Mountain v Southwest

redtiger

Last year I insisted in a thread that the Mountain was the better district, UVA Observer insisted that the Southwest was. Well last year he was right, I still say the Mountain was better in 2015. So, in 2017, which district will be the better one top to bottom?

Great thread topic.. as much as I want to go Mountain I'm not sure I can. I think both districts will be similar this season with Union and Richlands at the top and everybody else playing for 2nd. But I do think the remainder in the SWD are overall going to be better.

I think the SWD will be more top-heavy while the CMD will have more depth and balance.

I agree, but don't know much about Marion.

If the districts were combined, how would they fall? I'd have Richlands, Union, and Graham all on top (order TBD), but am clueless about the rest.

Best guess: Tier 2-Marion, Central, Virginia High, Gate City, Ridgeview

Tier 3:Battle, Lebanon, and Tazewell.

I don't know what happened to Lebanon, but they have seemed to have fallen off, though not as far as Tazewell. Am I missing a team?

If the districts were combined, how would they fall? I'd have Richlands, Union, and Graham all on top (order TBD), but am clueless about the rest.

I don't know what happened to Lebanon, but they have seemed to have fallen off, though not as far as Tazewell. Am I missing a team?

I'd swap Battle and Ridgeview, it's a mess up there and things aren't going in the right direction in Dickenson County while Battle was tough last season. Abingdon I'd slide in that second tier, they'd be in the first but I think they lose quite a bit, including Sturgill.

Beamer, what does Lee return? I know Rasnic is gone, are Pennington and Pendergraft gone too?

Pretty much spot on of what I would guess...

Top teams:  Richlands, Graham, Union (not sure how they will finish).... only team I know much about is Graham and they will be nearly as good as last season, maybe slightly better with the upgrade at the QB position and development of Chinault and Reed at RB's...  Hearing a couple of athletes transferring in...2 (possibly 3)..but those are rumors right now... you know how people talk.  Lineplay will be better, but I think Richlands will have the team to beat on the line of scrimmage and on the defensive side of the ball... Graham will be loaded offensively, again.  I don't know anything about Union, just that they are always good and well coached.

Middle Teams:  Marion, Va High, Gate City, Central, Ridgeview (Is Grayson in Southwest this year... if so, I'll put them at the bottom of the middle...I heard they were alternating districts every other year, which blows....L)

Lower Tier:  Lebanon, Tazewell, John Battle...

* Tazewell will be very young... in a couple of years they will be very competitive, I'm not giving up on them.... this is assuming they get a quality coach, which I feel confident that they will... there were some very good coaches in the pool of applicants before Colobro was hired.

Did I leave anybody out?

Union has quite a bit returning. Turner back at qb. Mitchell back of course. Also returning 2 other starting WR. Lost Jenkins at WR but have a good replacement that will turn out to be a good one. Zirkle, Owens and others back at RB. OLine will be a question mark, lost 3 starters there. D should be as good. Stidham back on DL is tough to handle. Have to replace a few secondary guys but the talent is there IMO.

If I was ranking all of the teams the SWD would occupy the top and bottom with the MD in the middle.

Richlands, Graham, Union

Abingdon

Marion, Central, Battle, Lee, VA High

GC

Lebanon, Tazewell, Ridgeview

If we did a round robin no team escapes undefeated, and the Mountain probably finishes with the better win percentage but it would be damn close. Football competition in this area is really good, not the highest level overall but really good games. The MD was full of close games last season

City of Raven. Can you recommend a wine and tapas establishment near the new multimillion dollar school? I hear the school is state of the art. Surely there are some upscale places for our refined Abingdon palates!! Lol

Actually, I would put Sugar Hill Brewery in St Paul up against anything Abingdon has to offer. But once you're past St Paul the pickings are slim. If I was Abingdon I would go through Wise, idk that they can handle Dante Mountain.

Actually, I would put Sugar Hill Brewery in St Paul up against anything Abingdon has to offer. But once you're past St Paul the pickings are slim. If I was Abingdon I would go through Wise, idk that they can handle Dante Mountain.

I would not go that far. It is good but Wolf Hills is pretty solid. Not speaking for my personal taste... They have won several tasting competitions and such. 

Good for Wise Co/St Paul for having something cool like that though. Maybe Wise/Norton will catch on and jump on the St Paul train. They seem to have some forward thinking going on. 

Wolf Hills probably has better beer but the food at Sugar Hill is really good.

Wise/Norton needs to step up. A brewery with live music would do great out around the college but Wise is a little frumpy on that sort of thing. Its just a matter of time. St Paul is actually doing some pretty incredible stuff

Wise/Norton needs to step up. A brewery with live music would do great out around the college but Wise is a little frumpy on that sort of thing. Its just a matter of time. St Paul is actually doing some pretty incredible stuff

Of course they have better food. WH does not sell food haha. 

