central game.  Lol.  The fan bases and student bodies simply don't like one another.  Central fans showed up at UVA-Wise for the regionals and state quarterfinals last year just to support the other team, so if that's how they feel, then that's how we feel also.

I do like and admire coach Dotson though and think he's a good guy.  And he's by far the best girls coach, maybe all time, in SWVA.  He's the only one who has tried to inhibit class and sportsmanship in the rivalry.