Mitchell Stadium Rent increasing.

futbolking

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

so you want to spend a million to save 50K?

I've heard Tazewell has a private source for the turf funding. Just depends on if they'll allow it or not. 

I have set back and watched this for a while.  Bluefield has not raised the rent much since they first imposed it nearly 20 years ago, which was before the Field Turf was installed.  I know the fee includes use for Middle School and JV games.Turf was put in as a gift from June Shott (God Rest Her Soul.)  Replacement is having to come from local funds.  That said the City Manager is very savvy.  $50,000 is probably going to be negotiated down to $40,000 or so.  All sides come out looking good.  BTW since it is late in everyone's budget preparations, the new fee might also get put off to next year.

Since I am old, and been around a while, I have seen this come up a few times.  I doubt TCPS is going to spring for any new multi-million dollar facilities when they are in the process of looking at long term needs in light of declining enrollments.  You can also make a lot of $50,000 per year payments for what it would cost to amortize a $3,000,00 - 5,000,000 debt service on a new stadium.  A new stadium will come when High Schools are consolidated, and I am not holding my breath on when that will happen.

48 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

The turff is available if TCPS choose to have it installed!

Be aware, it's never just one thing when dealing with permitting agencies for purposes of construction.  Stormwater collection, treatment and effluent systems will be required to some extent before any turf surface is allowed to be installed.  A stormwater collection system necessary to meet those permitting agency requirements will cost a quarter-of-a million-dollars minimum. 

When the turf needs replacing in 10 years, the stormwater system will again have to be brought up to meet whatever the requirement is at that point.  The old saying is, new governor, new stormwater reg's.  It's a vicious cycle that will never pay for itself.

6 hours ago, Hacker said:

I have set back and watched this for a while.  Bluefield has not raised the rent much since they first imposed it nearly 20 years ago, which was before the Field Turf was installed.  I know the fee includes use for Middle School and JV games.Turf was put in as a gift from June Shott (God Rest Her Soul.)  Replacement is having to come from local funds.  That said the City Manager is very savvy.  $50,000 is probably going to be negotiated down to $40,000 or so.  All sides come out looking good.  BTW since it is late in everyone's budget preparations, the new fee might also get put off to next year.

Since I am old, and been around a while, I have seen this come up a few times.  I doubt TCPS is going to spring for any new multi-million dollar facilities when they are in the process of looking at long term needs in light of declining enrollments.  You can also make a lot of $50,000 per year payments for what it would cost to amortize a $3,000,00 - 5,000,000 debt service on a new stadium.  A new stadium will come when High Schools are consolidated, and I am not holding my breath on when that will happen.

Bluefield, WV has already done that which you have described.  It is typical negotiation posturing.  It it is very refreshing to hear a voice of reason in a thread where many folks are batting .000.

1 hour ago, futbolking said:

From what I hear.  Turf, new grandstands possibly.  

On 4/27/2017 at 7:36 PM, UVAObserver said:

Bluefield, WV has already done that which you have described.  It is typical negotiation posturing.  It it is very refreshing to hear a voice of reason in a thread where many folks are batting .000.

On 4/29/2017 at 5:37 PM, futbolking said:

Had my doubts, but I will not doubt you again sir. 

Haha, no big deal. When you work for the county you hear some things from time to time!