But I agree, Wise is behind on the times. Something brewery ish would make killer money near UVAW. Live music Fri/Sat while school is in would pour in money. 

City of Raven. Can you recommend a wine and tapas establishment near the new multimillion dollar school? I hear the school is state of the art. Surely there are some upscale places for our refined Abingdon palates!! Lol

Nothing near Ridgeview at all unless you want to make a side trip to Haysi and hit the Pizza Factory.

I seen you post about this place on Facebook.  Going to have to stop in one of these days.  

I would not go that far. It is good but Wolf Hills is pretty solid. Not speaking for my personal taste... They have won several tasting competitions and such. 

Good for Wise Co/St Paul for having something cool like that though. Maybe Wise/Norton will catch on and jump on the St Paul train. They seem to have some forward thinking going on. 

Wolf Hills is a nice little place.  Love their honey cream ale and double IPA.

I didn't see much food offerings on their menu that I thought I would enjoy.  I stopped at Creek Bottom in Galax (at least I think that's what it's called), after the Riverheads game last season, and they had some great food offerings, but I didn't have time to eat.  Just got some of their beer instead.

You all do realize there is a large number of people that live in Abingdon that are originally from Wise, Scott, Russell, and Dickenson County right?  So Dante Mountain is nothing new to most of us, especially since some of us have  plenty of back roads experience. High Knob to Big Cherry Lake, Driven all over Sandy Ridge, Goerges Fork, Bull Run, Rabbit Ridge.  Although the road will be better, and I'm sure most would drive through Norton and take 23 to Pound and then over to Clintwood.

Theres a lot of people from Wise/Scott/Russell/Dickenson that live in Abingdon now but their kids aren't and most of the parents aren't.

23 is the best route imo    Just a much easier drive if you aren't used to the roads

I'd swap Battle and Ridgeview, it's a mess up there and things aren't going in the right direction in Dickenson County while Battle was tough last season. Abingdon I'd slide in that second tier, they'd be in the first but I think they lose quite a bit, including Sturgill.

Beamer, what does Lee return? I know Rasnic is gone, are Pennington and Pendergraft gone too?

BW Abingdon will graduate 20 seniors from the football team and replacing a 2 time all-state QB and several other all-state players is a tough task, but there are 60+ players that have been learning from those seniors and 38 middle school players coming into AHS this coming fall as freshman.  The Jr and Soph classes are talented in their own right.  Many of those kids have gotten significant reps the last couple of years.  I will say the Falcons will be young but they certainly have a foundation of success to build on. 

BW Abingdon will graduate 20 seniors from the football team and replacing a 2 time all-state QB and several other all-state players is a tough task, but there are 60+ players that have been learning from those seniors and 38 middle school players coming into AHS this coming fall as freshman.  The Jr and Soph classes are talented in their own right.  Many of those kids have gotten significant reps the last couple of years.  I will say the Falcons will be young but they certainly have a foundation of success to build on.

But any time you have to break in a new QB, esp one following such a stud in Sturgill, the team will regress unless they have another stud to slide right in.

I figure AHS will win 7-8 games but fall short of the better teams. What about you? What's the OOC schedule like?

But any time you have to break in a new QB, esp one following such a stud in Sturgill, the team will regress unless they have another stud to slide right in.

I figure AHS will win 7-8 games but fall short of the better teams. What about you? What's the OOC schedule like?

I don't disagree with the logic.  Any team replacing the caliber of players we will be graduating has to take a small step back.  Sturgill was a stud and will do very well for himself at the next level.  He was he main cog.  But that cog alone doesn't run the machine.  7-8 games sounds about right.  If the summer workouts continue like the past they will be ready.

Like Richlands, we should be pretty good defensively.  We didn't lose as many on that side of the ball.

OOC?  Everyone we play in SWVA is OOC for us.  We are the only 3A team on this end of the state.  The only 3A or higher teams we are Pulaski, Christiansburg, and Hidden Valley.  2A we have Battle,GC,Ridgeview,Central,VHS,Lee,and Union.

I am excited to see Abingdon play the other MD teams. I know they have played GC in the past but its a good change. Abingdon and Union will be an interesting matchup and definately helps Unions power point situation rather than playing Eastside or TW.

OOC?  Everyone we play in SWVA is OOC for us.  We are the only 3A team on this end of the state.  The only 3A or higher teams we are Pulaski, Christiansburg, and Hidden Valley.  2A we have Battle,GC,Ridgeview,Central,VHS,Lee,and Union.

Actually the conferences never existed in football.  It has always been districts in football, so John Battle, Gate City, Ridgeview, Central, Lee and Union are all district games for you.

The conferences also will cease to exist for all the other sports once this spring season ends.  What has yet to be explained though is how Abingdon can compete for regionals in all the other sports excluding football considering they're the only 3A team in a 2A district.