New SWD This season or next?

bgibb

Is the new Southwest District coming into play this upcoming season? And if so, (other than Richlands lol) who are the favorites to win it or at least give the Blues a run for their money?

Never to early to start talking football.

With the current situation at Tazewell:

1. Richlands

2. Graham

3. Va High

4. Marion

5. Lebanon

6. Bye

7. Tazewell

That made me laugh way harder than it should have haha

Alright folks, let's give Tazewell a break. It will turn around soon enough.  May take a little time, they will still be young and most of their talent will very young.  Hopefully they won't give it up and stick it out and they'll be back before you know it.  Consistency is what they need.  Besides, Colobro didn't coach one single down this season and the other coaches were leading the weight lifting, so they are still in the same situation they were in at the end of the season, without a head coach.  There were several highly quality coaches who applied for the position, including some very good college ball players.  I think they need somebody young and enthusiastic who will get the kids out, that's what it's all about anyway, getting the kids to buy in and come out and play.  Colobro would have been there for 2 or 3 years max...

It will turn around soon enough. 

No it won't. 

They are now in a vicious cycle.  It started with the football parents back in the early 90s, now those kids that played in the early 90s have become the parents of the 20-teens.  The kids of today will be the parents of the 2020's and 30's.  Tazewell has become a graveyard for coaches.  The only way to stop it is too kill it...by that, I mean disbanding the football program until the "adults" finally realize THEY are the problem.

Until that happens nothing will change...

No it won't.

They are now in a vicious cycle. It started with the football parents back in the early 90s, now those kids that played in the early 90s have become the parents of the 20-teens. The kids of today will be the parents of the 2020's and 30's. Tazewell has become a graveyard for coaches. The only way to stop it is too kill it...by that, I mean disbanding the football program until the "adults" finally realize THEY are the problem.

This is exactly what I was afraid of for Tazewell. I would still have hope that a perfect mix of an excellent group of athletes and a good young coach could help get the train back on the track, BUT that death/disbanding may only come at consolidation if Tazewell County follows the lead of other counties.

I know Graham loses the qb, but return Reed on offense. Vineyard returns on defense, I believe.

Richands loses qb and top 3 receivers Howie, Ball, and Collins, as well as Landon Lowe on offense. Defensively they lose Elswick, Lowe, and Collins. They should be extremely solid on defense. On offense, they should be good, but look a little different. 4/5 of offensive line return (Begley graduates) and return an underrated running back in James White and receivers in Taylor Horn and Daniel Brown. Trey Brown will be a more than adequate replacement at QB by making up for passing prowess (he can pass very well) by adding the ability to run. Richlands is consistently solid each year, with the difference between state contender and regional being a game breaker.

Graham returns T. Cooke, J. Reed, C. Chinault and C. Allen on offense.... lot of firepower with those 4.  Hearing 2 more excellent ballplayers will be suiting up for the G-Men next season, but that is still in the rumor stage.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

C. Allen at QB will be a very dangerous player.  He can throw the ball "over them mountains" and has the ability to take it to the house.  They return Workman, Oaks, Mason, Raley at lineplay.  They should be solid.

Getting Lester to come back to Graham from Bluefield at LB will be a plus, that kid can fly around the ball...

No it won't. 

They are now in a vicious cycle.  It started with the football parents back in the early 90s, now those kids that played in the early 90s have become the parents of the 20-teens.  The kids of today will be the parents of the 2020's and 30's.  Tazewell has become a graveyard for coaches.  The only way to stop it is too kill it...by that, I mean disbanding the football program until the "adults" finally realize THEY are the problem.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but then I think, if Abingdon can do it, any one can.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but then I think, if Abingdon can do it, any one can.

What does that mean?  Care to elaborate cause I'm pretty sure Abingdon has never been in the situation Tazewell is.  But by all means Plywood,  enlighten us.

What does that mean?  Care to elaborate cause I'm pretty sure Abingdon has never been in the situation Tazewell is.  But by all means Plywood,  enlighten us.

Based on the criteria that GMan gave for a toxic program, Abingdon was in the exact same situation five years ago. Historically, I can't think of a school that has done less with more than Abingdon, and it was due to having a culture issue. I'm sure no one in Abingdon would like to admit it, but they didn't suddenly get good because they found a new coach with a better playbook. Reed's staff has changed the culture of Abingdon's football team and given them a hardnosed, winning mentality, something that had been lacking from the school for as long as I can remember.

What does that mean? Care to elaborate cause I'm pretty sure Abingdon has never been in the situation Tazewell is. But by all means Plywood, enlighten us.

You're right, Abingdon has never won a state championship, and hasn't made a state semifinal this millennium. Awful comparison, Tazewell has much more historical success.