Smyth County Schools in a state of despair !

SWVAFB

We send our young children off to school, which we like to think is a safe

Place, and no harm will come to them, under the protection of adult teachers

And instructors. Well, according to reports today in the News, an adult volunteer assistant volleyball coach at Marion Senior High School has been

Charged with several different criminal sexual offenses that involved a student

At MSHS.

If these allegations are true, some heads need to roll in the school system

In Smyth County. From what I have read, a young " volunteer " assistant Coach

Of the Volleyball team had an " inappropriate " relationship with a student.

Details are limited at this time, but some employees at MSHS and the Central

Office needs to be relived of their duties immediately. Common sense should

Tell normal people that young adults do not need to be " volunteering " for

Girls high school sports. It has disaster written all over the entire matter.

The school board had to approve of this arrangement, as well as the school principal, head coach, and athletic director. The arrangement allowed

This person to be in a caretaker role at MSHS. There appears to be a great deal

Of incompetence with these employees, and they should never be put in a decision

Making role again. Their employment should be terminated immediately.

The Smyth County School system is in a state of despair. The Superintendent is

New and inexperienced, and the school system itself is a very tough situation

Financialy. Smyth County tries to operate 14 schools, all over the county, when

In reality, Smyth County needs only about half that number.

The citizens are being taxed to death to keep all these schools and their employees in good standing. The county refuses to recruit businesses and industry to help offset the educational cost. Real estate and personal property

Tax and higher taxes assessment is the County way to pay for educational cost.

The county has recently lost several principals and vice principals. Some have

Just quit and took factory jobs, and other retired to just get out of a very poor administered school system. Get ready Smyth County, you are going to need

A whole lot of money, when all the law suits are settled.

My thoughts and Prayers are with this young child in Smyth County.

I saw this on WCYB earlier... Said the guy was 22 years old. 

Nice play onto bashing Smyth Co though. I do not think people should lose their job over the actions of one individual who is not employed by SCPS. No one knew what was going on. Now if someone with authority knew that is totally different. I would imagine no one knew until this got brought to light today. 

Definitely a tough article to read however. I read the comments on WCYB facebook... the young man's mother is on there telling people it is not what it seems. I suppose we will see how this plays out but regardless will be tough on SCPS.

Completely off topic but does anyone else wonder why SWVAFB's post are formatted strangely? It is almost formatted like a new paper. Sorry carry on!

Mr. Vitale, I am sorry that I upset you with my post, and the format it was in. Mr. Vitale, I

Worked for over 30 years helping prosecute cases of this nature, until my retirement. My words stand

As they are. My heart feels the pain of that young child, and the pain her parents are experiencing.

Was I upset when I wrote the post, sure; and I am still upset. Many citizens of Smyth County share

My views of our county educational system. Where do we we turn for help? Senior citizens such as me,

Are at the mercy of our elected officials when it comes to providing a promising education for our

Youth.

Again, I can only write the way I do. As for my post being " formatted strangly ", well it is what

It is. I am certainly open to your suggestions, if you would like to share the way I should write

My post. You have a nice Day!

Mr. Vitale, I am sorry that I upset you with my post, and the format it was in. Mr. Vitale, I

Worked for over 30 years helping prosecute cases of this nature, until my retirement. My words stand

As they are. My heart feels the pain of that young child, and the pain her parents are experiencing.

Was I upset when I wrote the post, sure; and I am still upset. Many citizens of Smyth County share

My views of our county educational system. Where do we we turn for help? Senior citizens such as me,

Are at the mercy of our elected officials when it comes to providing a promising education for our

Youth.

Again, I can only write the way I do. As for my post being " formatted strangly ", well it is what

It is. I am certainly open to your suggestions, if you would like to share the way I should write

My post. You have a nice Day!

When I say "formatted strangely" I mean it is in block format. Like you type it somewhere else and place it into the reply box. It's not a bad thing at all. No complaints with how you use your words or anything... 

As for it ebing plural "heads rolling" how many people do you suggest to be fired? principal? super? coach? AD? school lunch lady? guys kindergarten teacher? 3rd grade art teacher? Seriously we can go on and on. Bottom line, the young man allegedly has done something. I agree this is a terrible accusation, this action was only carried out by himself. 

Again, anxious to see how this plays out and how many people "knew" about this. I feel for the school and victim in this situation. Rocky times until summer for MSHS

Are you saying that schools shouldn't use "volunteers"?

These days there are more volunteers than ever. The amount of teachers willing to coach sports is in a decline. It is getting harder and harder for Head Coaches to bring in coaches because they don't have the luxury of teaching positions for them. It isn't like it was 20 years ago where you can just hire a coach and get them a teaching job at most places. I would bet that nearly every sport in Tazewell County has at least one "volunteer" on staff. Those "volunteers" also have to go through the same background checks and drug testing policies that a teacher does.

If this guy did what he is accused of, he carries the entire responsibility of his actions. How the "heads" handled it after the fact is on them.

The Smyth County School system is in a state of despair. The Superintendent is
New and inexperienced, and the school system itself is a very tough situation
Financialy. Smyth County tries to operate 14 schools, all over the county, when
In reality, Smyth County needs only about half that number.

The Superintendent is New but not Inexperienced, Just because he is "younger" than the past 2 does not mean he isn't qualified. He has been an educator his entire adult life, he has come though the ranks to get where he is. You have to give him a chance and see what he can do for the system.

As for having 14 schools, I must be missing one I can only think of 13. (I am not disagreeing with you)   I count 4 for Northwood, 3 for Chilhowie, and 6 for Marion.  What school am I missing? I really can't think of another one.  What schools would you shut down? Or how would you cut the number in half?

I am sure Smyth County isn't the only school system in Southwest Virginia that has old buildings and an overbuilt school system. If you go ask enough people in any school system you are going to find a few dozen in any county that will say something crazy just to gain attention. The opening statement of the thread is rambling and it borders on incoherence and changes subjects from sentence to sentence, if you are to have an airing of the grievances it needs to make sense. I am sure they are problems but you make sound like the schools are constructed of cardboard and the children are playing with matches and gasoline. Take some time calm down and breathe will you are typing. Remember there are problems everywhere and it probably isn't any worse in Smyth County that it is in some of the neighboring ones, this one just has squeakier wheels!  

ive said this about these type of situations before and I will say it again. Discussion of such things has no business on here. Theres a lot at stake for the man and this can be damaging for him whether hes found guilt or not, it also reflects poorly on the girl and I don't believe any of us has any inside info so we really shouldn't be making assumptions. 

But I think most of us can agree that allowing a 22 year old to be around teenage girls as a volunteer not affiliated with the school system probably wasn't a good idea.

The last time I checked, the Smyth County Tech. and Career Center was still in operation.

#14.

Got ya.  I wasn't counting that one, simply because it would still be needed no matter what the county did with the other schools.  Although that particular school used to be a joke 20+ years ago, kids shooting basketball or playing football instead of learning a skill or trade.  I believe that has change since then.

Shouldn't this be in the "General Discussion and Local Talk" Forum?  

This is in the football forum and my immediate thought was that the football teams in Smyth County were in a state of despair....and I thought....yeah, what's new?

As far as the subject matter of this post.  I think it's in everybody's best interest to find FACTS first before deeming everybody to hell.  

Some great folks work at MSHS, including the Principal and coaches.

• 3 weeks later...

From SWVA Today:

Smyth County Schools Superintendent Dennis Carter reiterated Thursday that the incidents outlined in the warrants occurred after the high school volleyball season had ended and the travel team’s season had begun.

“Really, this is outside the school setting,†he said. “This was outside of our school’s volleyball team.â€