Galax...

GMan

There has been a growing disconnect between a couple of school board members, the superintendent and the rest of the community for over a year now.  The festering isn't going to end with Dixon's departure either.  It's a sad situation when the actions of a few completely destroy the first real success this community has ever experienced.  Some people can't handle or accept the success of others.  Jealousy is a real thing!

If Dixon is indeed leaving, and all indications are he is, he isn't the first.  Yerrick Stoneman stood up to he current administration last year and was fired as a result.  

Find it hard to believe that they would let Coach Dixon resign.  Nothing has been in the newspapers.  Nothing is confirmed.  

Small town with a newspaper that only circulates three days a week.  The Roanoke Times won't have it until after The Gazette does.  They don't report on Galax anyway unless somebody gives them the story.

Sixcat is right on money Im afraid......it happened a little sooner than many thought but those incidents this past fall had some momentum,....bled into basketball and even spring participation in sports and weight room

Dixon isn't the first coach to leave under suspect, at best, circumstances.  Two other coaches were fired in recent years for standing up to administration.  Dixon fought a good fight against administration but ultimately, it got to be more than he was willing to tolerate.  He will not be the only football coach on the current staff to leave the football program, either.  

I love that Dixon is taking the high road publicly and he should.  I just wish the truth about what has been going on behind the scenes since this administration took over would come to light for more people to see.  To an extent, it has on Facebook, especially this week, but not enough people outside this area see it.

Dixon isn't the first coach to leave under suspect, at best, circumstances.  Two other coaches were fired in recent years for standing up to administration.  Dixon fought a good fight against administration but ultimately, it got to be more than he was willing to tolerate.  He will not be the only football coach on the current staff to leave the football program, either.  

I love that Dixon is taking the high road publicly and he should.  I just wish the truth about what has been going on behind the scenes since this administration took over would come to light for more people to see.  To an extent, it has on Facebook, especially this week, but not enough people outside this area see it.

Please continue sixcat

Please continue sixcat

Do your own research into Yerrick Stoneman.  That rabbit trail is easy enough to follow.  He was an eleven year assistant at Oak Hill Academy (the real team, not the B team) before taking over the girls basketball program at Galax to coach is twin daughters.  An administrator wanted his daughter to play varsity basketball as a freshman.  Yerrick refused, stating she simply wasn't ready and was fired before the season ended.  He took over the program at Ridge View in Columbia, SC.  They won the State Farm Classic and reached the 4A Final Four in his first season.  The guy can flat out coach his ass off.  And what about the administrators daughter?  She was on the jv team again this year as a sophomore which says a lot given the girls varsity team only had 8 players for the season.

I will point out the fact that City Council is, at least in part, complicit in all of this.  School board positions are appointed, not elected in Galax.  Get a handful of "like-minded" folks elected to City Council, they control not only city governance but the school system as well.  It becomes a "buddy system" where they control everything and attempt to control everyone.  If one were to look into the timeline of serving in either role, the pattern is very easy to follow.

Keep an eye on the athletic department as a whole when the new school year begins.  It will look very different!

Interesting. I remember hearing something about the girls coach being ousted, landing a new gig, and having some success. Sucks for Galax.

Wasn't Dixon/City Council working together to bring field turf to the field though? Seems like they at least were on the same page there. As a complete outsider, maybe Dixon jumped ship due to rocky waters in the past few months. Maybe talent is somewhat drying up and this was a good exit point. 

Interesting. I remember hearing something about the girls coach being ousted, landing a new gig, and having some success. Sucks for Galax.

Wasn't Dixon/City Council working together to bring field turf to the field though? Seems like they at least were on the same page there. As a complete outsider, maybe Dixon jumped ship due to rocky waters in the past few months. Maybe talent is somewhat drying up and this was a good exit point. 

Dixon has turned down college opportunities in the past.  We all knew this day was coming.  The way it came is the issue.

It's not a talent issue, believe me.  This crop of middle schoolers have the potential to be dominant and I don't say that lightly.  We will see how that goes now.  A lot of parents are already talking about transferring their kids.  

I'm not sure how other localities operate but in Galax, city council appoints school board members and, in conjunction with the superintendent, decide how the school system resources are spent.  City council doesn't control the school system spending.  They only appoint the school board members.  So, the school system is free and clear to spend an exorbitant amount of money on something completely unnecessary for an aging and shrinking population.

I am not convinced turf will ever come to fruition anyway.  

• 2 weeks later...