James Mitchell...

GMan

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of it is just we have more info than we have ever had about recruits and offers but I wonder how James Mitchell's recruitment compares to the Jones brothers and Ahmad Bradshaw?  I know in the internet era it doesn't seem like we've ever had a kid in SWVA with the kind of offers that James Mitchell has.

8 hours ago, techfan said:

I know a lot of it is just we have more info than we have ever had about recruits and offers but I wonder how James Mitchell's recruitment compares to the Jones brothers and Ahmad Bradshaw?  I know in the internet era it doesn't seem like we've ever had a kid in SWVA with the kind of offers that James Mitchell has.

"Recruiting" as we know it really didn't come into its own until the late 90s, at the earliest.  It would be hard to equate the offers of the Jones boys to what they'd receive today.

As for Ahmad's, let's say that (1) an early committal and (2) off-field issues kept very many suitors at bay.

11 hours ago, techfan said:

Health Miller, class of 2001 had some big offers if I'm not mistaken.  I don't know if that's internet era or not.  Coleman Thomas of Fort Chiswell had offers from Tennessee, Florida State, WVU, VT, UVA, and Maryland.  Florida State is certainly big time football, but he was still a 3 star on Rivals.  James Mitchell is a 3 star on 247 sports and a 4 star on Rivals.  Since the early 2000's, he would be ranked higher than anyone in SWVA that I can think of regarding recruiting ranking and offers, etc.  However, Jake Houseright was ranked higher out of Gate City than both Jones brothers and was the 31st ranked player in the United States by SuperPrep, but this was before the boom of the internet (internet was already around though).  Houseright and both Jones Brothers were on at least one High School American list.  Both Jones bro's were honorable mention USA Today All-Americans, but Houseright was an All American on most of them including Prepstar, NRA (no longer around, former recruiting ranking service), and Superprep.  In the last 25 years, if going by recruiting ranking only (not future success in NCAA or NFL) but by recruiting ranking out of High School only, Jake Houseright would be the highest ranked recruit out of SWVA slightly ahead of both Jones Brothers. 

I would say the Richlands game will be his biggest regular season game for scouts to come see him play in and the biggest test for him to show that he's a 4⭐️Recruit! I have nothing but love for the kid hope he signs with a big time program!!! But we all know this will be his biggest game of the regular season to get scouts to come watch!!!

18 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Aren't they playing Morristown West in Morristown this year?  I think scouts could probably find Morristown on a map before they could find Cedar Bluff.  Lol.

edit:  Oh the game is in BSG this year, my bad.  :D

If teams are interested, they will come to BSG for this game. By far the best talent they will play.

10 hours ago, BlackWolf5 said:

I would say the Richlands game will be his biggest regular season game for scouts to come see him play in and the biggest test for him to show that he's a 4⭐️Recruit! I have nothing but love for the kid hope he signs with a big time program!!! But we all know this will be his biggest game of the regular season to get scouts to come watch!!!

True. Playing well against Richlands is his only chance to sign with a big time program!

6 hours ago, EH31 said:

True. Playing well against Richlands is his only chance to sign with a big time program!

Duh. You haven't figured out yet that Richlands is the measuring stick for the whole state? You don't preform against us, you just ain't cut up for it, kid. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jake Houseright from Gate City had a bunch of D1 offers as did Chad Beasley, both went to Tech. I heard through the grapevine that Tennessee thinks there in good shape with him, they have a top three class in the country right now and have huge recruiting momentum.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Jake Houseright from Gate City had a bunch of D1 offers as did Chad Beasley, both went to Tech. I heard through the grapevine that Tennessee thinks there in good shape with him, they have a top three class in the country right now and have huge recruiting momentum.

Tennessee, don't get me started. They have more issues in the locker room than they have ever had on the field. They had one of the most solid teams in the country last year, but the coaching staff couldn't keep them together on or off the field. 

The new hires at UT seem to really be off to a hot start with recruiting but I do still have my concerns with Butch at the helm.  TN already has a commitment from a similar type of TE from either the Knoxville or Nashville area which concerns me about them possibly landing Mitchell.