James Mitchell...

GMan

Kid is impressive on the grid iron!  Hope he tears it up from Day 1 and eventually represents SWVA on Sundays. I think he has a good chance at it. ...even though it's probably a little too early to tell.  

Good for Mr. Mitchell, I hope he goes on to greater gridiron glory. If he can get with the right team, he can play in the League.

Union High School Retweeted

James Mitchell‏ @j_mitch82 50m50 minutes ago

Blessed to say I've received my 13th offer from ETSU, and also given the opportunity to play both sports there  (football and basketball)

great state

16 hours ago, trublue said:

Union High School Retweeted

James Mitchell‏ @j_mitch82 50m50 minutes ago

Blessed to say I've received my 13th offer from ETSU, and also given the opportunity to play both sports there  (football and basketball)

great state

Somehow, I don't think ETSU is going to win the James Mitchell sweepstakes.

If ETSU gets Mitchell, I'll eat my hat. But stranger things have happened. It would be cool to see both Mitchell and McClung at ETSU, maybe throw Ervin from GC in to. That would be a nice mid major basketball squad.

I heard his Tennessee visit really blew him away and made think about them really hard. Knowing what I know now as an adult I would go to the best school to get a degree from and think about life after sports. I really don't care where he goes, it just does me proud to know that Southwest Virginia can still produce D1 talent.

I know a guy that knows a guy... It's my understanding that it's still pretty wide open but family being able to attend games is important, so the ACC schools have a BIG advantage over the SEC schools. 

Leaders,

Duke - best education available with a decent football team and Cutcliff can run a Offense

Clemson - defending National Champions, a great HC and their use of TEs fits him well

VT - he's a lifelong fan, Fuente is building something special, their use of TEs fits him well

honorable mention,

UVA - great education and in state but abysmal football program at the moment

UT - top notch facilities but family won't be able to attend many games

no chance,

everyone else 

Redtiger your geography doesn't add up, Knoxville is closer to Big Stone than Blacksburg. As are most of the SEC East schools are closer than all the ACC schools. I hope he goes to the school he wants to go to and  being a fan of something doesn't always mean it is the best thing for you. And all schools recruit multiple athletes at multiple positions.

Duke, NC St, Wake, UNC, UVA, VT, Clemson, Louisville, GT (9 schools) are all being under 6 hour trips.   ND, Pitt, FSU, Miami, BC and Syracuse are long trips.

UGA, UK, Vandy, USC, UT would be the only SEC schools under 6 hours(5 schools) .  TA&M, Missouri, LSU, Ole MIss, Miss St,  Arkansas, Bama, Auburn, UF are all LONG trips.

The ACC definitely offers his parents the opportunity to see more games in person, its not even close

40 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Duke, NC St, Wake, UNC, UVA, VT, Clemson, Louisville, GT (9 schools) are all being under 6 hour trips.   ND, Pitt, FSU, Miami, BC and Syracuse are long trips.

UGA, UK, Vandy, USC, UT would be the only SEC schools under 6 hours(5 schools) .  TA&M, Missouri, LSU, Ole MIss, Miss St,  Arkansas, Bama, Auburn, UF are all LONG trips.

The ACC definitely offers his parents the opportunity to see more games in person, its not even close

Auburn and Tuscaloosa are only a little over 6 hours from Big Stone Gap, too. Around 6 1/2 hours to either.

55 minutes ago, redtiger said:

It's close enough not to be a meaningful factor.

Say that the finalists are VT and UT (the current teams pegged at 3rd and 2nd in his recruitment).  7 of the 12 games will be at home every year, and as listed above, Knoxvegas is closer to BSG than is Blacksburg.  As VT's cross-division opponent is BC, that's one of those 6+ hour trips that his family makes at least twice.  UT plays Bama every year as a "cross-division" rival, which is much closer to that window than is BC.  In terms of divisional opponents, UTK has 2 in the 6+ hour category, while VTU has 2.  That's a total wash. 

If anything, this really benefits the SEC on the whole.

I don't care where he goes, he seems to be a top notch kid with a pretty good head on his shoulders, I want him to realize his full potential and represent Southwest Virginia and he can do that at Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia or Tech or wherever he ends up at. I think that our wishful thinking as fans sometimes leads us to grasping at straws, to try to figure out every avenue possible that a certain player should go to "our" favorite football factory. I have an opinion on where he should go but no one in the Mitchell family has ask me, so my opinion doesn't matter! Just do what's best for you James Mitchell and let the chips fall where they may.

One possible complication with Mitchell to UT that I was expecting just committed in Jacob Warren.  He is from Knoxville and plays at Farragut, and his dad was an OL at UT in the 90s.   Mitchell rates out a little better prospect as Warren needs to beef up his frame even more than Mitchell at the moment.  I hope it isnt a conflict but things like that can affect some decisions.