Colobro Out?

Blue_Crue

Under the impression that it was lack of participation from students in the weight lifting program.  I guess with other sports going on it thins out, but I would think he would've thought of that coming in.  There was a lot of excitement looking forward to the new season and different coaching, now we get to do it again.  Tazewell needs to support the next coach and continue on, move forward.

Is Mance out after next year?  Why is he quitting.  I heard he had a bunch coming up with no skills and didn't want to ruin what he has accomplished. 

He's been there over 25 years, that's not quitting, it's called retiring. 

So he is not going to work after retiring?  I heard he was going to another job.  I just see it like this, Richlands has been good to him, the town stands up for him like you are standing up for him now.  I know there are parents who want him to coach their children and are sad at the news he is leaving.  I think this situation too will take time to tell, Is he going to stick with the town that put him on the map or quit and run to another job for his best interest.  Time will tell.  I hope your right, but he is only 50 I don't see him quitting with the love for football that he has.  A lot of people are upset that he is just bailing out because rough times are ahead.  Excited to watch this unfold.

I think he's retiring so someone who knows everything about everything such as yourself Milo can take his place and turn Richlands into a national contender. 

I'm sure you, with your infinite wisdom,  can take a group of high school kids and square off against the likes of Clemson and Alabama year in and year out. 

Also the Great area coaches like Carlock from Graham stick it out till the end.  From what I hear not the case here, I have heard he is packing up and selling out.  If this is true I guess Richlands don't mean as much to him as he does to Richlands.  I hope what I am hearing is not true.  City of Raven I am not interested, but now heres an opportunity to get you out of upstate New York and back in Ralphs 7 days a week mulling over your playbook.

He is retiring from teaching.  The jury is out on what he will do with the football stipend , Is Richlands home to him?  Will he keep the Stipend and retirement pay live in Richlands and continue to coach?  I understand retiring from the teaching job, you don't retire from the coaching job, there is no retirement from stipend pay, you quit the coaching job.  Rumor is he is packing up and moving, and wants nothing else to do with Richlands or Richlands football.  That is the rumor, I know a lot of people are upset.

In the Richlands News Press dated June 11, 1997, the TCSB approved the hiring of Coach Mance to lead the Blues as head coach.  That will be 20 years as head coach in June of this year.  He was an assistant before that, so roughly, 25 or so years on the coaching staff. 

Coach Mance has faithfully served the community of Richlands all these years, with immeasurable hours of preparation to make the Blues as successful as they are.  He and his staff put Richlands football on the map and made them a barometer that others wanted to be. 

To say he is a quitter, totally false (and that is name calling).  I wish him and his family the best in wherever and whatever their future plans are.  He will be missed by most and those who have other opinions, it doesn't matter.  He will have left a legacy at "Ernie" which will be hard to match.

This is an excerpt from BDT article dated 10/7/15 when Coach Mance  tied Coach Hicks with 167 most wins in Richlands history.

When Greg Mance took the job as head coach of the Richlands football team in 1997, then school principal Barry Yost got a good laugh at his expense.

"When I first got the job he asked me how long  I wanted to be the head coach and I said 'I would like to keep it for nine years to coach my stepson'", said Mance, of then-8-year-old Austin Fuller.  He had a belly laugh at my expense, he said "Two years is a long time here at Richlands."

Mance got the last laugh.

"It is an honor to be the head coach at Richlands High School in a town that loves football, that make the commitment," Mance said. 

"I am in year 28 and I am just praying to God to make it to 30."

Few programs have been better.  The Blues are 125-25 over that span, with four state championship game appearances. 

"We do the best we can and put our heart and soul into it," Mance said.  "Hopefully we do a good enough job to please our community and our school so that we get an opportunity to come back and do it again the following year."

I wish coach Mance all the best.  He has given Richlands 20 years of his life, and has been 100% dedicated to the football team and the community of Richlands. 

Best of luck in your future, coach Mance.  Richlands will always be indebted to you for what you brought both to the community, and to Richlands High School.

tbgfan, I didn't call him a quitter, that is yet to be seen.  He can only retire from his teaching job.   He will either have to quit or stay at the coaching position, he cannot retire from coaching at Richlands.  All I have said is that it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.  Rumors say he is packing up and leaving Richlands  for other coaching endeavors.  It is my opinion that the great coaches like Carlock from Graham stick it out.  If he quits coaching at Richlands I don't know what else you would call it besides quitting.  I just know that coaches jump on to kids and call them quitters all the time for quitting.  Everyone knows the upcoming talent in Richlands is slim pickings after next year.  I am just curious to see if he will be as loyal to Richlands during rocky times as you are to him now.

So he is not going to work after retiring? I heard he was going to another job. I just see it like this, Richlands has been good to him, the town stands up for him like you are standing up for him now. I know there are parents who want him to coach their children and are sad at the news he is leaving. I think this situation too will take time to tell, Is he going to stick with the town that put him on the map or quit and run to another job for his best interest. Time will tell. I hope your right, but he is only 50 I don't see him quitting with the love for football that he has. A lot of people are upset that he is just bailing out because rough times are ahead. Excited to watch this unfold.

He is older than 50...not much but still

When Richlands is posting season records of 1-9, 2-8 etc........  we will see how the fans feel then.    You can't stay on top forever and this head coach is smart enough to see that and it is my prediction he will leave before it happens.

This thread is supposed to be about the Tazewell coach.  Why the obsession with Richlands and coach Mance? 

That's actually a rhetorical question.  We know you're only here to troll and flame.  Carry on.

Well it is about the Tazewell Coach quitting and rumor has it the Richlands coach has made the announcement he is retiring from teaching and quitting his head football coaching position after the 2017/18 season.  No obsession, but a lot seem to be interested in coaches quitting and why.

Well it is about the Tazewell Coach quitting and rumor has it the Richlands coach has made the announcement he is retiring from teaching and quitting his head football coaching position after the 2017/18 season.  No obsession, but a lot seem to be interested in coaches quitting and why.

So you decided to make it about Richlands because of your jealousy.  Gotcha.

Id personally like to see him stay at Richlands , I think it would make his legacy better.  If he don't I think he sees something coming that even he (as great as he is) can't fix.

Id personally like to see him stay at Richlands , I think it would make his legacy better.  If he don't I think he sees something coming that even he (as great as he is) can't fix.

Again, this is about the Tazewell coach.  Try and stay on topic.  Don't expose your jealousy.  We've all seen it.  It's not anything new anymore.