Galax...

GMan

1 hour ago, dukey said:

Rumor floating around also that Dixon will return to Galax next season as FB Coach.....hearing anything of that sort Sixcat?

I wouldn't hold my breath!  That is wishful thinking coming from the kids from what I understand.

45 minutes ago, CoachInHiding said:

From what I've heard he has rescinded his Resignation letter and couldn't have played this better....Turned in his resignation the day after the last board meeting....got what he wanted and rescinded it the day prior to the next board meeting 

I haven't heard anything about it and it wasn't discussed at the city council meeting last night.  I will pass along anything relevant from tonight's school board meeting.  Plus, there is this.....https://www.applitrack.com/gcps/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Athletics%2fActivities

Something is going on that has gotten the attention of city council, though  We were at the city council meeting last night and administration was chastised publicly for issuing construction plans for bid for the new "stadium" without city council approval.  That whole fiasco is getting quite contentious. 

Edit to add.....school board meets the second Tuesday of each month which would have been a week prior to his resignation, not the day after.  

From what I have heard....emphasis on "heard" he is awaiting a college opportunity but has informed school board members he will resume past duties i.e. HFC at Galax if it   does not pan out.  Super has been" made aware"  of plans.  Sixcat usually  on target in this area so I await  any info he can provide

1 minute ago, dukey said:

From what I have heard....emphasis on "heard" he is awaiting a college opportunity but has informed school board members he will resume past duties i.e. HFC at Galax if it   does not pan out.  Super has been" made aware"  of plans.  Sixcat usually  on target in this area so I await  any info he can provide

Check your private messages.

Dixon to remain at Galax

By Craig Worrell, Sports Editor
Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 12:17 pm (Updated: April 12, 3:19 pm

excerpt:

When Galax football coach Mark Dixon submitted his resignation several weeks ago to pursue the chance to coach in college, he didn't entirely rule out returning to the high school ranks some day.

That day turned out to be Tuesday.

http://www.galaxgazette.com/content/dixon-remain-galax

great state

9 hours ago, local_insight said:

Who's the line coach Richlands got from Galaxy? Heard something about it but not a good source. 

They didn't hire anyone...

The "something" I mentioned before that has gotten the attention of city council is very likely the fact that this appears to be a coordinated effort to attempt to force city council to pay for the football field renovations.  City council has made it clear, school board will have to figure out how to pay for the field on their own.  The $1.7 million dollar winning bid was accepted at the school board meeting Tuesday night.  Yes, you read that right. $1.7 million dollars.  Many grade levels at Galax are making due without textbooks yet school board approves this fiasco.  Shows where priorities lie. 

Many, many local residents have lost a tremendous amount of respect for Dixon for this "orchestrated-strong-arm-tactic" (city council members words, not mine), myself included!  It's time for local residents to elect city council members who are willing to fix these issues with school board rather than ignore them and hope they go away!

So what is "Head Varsity Assistant Football Coach"? And why does the job description read like Head Football Coach except for this line:

"REPORTS TO: The head football coach, who provides overall objectives and final evaluation in 
conjunction with the high school principals."

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/12/2017 at 11:15 PM, local_insight said:

Who's the line coach Richlands got from Galaxy? Heard something about it but not a good source. 

Wishful thinking.

I was thinking of the LA "Galaxy" when I read this, that wouldn't be beneficial either

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2017 at 10:22 AM, sixcat said:

The "something" I mentioned before that has gotten the attention of city council is very likely the fact that this appears to be a coordinated effort to attempt to force city council to pay for the football field renovations.  City council has made it clear, school board will have to figure out how to pay for the field on their own.  The $1.7 million dollar winning bid was accepted at the school board meeting Tuesday night.  Yes, you read that right. $1.7 million dollars.  Many grade levels at Galax are making due without textbooks yet school board approves this fiasco.  Shows where priorities lie. 

Many, many local residents have lost a tremendous amount of respect for Dixon for this "orchestrated-strong-arm-tactic" (city council members words, not mine), myself included!  It's time for local residents to elect city council members who are willing to fix these issues with school board rather than ignore them and hope they go away!

School system should have saved up for field work

While being a current athlete and coach, I am excited about the possibility of having a smooth surface to play on, however the priorities of the city has been to increase education, create jobs and grow tourism.
A revamped field does not address these concerns. While discipline and physical education is a byproduct of athletics, the current field has not prevented our football team and soccer team from winning state titles.
Also, while the city is already having to refinance debt in order to pay for an elementary school renovation, oftentimes one has to borrow money for a need, but it is never a good idea to borrow money for a want.
Attempts have been made to get money from the NFL, and athletic boosters have not garnered much traction.
The lesson we often teach our kids in the community is if you want something, you should save up for it.
Ches R. Helmick
Galax

This was a letter to the editor of the Galax Gazette printed in yesterday's edition.  Mr. Helmick is a city councilman and very successful financial adviser with Edward Jones in Galax.  This letter is quite tame compared to a lot of other sentiment around town!